Hakko scopes

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Hakko scopes

Post by bigpete » 06 Apr 2018, 11:19 am

Looking at perhaps buying a hakko 8x56 with a 1" tube for my 22/250,anyone have any experience with that brand ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Hakko scopes

Post by Rod_outbak » 06 Apr 2018, 11:53 am

Is this scope new? I heard a few years back that Hakko had gone broke, but never heard why(or even if that was correct).

Had one about 10 years ago.
I think mine was something like a 6-16x56 or something like that.
I was told (at the time) the glass in them was made in the same factory as Nightforce, but I dont really know what that even means.
Lens factories likely make glass for dozens of different scopes these days...

I had it on my 243 for a while; never found it great. It seemed to be a bit dark for my liking, and especially when spotlighting.

Not long after buying the Hakko, I ended up with a Nightforce NXS, and found the NF scope was MUCH brighter.
Mind you; the NF scope has a 30mm tube, so that likely helped with the low light.

I sold the Hakko to a roo-shooter mate. He loved it, so likely it was just me.
I've bought a couple of Nightforce SHV scopes since then; worth the extra money, in my opinion.

My experience with Hakko was ho-hum, but the bloke who bought mine from me seems quite happy with it.

Sorry; doesnt help much.

Personal preference; If I was going to buy another scope that wasnt Nightforce, I will look at Meopta, Vortex, Nikon and maybe Leupold, before I'll consider Hakko.

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Apr 2018, 12:22 pm

I cant answer about the Hakko scopes but I personally would want a bit more than 8 power for a 250, just my opinion :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 Apr 2018, 1:20 pm

Even at the very pointy end of scopes there are differences and personal preferences. There are lots of comments about March scopes having a darker sight picture than a Nightforce. I noticed a slight difference between my Nightforce Competition 52mm O compared to a Nightforce Benchrest 56 O. The NF BR is clearer glass than its more expensive NF NXS which is a fair bit more expensive. Now with a lot more experience I would not have paid the extra for the NXS it does have the side parallax but if shooting off hand I can never adjust it while pointing the rifle. I can with the AO. The NXS illumination is not as good as the others either just on or off. However I have really never needed the illumination.
Again my opinion I like a reticle that is graduated it helps in holding off. It gives you hash marks that you can line up with something then adjust a mark either way depending on POI.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigpete » 06 Apr 2018, 5:40 pm

marksman wrote:I cant answer about the Hakko scopes but I personally would want a bit more than 8 power for a 250, just my opinion :thumbsup:

What for ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Apr 2018, 5:41 pm

sungazer wrote:Even at the very pointy end of scopes there are differences and personal preferences. There are lots of comments about March scopes having a darker sight picture than a Nightforce. I noticed a slight difference between my Nightforce Competition 52mm O compared to a Nightforce Benchrest 56 O. The NF BR is clearer glass than its more expensive NF NXS which is a fair bit more expensive. Now with a lot more experience I would not have paid the extra for the NXS it does have the side parallax but if shooting off hand I can never adjust it while pointing the rifle. I can with the AO. The NXS illumination is not as good as the others either just on or off. However I have really never needed the illumination.
Again my opinion I like a reticle that is graduated it helps in holding off. It gives you hash marks that you can line up with something then adjust a mark either way depending on POI.

No way in hell I can afford a night force
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 06 Apr 2018, 6:26 pm

bigpete wrote:
marksman wrote:I cant answer about the Hakko scopes but I personally would want a bit more than 8 power for a 250, just my opinion :thumbsup:

What for ?

head shots at 250-300 :unknown: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 Apr 2018, 6:41 pm

Sorry for the rambling it was more just to point out even buying expensive is not as easy as just picking the most expensive one. You can get the second hand BR scopes for about $1k at that point it is IMHO good value.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 06 Apr 2018, 6:47 pm

I know nothing of those scopes, sorry mate...

But you must have great eye sight bigpete...!!!

Admittedly my eyes are really bad, but id want out to 16-18 power. on a 22-250.
Infact having said that, ive got a cheap bushnell that goes out to 15x on a new 22-250 & i found that good for the 2 critters i knocked over with its first 2 shots in the paddock last weekend.

And the first critter was a crow in the very last throws of daylight at a good 180 yds in a 10-15 mph full value crosswind...i guessed the hold off & managed to put the shot through the middle of its torso & the bullet exited removing its opposite wing...the crow didnt even flutter, it just lay there.
There is no way id personally be able to make that shot with a scope at 8X, but thats blind old me...! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

I've always run no more than 8x on my spotlighting rifles and could consistently head shoot roos out to 250m under the light,so I don't feel any more power is necessary at all. Clarity is more important than magnification. Hell,I've shot foxes out past 250 with a 4x on a 308 under the light before,body shots though.
Anyway,none of that is answering my question really
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Apr 2018, 7:31 pm

Hecj you guys will hate what I'm putting on my 17hmr ! :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Apr 2018, 7:53 am

bigpete,

I put a Nightforce SHV MOAR 5-20x56 on my 7mm-08 in 2014, and I find that in lower light, the magnification stays down around 5x-7x most of the time.

I've nailed roos way past 250m using 7x.

20x is great in broad daylight, but sucks severely at night!

What is the Point-Blank Zero for a 22-250?

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Apr 2018, 9:32 am

I know quite a few guys who use the 8x56 kahles scopes for spotlighting and have seen them shoot very well
crystal clear optics, they have been trying to get me on board and buy one for years but I suppose its personal opinion
I like more and have no problem at all with a higher power variable scope I can turn down to about 12-14 power for spotlighting out to 300
I shoot as well as them but during daytime can turn my scope up to 24-32 if I want :thumbsup:
I also like illumination in a scope used for spotlighting but I suppose that's not answering your question is it :sarcasm: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

I forgot to answer the question "what is the point blank range of a 22-250"
I sight my 22-250 with 50gr projectiles at 250 with a mv @ 3750fps and consider the mpbr to be 275 although the drop at 300 is only 2.66"
it is very easy with a steady rest to head shoot to 300 and where I have estimated range wrong I get a neck shot
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 10 Apr 2018, 8:54 am

Getting back on topic.
I have a Nikko 8x56 from the 80's that I suspect was made by Hakko.
It is a good reliable scope, in fact too good to give away for the peanuts it might fetch.
Hakko only started widespread marketing under their own name once the high volume contract scope production moved to China.
As I understand it Hakko no longer exists.
The 'Nikko' scope I have is very reliable and solid but the optical qualities are inferior by direct comparison to the S&B 8x56 that I now use. Then again it is a sighting device not a camera lens and it did it's job quite well. It is also slightly bulkier.
Something that is not generally understood are the advantages of a fixed power scope over a variable.
There are generally 5 lens groups in a fixed power versus 7 lens groups in a variable so this means an immediate advantage in terms of light transmission irrespective of any advertising gobbeldy gook about the magic of lens coatings.
Another advantage is that there are less moving parts that can cause problems.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 10 Apr 2018, 9:25 am

straightshooter wrote:Getting back on topic.
I have a Nikko 8x56 from the 80's that I suspect was made by Hakko.
It is a good reliable scope, in fact too good to give away for the peanuts it might fetch.
Hakko only started widespread marketing under their own name once the high volume contract scope production moved to China.
As I understand it Hakko no longer exists.
The 'Nikko' scope I have is very reliable and solid but the optical qualities are inferior by direct comparison to the S&B 8x56 that I now use. Then again it is a sighting device not a camera lens and it did it's job quite well. It is also slightly bulkier.
Something that is not generally understood are the advantages of a fixed power scope over a variable.
There are generally 5 lens groups in a fixed power versus 7 lens groups in a variable so this means an immediate advantage in terms of light transmission irrespective of any advertising gobbeldy gook about the magic of lens coatings.
Another advantage is that there are less moving parts that can cause problems.

Agreed. I've got fixed powers on most of my rifles and virtually have never felt the need for a variable except in a small handful of cases
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Scopes, sights and optics