good scope mounts

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

good scope mounts

Post by newgunner » 24 Mar 2018, 7:46 pm

hi guys,
just wondering what are some good medium height scope rings?
are warne any good?
for a vortex viper scope hs-4309 4-16*44 30mm tube
one that came with the tikka i bought this morning look like s**ty pro tactical ones

thanks
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: good scope mounts

Post by Wombat » 24 Mar 2018, 8:10 pm

Be careful not to overtighten the rings on the Vortex, they specify a lower than normal torque. I dont have any 30mm scopes so cant comment on the rings, but Warne have been around for a long time.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Mar 2018, 8:14 pm

for a tikka I like mounts that fit the grooves on the receiver
the reason is that using rails/bases ect gives another thing that can go wrong and I have seen the rails/bases fall off tikka's from the screws failing
I use warne mounts for a couple of my brno's and rate them up there :thumbsup:

and I know the salesman will tell you that rails and bases are the go,
ask if he will sell them to you with mounts at the same price as the mounts that are fitted straight to the receiver grooves, I think not :shock: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by newgunner » 24 Mar 2018, 8:29 pm

thats good advice,marksman.
i will look into that as soon as possible :)
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by wheedle » 29 Mar 2018, 2:17 pm

marksman wrote:and I know the salesman will tell you that rails and bases are the go,
ask if he will sell them to you with mounts at the same price as the mounts that are fitted straight to the receiver grooves, I think not :shock: :lol:

"They have the best profit margi....er.... quality."

:lol:
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MJW380 » 29 Mar 2018, 7:32 pm

Had a DNZ game reaper on my tikka, was going to go a rail and rings, but at $90 odd it was half the cost of seperate pieces and a major improvement over the factory rings
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Mar 2018, 5:43 pm

Would you consider a pic rail and Burris Signiture Zee rings? The inserts protect the scope and provide extra cant if you need it. These rings have been used to shoot world record groups so they work well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 30 Mar 2018, 5:58 pm

The Nightforce ultra Light while not cheap were better than I expected compared to their Heavy duty version. The 6 screw UL was lighter than the 4 screw extreme duty steel vs alloy. I have heard a lot of people using the Burris on everything.
The only ones I dont like are the ones that have a band that is tightened around the tube some even have this as part of the attachment to the rail.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by southwest shooter » 31 Mar 2018, 12:45 pm

DNZ .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by burek » 31 Mar 2018, 3:28 pm

If you don't care about having a rail, it's hard to go past DNZ game reaper. This is medium height, 30mm and 42mm objective on my Tikka T3X:

lel.jpg
lel.jpg (341.45 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 31 Mar 2018, 3:53 pm

Another vote for DNZ Gamereaper. Affordable and the two i have had have been very well made and took bugger all to zero. Speaks to good manufacturing toerances, i reckon.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Mar 2018, 4:11 pm

Yep I like bridge mounts like DNZ or Tasco or Lynx - got quite a few rifles with different brand bridge mounts and never had to touch any of them once installed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics