Couple long distance thermal foxes....

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Couple long distance thermal foxes....

Post by brinny » 02 Mar 2018, 7:24 pm

Heres a couple from the other night....
this was around the 350m mark....
https://youtu.be/h8uN8et-Whc

This one was stepped out at 392m....
https://youtu.be/irflX-l4Bqs
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Couple long distance thermal foxes....

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2018, 7:54 pm

Good shoot'n...
What round brinny...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 02 Mar 2018, 8:12 pm

Stix wrote:Good shoot'n...
What round brinny...?

Cheers Stix....204R mate.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2018, 9:25 pm

Ok cool...thats a decent range...
Can i ask your load details...powder proj etc...?
You may have mentioned it in the past but i csnt be bothered to look...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2018, 9:46 pm

What I love about thermal is that quite often you can nail a few targets before they understand what's going on. Check the giant bunnies in the 2nd video, barely a hop after the shot before settling back into feeding.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andreweden » 02 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm

Nice!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 03 Mar 2018, 12:45 pm

great effort :clap: :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 03 Mar 2018, 2:51 pm

Stix wrote:Ok cool...thats a decent range...
Can i ask your load details...powder proj etc...?
You may have mentioned it in the past but i csnt be bothered to look...

No worries Stix....Loads are 25.7 grns BM2 pushing a 40 grn V-Max....seem to get good accurate results from the load.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Mar 2018, 8:56 pm

Ok thanks brinny.
I was curious as i want to try 40grnr's in the one i use...
I got some 40grn vmax & 32 nos varmageddn to try in 204...
But i havnt got past the 32 Zmax's...they're just fantastic for the price.

I figured id have to use the 40's on foxes for the extra weight of them...but thats not the case so far.

The furthest ive dropped one is only just under 200yds, & the 32 zmax's are emphatic so far...

Infact loaded up with trail boss, velocity wise it appears very similar to be right smack bang inbetween a 17&22 cal hornet...so having all the options is great.

I have a load with BM2, but actually use 2208 purely because i have that in 4kg...& although the 2208 load is not as fast, it turns out better figures on the chrono & tighter grouping...

Anyway... you didnt ask so ill zip it...
Cheers brinny
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 03 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm

Stix wrote:Ok thanks brinny.
I was curious as i want to try 40grnr's in the one i use...
I got some 40grn vmax & 32 nos varmageddn to try in 204...
But i havnt got past the 32 Zmax's...they're just fantastic for the price.

I figured id have to use the 40's on foxes for the extra weight of them...but thats not the case so far.

The furthest ive dropped one is only just under 200yds, & the 32 zmax's are emphatic so far...

Infact loaded up with trail boss, velocity wise it appears very similar to be right smack bang inbetween a 17&22 cal hornet...so having all the options is great.

I have a load with BM2, but actually use 2208 purely because i have that in 4kg...& although the 2208 load is not as fast, it turns out better figures on the chrono & tighter grouping...

Anyway... you didnt ask so ill zip it...
Cheers brinny

Well Stix.... I'm very interested to hear what others are using load/ rifle wise.... isn't that what forums are all about.... I haven't gone down the chrono track yet as I don't generally get that critical about loads... speed wise that is... but now semi retirement has happened I think I will look into things with a bit more interest.... in a huge fan of the 17s... having had 17 Mach 4, 17 rem, and 17 rem fireballs... out of all those I have had, the fireball was the trickiest. Took a long time to perfect a load for it that the rifle actually liked and shot well... I sold it ( mistakingly) to fund the thermal purchase... so I don't have a 17 at the moment.... I run a Sako 85 varmint in 223 as well and run the same powder and projectile in it only 50 grn and have exceptional accuracy with it as well... I picked up some 8208 a while ago to try... they say it burns cleaner than BM 2.. but yet to try it out....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2018, 12:07 am

Well the 204 i use is a tikka t3.
I hear that 8208 is the nucks duts for the 204...
So id be keen to hear how you go with it.

Im guessing you dont get over here too often, if could meet id be happy to strap the chrono on your barrel so you get some velocities.

What area of Vic are you in round-a-bouts...? (You may have mentioned it before but i dont recall)
I do shoot on a property close(ish) to vic border...

Shame about your 17...im too scared to sell any rifles as i hear too many regret stories...
But if you switch back to a 32grnr with the 8208 you should hit 4k fps so you wont need your 17...
(I hit 4k with mine accidentally, charged cases with bm2 in weight of the 2208 load--whoops--never done that before--but it was perfectly safe--but my eyes popped outa my head when i saw the numbers on the chrono... :shock: :lol:

I also have a sako varmnt 85 in 22-250, but sadly dont get much time with it...infact i still dont have a load for it...the only proj ive tried in it doesnt shoot--(or i cant shoot it...)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 04 Mar 2018, 7:28 am

brett1868 wrote:What I love about thermal is that quite often you can nail a few targets before they understand what's going on. Check the giant bunnies in the 2nd video, barely a hop after the shot before settling back into feeding.

.....I was like “man I can’t see any rabbits only kangaroos...”
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 04 Mar 2018, 7:54 am

Stix wrote:Well the 204 i use is a tikka t3.
I hear that 8208 is the nucks duts for the 204...
So id be keen to hear how you go with it.

Im guessing you dont get over here too often, if could meet id be happy to strap the chrono on your barrel so you get some velocities.

What area of Vic are you in round-a-bouts...? (You may have mentioned it before but i dont recall)
I do shoot on a property close(ish) to vic border...

Shame about your 17...im too scared to sell any rifles as i hear too many regret stories...
But if you switch back to a 32grnr with the 8208 you should hit 4k fps so you wont need your 17...
(I hit 4k with mine accidentally, charged cases with bm2 in weight of the 2208 load--whoops--never done that before--but it was perfectly safe--but my eyes popped outa my head when i saw the numbers on the chrono... :shock: :lol:

I also have a sako varmnt 85 in 22-250, but sadly dont get much time with it...infact i still dont have a load for it...the only proj ive tried in it doesnt shoot--(or i cant shoot it...)

Ive heard the same about the 8208....so thought i would give it a try.....Once i find a load that works i generally dont fart around too much with them....but there is always room for improvement with new products that come available...
I come from the Bacchus Marsh area here in vic...so by the sounds of it you are interstate......so distance may be a problem....however now that the retirement thing has kicked in....im planning some trips....one in particular will be to Queensland on the Chital, Rusa, reds, wild dogs, pigs etc...(making up for lost time)....I have a mate up there that is a proffesional trapper and he has a fair few contacts which is pretty handy....
I am still currently an earthmoving contractor with around 20 bits of heavy gear and that has kept me tied up for a lot of years, decades in fact, so now the reins have dropped and things are getting cut way back....time for some me time.....

I have every intention of getting another 17 (or two)...and they will stay in the gun safe untill the final curtain....like you say....i should never have sold them as i do regret it big time....

I will end up with a crono just to see where things are going , also it will give me another interest, as i have my own range set up on my property and can set up there whenever i want to test loads out, which is pretty handy....

Interested to see how the 8208 goes and will load up some bullets in the next round, so will let you know how they fair.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2018, 8:40 am

Bloody hell that thermal is good kit .pity id have to sell my a@#e to afford it :lol:
I guess I'll have to keep cob&co'ing a torch to the fore end til I win Lotto :violin: :lol:
Bloody nice shooting brinny :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 04 Mar 2018, 9:46 am

Awesome watching the thermal videos. Love reading about the different loads in the 204 etc. The 204 is probably my favourite calibre. Mine doesn't stabilise the 40gr Vmax. But loves the 32gr Vmax. Bought 5x500 boxes when i could get them for $88 per 500. I tried ar2208 at the start but since switching to benchmark 8208 haven't looked back. The 8208 metres really well through the slightly slimmer neck of the 204 case.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2018, 10:12 am

Yes cooper...thats the only annoying thing charging 204 cases with 2208...
Its "tip slowly or tap a lot"...!

So whats your load & velocity mate...do share...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 04 Mar 2018, 12:58 pm

Stix wrote:Yes cooper...thats the only annoying thing charging 204 cases with 2208...
Its "tip slowly or tap a lot"...!

So whats your load & velocity mate...do share...

Seeing the name cooper there is a bit ironic as it happens to be my last name..... :D

Keen to hear about the loads your using in the 204 to cooper....

Have to be honest Stix....I havent ran the 32 grn projectiles through the 204.....be worth the exersize and load some up and try them out....
One thing i did notice with the 17 rem fireball...is the faster i had them going, the less accurate it became.....had them beefed right up to compression and the rifle hated it.....tries a few different projectiles ands settled on the 20 grn V-max....wouldnt shoot the 25 grn hollow points to save itself.....So after slowing it down considerably by backing off the powder.....it shot well....I found with the 17 Rem Fireball.....faster isnt always better....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2018, 4:02 pm

Ah ok...& fair enuf sbout the velocity brinny...
I wrongly assumed you liked the velocity out of the 17...everyone ive ever spoken to just raves about that side of it.

So, yes mate i strongly suggest trying the 32's mate...im astounded at the efficiency of them...but ive never owned or played with small cal super fast rounds before.

The same (very similar) velocity (im around the 3600fps mark with both 204 & 250) with 50 grnrs in the 22-250 absolutely destroys foxes--no good for pleasant viewing or pelts...
But the 32's in the 204 are so far what id call perfect...one shot in the chest & they fall over right there-no exit-& if i dont hit bone its often hard to find entry wound immediately...

Those 32g Zmax's really are efficient little rippers...

How ever, i would say be wary of head shots with them--the proj's dont have the momentum to carry past the first bit of bone before completely disintergrating so if you hit snout front on it will do pretty horrific damage (ultimately mortal but not nice for the fox) but not penetrate the head...but you would know that from the 17's i guess--so i dont mean to tell you how to suck eggs...!! :thumbsup:

Im not sure how the 32's go energy wise at the ranges you shoot at though...
But still worth a crack mate... :thumbsup:

Im nearly through a box so i gotta buy another one soon...
Now ive discovered the trail boss loads i use it for 200yd plinking up the farm--can shoot constantly & barely get warm...so churn through the pills now...

The trailboss loads are also good for letting young newbie's have a crack...can let them have a decent few shots without pulling them up after just 3 or 4 & telling them to came back in 20 mins.

Gotta fire up the bbq now...a wood one so will prob piss the neighbours off...!!!
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 04 Mar 2018, 5:38 pm

Stix wrote:Ah ok...& fair enuf sbout the velocity brinny...
I wrongly assumed you liked the velocity out of the 17...everyone ive ever spoken to just raves about that side of it.

So, yes mate i strongly suggest trying the 32's mate...im astounded at the efficiency of them...but ive never owned or played with small cal super fast rounds before.

The same (very similar) velocity (im around the 3600fps mark with both 204 & 250) with 50 grnrs in the 22-250 absolutely destroys foxes--no good for pleasant viewing or pelts...
But the 32's in the 204 are so far what id call perfect...one shot in the chest & they fall over right there-no exit-& if i dont hit bone its often hard to find entry wound immediately...

Those 32g Zmax's really are efficient little rippers...

How ever, i would say be wary of head shots with them--the proj's dont have the momentum to carry past the first bit of bone before completely disintergrating so if you hit snout front on it will do pretty horrific damage (ultimately mortal but not nice for the fox) but not penetrate the head...but you would know that from the 17's i guess--so i dont mean to tell you how to suck eggs...!! :thumbsup:

Im not sure how the 32's go energy wise at the ranges you shoot at though...
But still worth a crack mate... :thumbsup:

Im nearly through a box so i gotta buy another one soon...
Now ive discovered the trail boss loads i use it for 200yd plinking up the farm--can shoot constantly & barely get warm...so churn through the pills now...

The trailboss loads are also good for letting young newbie's have a crack...can let them have a decent few shots without pulling them up after just 3 or 4 & telling them to came back in 20 mins.

Gotta fire up the bbq now...a wood one so will prob piss the neighbours off...!!!
:drinks:

Dont get me wrong mate....i like velocity...no worries there....its just the 17 fireball didnt, it looked like i had shot the target with a shotgun shooting BBs....bloody frustrating to say the least....and this was happening consistantly...untill i slowed her up a bit and it improved outstandingly...The best group i shot with it...and thats when i knew i was on a winner (finally) was a four shot group at 150m inside a one cent coin....tackholed....and was the beginning of the downfall of a heck of a lot of foxes i can tell you....

https://i.imgur.com/bxnuXV1.jpg

Im heading into Ballarat in the next day or so to pick up my Polaris RZR shooting buggy i have had getting a lot of work done to it before the fox shooting onslaught starts in earnest, so i will pay a visit to the LGS and get some 32s and give them a go....combine them with the 8208 and start a new chapter....
I dont really target foxes out at distance as per the last vids...I was just to lazy (and unfit) to go chase the buggers...i think they just might have been a tad unlucky they got me on a good night....I tend to try to keep the range reasonable, generally up to a couple of hundred meters max as a rule....but every so often will have a crack at a distance shot....

How do you like your triggers?....i have mine very fine, hair in fact at 4-6 oz.....thats is only on my fox rifles....

Bar-b-que sounds great mate.... :drinks: best of luck with the neighbours....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2018, 9:49 pm

A polaris eh...good one...!! (Im envious)...a farmer has one & id love to use it...especially as you say with the season approaching...!!..

If your mostly out to those shorter ranges you should have no problem with 32's...ive not hit a fox that hasnt fallen down immediately--well a 200 yarder couple of weeks ago took one step forward as it fell-i only picked it for 120 or so yards through the scope though--bad guess--..but thats the furthest ive hit so far. (Its still a young rifle in the field--its tally is only about 12 foxes i think).

I wont have time to sort a load for 40grnr's in the 204 before the fox fun starts...ive got another new 22-250 to get sorted load wise yet...& id like to have that resdy on the back seat for the just in case long shot.
Hopefully it likes 50gr Zmax or the 55 superroo/game kings as i have a new box of each of them...

As for the triggers, yes the tikka triggers are generally pretty good-nice & crisp when they let go, but a little heavy even though i have them wound all the way back..
I have 3 T3's all up & one of them has a little creep in its trigger, but its a walkabout hunter outfit so not as critical--the creep is only "just" there so i only feel the creep after half dozen shots off a bench--dont feel the creep at all when out bush bowling over goats.

It would be nice to get them nearly as light as the Sako--im not sure of pull weight of any of them, but the Sako is light enough wound all the way back.
I should try a cheap ebay light trigger spring...

The bbq was not bad...its a new cheap smoker & it did piss the neighbours off...!! I heard their window slam shut...lmao...but the guy is d1ck head so i dont care.
Tried smoking some chicken & threw half a bunny in there...
The thermostat s**t itself while cooking--i saw the temp drop off so i stoked the fire more & more, & then a bit more until i realised it was cactus- :shock: -whoops- :roll: -so it cooked a little quicker than anticipated, :unknown: but was not bad all the same. :drinks:

I was impressed with the bunny actually, smoked flavour was quite appealing & i thought worked well. something ill experiment more with... :thumbsup:

Anyway...got lotsa brass to prep this this week...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics