Pistol Licence QLD

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol Licence QLD

Post by Toolnup » 08 Jul 2018, 2:52 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I would like clarification on a few details on having a pistol licence in QLD.

I'm ok with the initial requirements of the 3 shoots, safety course and 6 month probation to apply for the licence. Then I can have 1 air pistol plus 1 rimfire or 1 centrefire pistol in the first 12 months.

My questions are:

1. The number of shoots required is 6 if you only own 1 pistol then is it 4 per calibre or 4 per action type, rimfire, centrefire or revolver?

2. Can you own multiple pistols in the same calibre and only need to participate in the required 6 shoots?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Pistol Licence QLD

Post by No1_49er » 08 Jul 2018, 8:03 pm

1) yes, 4 of each
2) yes, 6 of

I attempted to attach a simple Excel calculator that can be used for any combination of what anybody might own. Irrespective of the file name type (extension) there is no way I can upload it for you. Maybe somebody knows a file type that will upload, then I could rename it and leave it for you to rename it correctly as an xls file?
It's only 52kb, so hardly excessive. Pictures of 500kb seem to be OK.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Terrence » 08 Jul 2018, 8:14 pm

Terrence
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 08 Jul 2018, 8:48 pm

Terrence wrote:https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/fees/forms/Documents/ParticipationShootsCalculator.xls

Beat me to it. Thanks Terrence.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 08 Jul 2018, 10:05 pm

Toolnup wrote:My questions are:

1. The number of shoots required is 6 if you only own 1 pistol then is it 4 per calibre or 4 per action type, rimfire, centrefire or revolver?

Neither, its four per class. The classes are:

A: Air
B: Centerfire no greater than .38
C: Centerfire greater than .38 but no greater than .45
D: Rimfire

2. Can you own multiple pistols in the same calibre and only need to participate in the required 6 shoots?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.

Yes, as they are all the same class.

You can own as many pistols in the same calibre as you can provide a genuine reason to possess. Generally, if you have three in the same calibre they will ask for a more detailed justification, especially if you put the same match on every PTA application..

The reason you put on your PTA application in the box that says "What is your genuine reason for this firearm and why can't it be satisfied in any other way?" is very important. Always list a match your club is approved to shoot and the division you will be shooting in. Your club should have a range approval which lists the matches the range and club is approved for. At my club its on the wall behind the counter.The reason you want to list a specific match is simple. The only genuine reason for owning a handgun is to shoot a match or practice for a match (plinking is not a genuine reason and your PTA will be rejected if you put that as your reason, same as the non descript "practice"). This way you can have a primary pistol as well as a backup pistol for every division. You will have no trouble getting permits for multiple firearms in the same calibre.

For example, I shoot IPSC and would have no trouble justifying ten 9mm pistols. A primary and a backup for each of Production, Standard, Open, Classic and Revolver divisions. As I said, the most important thing is having a justifiable genuine resason.

I work at a gun club and the amount of people who have been shooting for years and still have no clear idea of how participation requirements and PTA applications/approvals work is mind boggling.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 09 Jul 2018, 6:18 am

A thorough but somewhat long-winded explanation.
Why not just refer the questioner to the calculator that is provided by Qld Police on their web site, still current. No explanation required.
The link was posted by Terrence, above.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 09 Jul 2018, 7:02 pm

Excellent, ok.

Chinballs wrote:For example, I shoot IPSC and would have no trouble justifying ten 9mm pistols. A primary and a backup for each of Production, Standard, Open, Classic and Revolver divisions. As I said, the most important thing is having a justifiable genuine resason.

So while you may not necessarily participate in all the various matches as long as your club has the provisions to do so and you keep it to a couple of pistols per match your sweet.
Not sure if my bank account will appreciate it though!

Terrence wrote:https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/fees/forms/Documents/ParticipationShootsCalculator.xls

Very handy.

Thanks again for help everyone, cheers.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers