Torque setings on scope rings

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Torque setings on scope rings

Post by newgunner » 09 Apr 2018, 7:23 pm

hi guys,
another request for your knowledge
I have a Vortex hs-4309 4-16-44 scope it says in the viper manual to only tighten the scope ring screws to 18 inch/pound,but the
instructions with my warne maxima rings says to tighten the scope ring screws to 25 inch/pounds.
which one is the best to follow, i don't want to damage the scope?

thanks
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Torque setings on scope rings

Post by deye243 » 09 Apr 2018, 7:29 pm

follow the scope rec always
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 09 Apr 2018, 9:45 pm

:thumbsup:
deye243 wrote:follow the scope rec always
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Apr 2018, 9:51 pm

it depends on what the rings are made from,
steel rings would be between 22-25 inch pounds but ally would be no more than 18 inch pounds
bases and windage screws are even more
you will not hurt a well made scope from tightening the rings to 25 inch pound
as long as everything is in good alignment :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 09 Apr 2018, 10:39 pm

Another of those controversial topics.....Personally I ignore the scope manufacturers and use the specifications supplied with the rings. I also invest in quality rings with a preference for NightForce 6 screw extreme duty on the big recoilers, Sako Optiloks, NF Std Duty, Sphur, Leupold, Barrett, Warne and several other makes can be found in the safe though.

This is why I like the NightForce eXtreme duty alloy rings...the specs are difficult to locate but simple to follow.

Nightforce Torque Specifications
• Base attachment screws - 25 inch pounds
• Ring top screws - 25 inch pounds
• Ring crossbolt nut - 68 inch pounds

Anyone wanna start a fight about to lap or not to lap ? :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 09 Apr 2018, 11:26 pm

Anyone wanna start a fight about to lap or not to lap
NOT again I have a lapping kit so I use it I have a fat max so I use it (Torque wrench) but if I did,t have them it would not be the end of the world and its the rings that are holding the scope the company who makes them sets the torque settings for that ring the scope maker does not know what rings your using.
Who uses ring tape? or loctite/nailvarnish
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 10 Apr 2018, 6:41 am

It was a specific question about mounting his Vortex scope. A bit of research into Vortex scopes will show quite a few mentions of damage due to over tightening rings.
Following their instructions will not damage the scope tube, going tighter may or may not.
When he was asking about rings I cautioned him regarding torque on Vortex scopes.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 10 Apr 2018, 6:41 am

I don't own a torque wrench so I tighten the rings til the scope doesn't move then whack my palm hard on the stock if nothing moves they're tight enough!! :lol: :drinks:
Should add I don't own any expensive scopes!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 10 Apr 2018, 8:38 am

I do have a torque wrench and use it on the ring bases. Then when it clicks I give them another quarter turn as it doesn't feel tight enough. :lol:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by brett1868 » 10 Apr 2018, 9:47 am

Vortex of course recommend 18 in/lbs because that's the spec on their rings. Why not split the difference and go 21.5 in/lbs? :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Apr 2018, 10:19 am

I don't worry about torque settings, I just put em on and do em up by feel, always have and always will, haven't had one come loose in over 40yrs so guess this method works.

It's funny how things change, these days we need special tools to ensure we are getting the correct pressure on scope rings etc, glad I don't have to worry about all that bulls**t. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 10 Apr 2018, 11:20 am

bigfellascott wrote:I don't worry about torque settings, I just put em on and do em up by feel, always have and always will, haven't had one come loose in over 40yrs so guess this method works.

It's funny how things change, these days we need special tools to ensure we are getting the correct pressure on scope rings etc, glad I don't have to worry about all that bulls**t. :D

I have and use the tools but believe you are spot on bigfellascott :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by newgunner » 10 Apr 2018, 12:07 pm

Yea i was thinking of splitting the difference and using 21 inch pounds on the rings and 23 inch pounds on the base screws
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics