Night Vision - visible vs invisible IR illumination

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Night Vision - visible vs invisible IR illumination

Post by winton » 19 Apr 2018, 1:39 pm

Hi Y'all

Gonna take the plunge into night vision and decided that thermals albeit better for feral hunting at night is just way over my budget.

I've settled on a Yukon Photon scope for my rifle and am mulling a thermal monocular (budget dependant) as compliment to my system. Although realistically, I may end up buying an IR mono due to lack of funds. Going to use the mono to scout and the IR scope to shoot, thus doing away with the spotlight.

The Yukon photon comes with invisible and visible IR illumination models. I'm assuming the non visible ones don't have great range, but they are a hundred dollars more expensive. I intend on augmenting the system with an additional IR illumination in the 850nm range anyway.

My question to those with experience is, is there any point getting the invisible IR illumination scope?

Mostly going to use it for foxes and rabbits. don't think rabbits mind the red light of 850nm, but are there likely to be redlight shy foxes?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Night Vision - visible vs invisible IR illumination

Post by YoungBuck » 19 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

From the distance you are going to be pinging them from they will be unlikely to even notice it.
And when you say red light, it's just the LED/s that illuminate red. 850 and 900nm is still invisible to the naked eye, be it rabbit or fox. The difference is that you can see the led light up on 850nm.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 19 Apr 2018, 4:39 pm

Thanks, so I guess I'll be getting the inexpensive model. Save myself a hundred bucks.

You guys know any good night vision monoculars for max 300 bucks? Or should I go the NV binoculars? (again, max 300 bucks)
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Apr 2018, 6:13 pm

winton wrote:Thanks, so I guess I'll be getting the inexpensive model. Save myself a hundred bucks.

You guys know any good night vision monoculars for max 300 bucks? Or should I go the NV binoculars? (again, max 300 bucks)

Are you talking $US or $AUS? I just bought a Bushnell equinox 4.5 x 40. It works OK, but I'm not blown away by it. I'm hoping with a bit more use I'll get to understand how to use it more effectively, but in hind sight I don't think I'd lay my money down again, I'd save up until I could buy something more serious. Some things on the box list would be lower magnification, and ability to control the amount of backlight on the screen. Altbough the Bushnell has a range of settings, they don't really dim the screen that much, and when you've been looking through it for a few minutes, you have basically now vision out of that eye until it adapts to the dark again. I found the 4.5 x zoom too difficult to retain situational awareness. Ohh yeah, it's a battery munching thing as well
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by marksman » 19 Apr 2018, 8:26 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
winton wrote:Thanks, so I guess I'll be getting the inexpensive model. Save myself a hundred bucks.

Are you talking $US or $AUS? I just bought a Bushnell equinox 4.5 x 40. It works OK, but I'm not blown away by it. I'm hoping with a bit more use I'll get to understand how to use it more effectively, but in hind sight I don't think I'd lay my money down again, I'd save up until I could buy something more serious. Some things on the box list would be lower magnification, and ability to control the amount of backlight on the screen. Altbough the Bushnell has a range of settings, they don't really dim the screen that much, and when you've been looking through it for a few minutes, you have basically now vision out of that eye until it adapts to the dark again. I found the 4.5 x zoom too difficult to retain situational awareness. Ohh yeah, it's a battery munching thing as well

I'm glad you posted this, I will save my money :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Apr 2018, 9:51 am

Since Winton brought it up, night vision is something I have been looking into as well and was fairly impressed by video reviews of the Nitesite Wolf.
It's a fairly bulky setup but it works day/night and is easily fitted and removed and utilizes the day scope so you don't have to change or dedicate the weapon for night only.
Anyone used one? They claim 300m on the Wolf, but I would also supplement the ir.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by winton » 20 Apr 2018, 11:16 am

marksman wrote:I'm glad you posted this, I will save my money :thumbsup: :drinks:

Yeah thanks @Bentarrow

I suppose I may as well save up for a thermal monocular. Maybe I'll give it another two years. I'll get the Yukon Photon scope first.and see how that goes. Its gonna cost me $1000 AUD. I guess its not going to be super comfortable to scan with the scope but beggars can't be choosers. :D

I think with a thermal you can choose white heat on black which shouldn't affect your night vision, but then again, having thermal is like day and night compared to night vision.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Apr 2018, 2:56 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Since Winton brought it up, night vision is something I have been looking into as well and was fairly impressed by video reviews of the Nitesite Wolf.
It's a fairly bulky setup but it works day/night and is easily fitted and removed and utilizes the day scope so you don't have to change or dedicate the weapon for night only.
Anyone used one? They claim 300m on the Wolf, but I would also supplement the ir.

I've seen the nightsights in action and what I dont like about them is the glow on your face from the screen :thumbsdown:
a mate who owns one wears a balaclava when he uses his
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Apr 2018, 3:39 pm

marksman wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Since Winton brought it up, night vision is something I have been looking into as well and was fairly impressed by video reviews of the Nitesite Wolf.

I've seen the nightsights in action and what I dont like about them is the glow on your face from the screen :thumbsdown:
a mate who owns one wears a balaclava when he uses his

As in lighting the user in an otherwise dark environment? I hadn't thought of that. Still, it would be less obvious than the scope mounted light I have been using, which will throw a spot +300m.
Any performance issues that you know of?
Like Winton, thermal albeit the best performer is priced way beyond justifiable for amateur use, for me anyway.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Scopes, sights and optics