STI International

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

STI International

Post by 1Fatman » 27 Jun 2018, 10:09 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has brought a new STI, namely the DVC series.
Has the quality improved since the new owners took over?

Years ago they were made with real quality and had a great fit and finish but then they went down hill. I am thinking about getting one but just wanted to know what they are like.

Cheers,
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: STI International

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Jun 2018, 6:30 am

How long ago did they change hands?

A mate bought a new STI about 5 years back; I think it was a 1911 Trojan with a bull barrel. He said the handgun was beautiful fit & finish, but he got a lot of jams and misfires with it. His best theory was that it had such fine tolerances, that it took very little crud to jam the action. I think he tried running it wet, dry, and halfway in between, and never got it to perform reliably. Pretty sure he ended up selling it about 12 months later.
I had been interested, as I had been contemplating upgrading my Para P14 to an STI Lawman(I think), which had an integrated rail in front of the trigger guard. Given I occasionally use a weapons light and/or laser on mine when nailing the odd cat/snake/rabbit/cane toad at night, I was thinking about changing over. However, after my mates' frustrations, I ended up finding a Surefire plug-on rail, and just kept the P14.

About 15 years back, same mate had owned an alloy-frame SVI (Strayer Voight) 2011 in .40 Cal. It was probably the nicest-shooting 1911 I have ever handled or fired. A bit of research last year suggested that SVI & STI were one & the same some years back, but then split? Not really sure, but that SVI was an absolute gem of a handgun.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 28 Jun 2018, 3:43 pm

I've got a Trubor 2011 and initially it was a bit unreliable feeding. Once I got the COAL it liked I've not had any problems since and I run it very wet, if it's not slinging oil then its too dry was something I read when researching feeding issues.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1Fatman » 29 Jun 2018, 4:39 pm

From what I have read they changed management sometime last year..
There were reports that the quality went south. Talking to my LGS he said that it was only the odd one. He did say that they were fussy with what you fed them and liked quality ammo.
Or as Brett said if you reload you need to play around a little.

Cheers for the replies.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by ob1 » 02 Jul 2018, 12:01 pm

Hit and miss. Some compensators cracked from the side ports on the DVC Open, due to 'a batch of barrels missing proper heat treating' but then they changed the comp design to smaller side ports, so work that out yourself. Tool marks inside the slide, tuning required to get operational. Mass produced with variable quality.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers