Vortex Scopes?....

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Vortex Scopes?....

Post by nightforcenxs » 06 Apr 2018, 6:10 pm

i have the 6-24x50 HST and its nice the only complaint i have is on max magnification it can be a little hard to get a clear picture without clouding but it still hasnt stopped me doing a 1 inch group at 200 yards i also have a 8-32x56 nightforce nxs and its extremely clear but so it should be for 2500 but dont be put off the vortex they are still fine scopes
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Apr 2018, 10:17 am

I have recently bought a second hand vortex viper 6-24 pst
I paid $750 delivered and am extremely happy with it
it has a bit of fuzzyness at full power but up to 22 power can be adjusted to crystal clear
it has all the bells and whistles you would get for a lot more money, I'm happy with it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 24 Apr 2018, 3:18 pm

In the end I spend over an hour browsing scopes at the gun shop and decided on getting an Athlon scopes argos btr 8-34x56.
I was torn between a Swarovski and the one I picked.
In the end the Athlon was a great deal, very clear sight picture approx. 90% of the quality of the Swarovski at almost half the price.
I particularly love the side parallax adjustment and the first plane reticle, which is superfine with with accurate hold over marks at any magnification.
It does get slightly hazy beyond around 24x magnification, but nothing detrimental. Seeming it’s going on a .22 I don’t think it will be an issue!!
Just waiting for Lithgow to send my rifle to the dealer :violin:
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Archie » 24 Apr 2018, 3:50 pm

Not quite the same thing, I've never had a Vortex rifle scope but my go-to binos are Vortex and so is my spotting scope. Always found them excellent. I haven't been able to notice a material difference between the view on them and the view out of my rilfe scopes (most of which are Swaro). I'm sure there is some, and obviously thanks to recoil the rifle scopes might take more of a beating, but on the brand alone I'd happily but Vortex products again.

I think with optics in particular then once you spend a reasonable amount to get a decent product, beyond that point you can get to a scenario where the last 10% of performance comes at triple the cost, very easily. That line about "spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle" does make some sense, but it makes a lot more sense if what you are talking about is a $300 rifle than a $1500, $2000 or more rifle.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Joffa » 24 Apr 2018, 4:45 pm

Archie wrote: That line about "spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle" does make some sense, but it makes a lot more sense if what you are talking about is a $300 rifle than a $1500, $2000 or more rifle.

It’s funny you say that and I haven’t heard that particular saying before, although have heard similar phrases to it.
But I paid $1070 for my .22 and $1050 on the scope, so I guess you could say I was on the money quality wise :lol:
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 07 May 2018, 10:18 pm

I put a 24x Leupold on my $50 22LR, it didn't shoot any better but I could see my misses much better at 200 metres.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mulder030 » 11 May 2018, 8:22 am

That line about "spend at least as much on your scope as you do on your rifle" does make some sense, but it makes a lot more sense if what you are talking about is a $300 rifle than a $1500, $2000 or more rifle.[/quote]

[quote="SCJ429 wrote:
I put a 24x Leupold on my $50 22LR, it didn't shoot any better but I could see my misses much better at 200 metres.

That is my scenario exactly.
O'mark - $300
Vortex PST - $1500

And Yep - Clearly see my misses. :lol: :D
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics