120mm barel length for semi auto

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

120mm barel length for semi auto

Post by Zappa » 10 Jun 2024, 7:28 pm

I've haven't found any solid information on why our Authorities have imposed that minimum barrel length for Semi-Auto's. The closest Ive come to is for safety reasons.

Safety. how?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: 120mm barel length for semi auto

Post by deye243 » 10 Jun 2024, 8:27 pm

It's just bull s**t they recon were gunna conceal one and do something naughty.
Funny thing is it's ok in nsw and qld .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Jun 2024, 9:04 pm

The literally picked a number based on the majority of 9mm having 118 or 119mm barrels, to exclude them or cost owners the price of a new barrel, if one was available. The lie they based it on was 120mm, or 5", was more difficult to conceal in a pocket and the proof it was b/s was the 100mm, or 4", restriction on revolvers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 11 Jun 2024, 7:06 am

No1Mk3 wrote:The literally picked a number based on the majority of 9mm having 118 or 119mm barrels, to exclude them or cost owners the price of a new barrel, if one was available. The lie they based it on was 120mm, or 5", was more difficult to conceal in a pocket and the proof it was b/s was the 100mm, or 4", restriction on revolvers.

I think its time they reconsider this based on factual statistical information. We love our sport and we'd like to have access to the equipment our other freedom loving Countries enjoy.

I'd be happy if they bring it down to 4.5 inches. :clap:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by yoshie » 11 Jun 2024, 9:37 am

Just to make it more difficult. Alot of popular "wonder 9s" had slightly shorter barrels than 120mm. Semi auto barrels include the chamber, revolver barrels don't include the chamber so that's the reason for the difficult. They could've stipulated that barrels were to be measured from muzzle to breach but I doubt the so called experts they were listening to knew that much about guns.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by alexjones » 11 Jul 2024, 6:27 am

No rhyme or reason. Just some stupid politician who listened to a public servant who wrote the arbitrary number. The same could be said for magazine limits. Why 10 rounds?

This is the problem with arbitrary arbitrary numerical limits being set in place.
alexjones
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers