Vortex Scopes?....

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Vortex Scopes?....

Post by Joffa » 05 Apr 2018, 1:11 pm

Hey,
Anyone got Vortex scopes?
Good or bad opinions welcome.

Looking at a 6-24x50 for rimfire 3P, field and silhouette..
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Vortex Scopes?....

Post by deye243 » 05 Apr 2018, 1:50 pm

I only had a couple ...... vortex hs lr 4-16x50 xlr ffp and vortex viper 6-24x50 pst and could not get rid of them quick enough
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Apr 2018, 2:11 pm

deye243 wrote:I only had a couple ...... vortex hs lr 4-16x50 xlr ffp and vortex viper 6-24x50 pst and could not get rid of them quick enough

Why is that exactly? Genuine interest, not goading.

I have two of the lower end and for the money they work quite well for my uses. No good for dialling up and down or dialling for windage but good enough as a set and forget hunting scope. Shoot under light out to 160m as the longest so far but can make out detail under light out at 250m when I've used it to scope (as far as my light beam goes, really). These are Diamondbacks.

Used the 3-9x40 out to 600yd at the range and managed ok until the weaknesses in the turrets became apparent with constant dialling for windage and elevation. That's when I bought a Sightron.

There was a Vortex PST floating around the club and it was pretty good to sight through and tracked well and held zero for two years with about 3-4 different people using the same rifle and constantly changing everything.

No experience with their top end range.

Still interested to know why Deye243 dislikes them so much as I know he's a good shooter and likes decent gear....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 05 Apr 2018, 2:21 pm

gday Gwion thanks for the complement now I will say this the tracking on these 2 scopes was as good as my

2 nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 ...... but on any power above 18 they were both like looking through a curtain it was

like a milky haze or fog ....... I now truly believe in the buy once cry once saying I will never regret spending the

money on a NF scope even thinking of putting a SHV on my 223 now you can get them with the NXS dials ...

just my 2 bobs worth cheers
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 05 Apr 2018, 2:24 pm

oh and a mate had a viper PST in 4-16 and it was fine
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 05 Apr 2018, 2:44 pm

Hey Joffa,
I run the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp (ebr-2c reticle) on my target rifle and the Vortex 4-12x44 Crossfire II - (BDC recticle) on my scrub gun. As an armature to the gun world, I can't fault them. I haven't noticed any tracking issues with either of mine and fine the clarity fine. The BDC isn't perfect, but that was to be expected. There would be a plethora of differences between how the reticle was calculated and set, to my specific set up. which is above my pay grade.

Lastly their customer service is second to none.
I rate them highly.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 05 Apr 2018, 3:05 pm

I’ve got a few of the viper pst’s, a 2.5-10x32, 4-16x50, couple of 6-24x50 and one of the gen 2 5-25x50. Was happy with the gen 1s until I got the gen 2 which is a noticeable step up.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 05 Apr 2018, 3:24 pm

I use a 4-12x44 crossfire on the 223 for spotlighting out the car window , good as gold for what I want .
Admittedly you can buy much better scopes its just about what your use is and how much tou want to pay .
I can't fault vortex scopes .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Apr 2018, 7:25 pm

I have the crossfire rimfire 2-7 for my .22, best scope I could find for $200.
Bigjobss

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Apr 2018, 7:36 pm

I had a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 hst it wouldn't track properly ,X - hair was lopsided when the scope was level ,found
out the inside was loose and twisted and couldn't be fixed they offered me a new one but I spooked and bought a Swarovski z3
I wouldn't buy one again but that's just me once bitten twice shy
Member-Deleted

Post by juststarting » 05 Apr 2018, 9:21 pm

Mulder030 wrote:Hey Joffa,
I run the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp (ebr-2c reticle) on my target rifle and the Vortex 4-12x44 Crossfire II - (BDC recticle) on my scrub gun. As an armature to the gun world, I can't fault them. I haven't noticed any tracking issues with either of mine and fine the clarity fine. The BDC isn't perfect, but that was to be expected. There would be a plethora of differences between how the reticle was calculated and set, to my specific set up. which is above my pay grade.
I rate them highly.

+1
Same scopes same response from me
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 06 Apr 2018, 9:34 am

Thanks for the input guys.
I think based on the mixed reviews and the “good for the price” comments, I might just pay a bit more and go something better, maybe Leopold or smiliar price is within my budget at the moment.

Cheers
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2018, 10:28 am

Mulder030 wrote:Hey Joffa,

I rate them highly.

Mulder. You can go to Votex ballistic calculator and plug in you reticle and ammo specs and you will be able to print out a drop chart specific to your ammo and scope and even get values at various magnifications.
Last edited by Gwion on 06 Apr 2018, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2018, 10:37 am

deye243 wrote:gday Gwion thanks for the complement now I will say this the tracking on these 2 scopes was as good as my

2 nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 ...... but on any power above 18 they were both like looking through a curtain it was

like a milky haze or fog ....... I now truly believe in the buy once cry once saying I will never regret spending the

money on a NF scope even thinking of putting a SHV on my 223 now you can get them with the NXS dials ...

just my 2 bobs worth cheers

Isn't it strange; I have heard/read similar things about Viper & HST scopes not being clear at higher magnification but almost all reports on the PST are positive from clarity and tracking point of view. I have heard a few complaints about PST but they are mainly "nowhere near as goos as my Swaro/Zeiss/etc... which is kind of to be expected as they are comparing the mid range PST to scopes that are competing with the premium Vortex Razor....

On another note. I was using my Diamondback 3-12 last night to cull wallabies and possums with my 22lr (disclaimer: under crop protection permit!!!) On dusk I started having issues seeing clearly with my naked eye if there was a pest or a tussock at 40-60m but the scope set on 3 was more than enough to clearly distinguish the two and gave a good sharp image right up to last light where I would have needed a torch to see clearly.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 06 Apr 2018, 2:25 pm

I think there's a lot of the old boys, ooo you only should buy brand X scope attitudes. I have a few mid and high range vortex scopes and I have no issues with them. I also have like 3 Leupold to compare them against.

I was asking for one in lower magnification range from the guy at my LGS... Response: no, we don't sell trash. I said that I actually have the upper range trash and it was out with me climbing and walking and dropped and banged and what not and it's pretty good. I also asked him to back it up, pretty much put him on the spot, because at that stage I was certain he was spewing zealot mentality.

Response: they are made in Philippines.

That was his entire argument. Apparently, you only should buy scopes made in Europe, lol. And maybe couple that with a safari hat and long socks.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 06 Apr 2018, 2:33 pm

Gwion wrote:Mulder. You can go to Votex ballistic calculator and plug in you reticle and ammo specs and you will be able to print out a drop chart specific to your ammo and scope and even get values at various magnifications.

Honestly, wasn't aware off the calculator. I will be looking into it though. Is it App or Web based?
I am still trying to confirm a load for that rifle as well. so up until this point its been an ever changing factor.

Thanks for the heads up on it though.
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2018, 2:38 pm

Mulder030 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Mulder. You can go to Votex ballistic calculator and plug in you reticle and ammo specs and you will be able to print out a drop chart specific to your ammo and scope and even get values at various magnifications.

Honestly, wasn't aware off the calculator. I will be looking into it though. Is it App or Web based?
I am still trying to confirm a load for that rifle as well. so up until this point its been an ever changing factor.

Thanks for the heads up on it though.

There may be an app but i have just used the one on their website.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Apr 2018, 3:06 pm

My 6-24x50 was made in the Philippines and the hst are all made there
I suppose to choose a scope it all depends on how reliable you want it as a hunting scope or plinking scope
as for scopes made in Europe well they are tried and tested that's why they demand big money for them but there are many scopes
that are made else where such as nightforce although expensive and the ones made in the USA ''not made in USA like the hst''
sooner or later the ones made in Europe will drop the eight ball because of the costs to build them it will be out of the price range of
the average shooter
As for the vortex hst you can't build a good scope with what they offer for the price they ask for them that's why they sub let the contract
to the Philippines
I for one wouldn't buy another vortex built outside the USA but its no good saying some scopes are no good as you get what you pay for
as in everything
If you need a good scope then save up and buy a good one regardless of brand they all make very good scopes at a price one that
you like if you want one for plinking then buy a cheaper one
I can't afford expensive ones but I save up and buy once ,cry once never been let down
Member-Deleted

Post by nightforcenxs » 06 Apr 2018, 6:10 pm

i have the 6-24x50 HST and its nice the only complaint i have is on max magnification it can be a little hard to get a clear picture without clouding but it still hasnt stopped me doing a 1 inch group at 200 yards i also have a 8-32x56 nightforce nxs and its extremely clear but so it should be for 2500 but dont be put off the vortex they are still fine scopes
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Apr 2018, 10:17 am

I have recently bought a second hand vortex viper 6-24 pst
I paid $750 delivered and am extremely happy with it
it has a bit of fuzzyness at full power but up to 22 power can be adjusted to crystal clear
it has all the bells and whistles you would get for a lot more money, I'm happy with it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 24 Apr 2018, 3:18 pm

In the end I spend over an hour browsing scopes at the gun shop and decided on getting an Athlon scopes argos btr 8-34x56.
I was torn between a Swarovski and the one I picked.
In the end the Athlon was a great deal, very clear sight picture approx. 90% of the quality of the Swarovski at almost half the price.
I particularly love the side parallax adjustment and the first plane reticle, which is superfine with with accurate hold over marks at any magnification.
It does get slightly hazy beyond around 24x magnification, but nothing detrimental. Seeming it’s going on a .22 I don’t think it will be an issue!!
Just waiting for Lithgow to send my rifle to the dealer :violin:
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Archie » 24 Apr 2018, 3:50 pm

Not quite the same thing, I've never had a Vortex rifle scope but my go-to binos are Vortex and so is my spotting scope. Always found them excellent. I haven't been able to notice a material difference between the view on them and the view out of my rilfe scopes (most of which are Swaro). I'm sure there is some, and obviously thanks to recoil the rifle scopes might take more of a beating, but on the brand alone I'd happily but Vortex products again.

I think with optics in particular then once you spend a reasonable amount to get a decent product, beyond that point you can get to a scenario where the last 10% of performance comes at triple the cost, very easily. That line about "spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle" does make some sense, but it makes a lot more sense if what you are talking about is a $300 rifle than a $1500, $2000 or more rifle.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Joffa » 24 Apr 2018, 4:45 pm

Archie wrote: That line about "spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle" does make some sense, but it makes a lot more sense if what you are talking about is a $300 rifle than a $1500, $2000 or more rifle.

It’s funny you say that and I haven’t heard that particular saying before, although have heard similar phrases to it.
But I paid $1070 for my .22 and $1050 on the scope, so I guess you could say I was on the money quality wise :lol:
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 07 May 2018, 10:18 pm

I put a 24x Leupold on my $50 22LR, it didn't shoot any better but I could see my misses much better at 200 metres.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mulder030 » 11 May 2018, 8:22 am

That line about "spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle" does make some sense, but it makes a lot more sense if what you are talking about is a $300 rifle than a $1500, $2000 or more rifle.[/quote]

[quote="SCJ429 wrote:
I put a 24x Leupold on my $50 22LR, it didn't shoot any better but I could see my misses much better at 200 metres.

That is my scenario exactly.
O'mark - $300
Vortex PST - $1500

And Yep - Clearly see my misses. :lol: :D
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics