Brisbane Northside Club Pistol Club, Which one?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Brisbane Northside Club Pistol Club, Which one?

Post by Mulder030 » 13 Jul 2018, 8:36 am

Morning all,

Currently hold a A&B licence and struggle to get to the range as it is approx 45mins away. Been entertaining the idea of obtaining my Pistol licence and increasing my shooting time. Would love a mid week shoot :D

I have 2 ranges close by. 1 being SSAA Caboolture and 2. Murrumba Pistol Club.
Is there any active members on this forum for either of these clubs?
that could maybe provide some insight for a potential new member?

Thanks in advance.
Mulder
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Brisbane Northside Club Pistol Club, Which one?

Post by Toolnup » 13 Jul 2018, 6:56 pm

Would like to know too as I'm in the same area.

Depends on the type of matches you want to shoot I guess. I like the idea of IPSC of course but I don't think either club do it. Correct me if I'm wrong?
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cryptic » 14 Jul 2018, 9:47 am

Murrumba does ISSF, western single action, service match and WA1500 judging by their lists here.

http://www.murrumbapistolclub.org/Facilities/Matches/matches.html

Caboolture have 25m and 50m range. A list of some comps which look like similar service and ISSF type matches are here.

http://www.ssaacaboolture.com/?page_id=730
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 25 Jul 2018, 9:41 pm

Both of the those clubs have very limited comps. If you are going to shoot pistol in Brisbane you need to be thinking of one of the clubs that offers IPSC, Steel Challenge, and WA/Service Match - i.e,, action/practical shooting - which is making the most out of semi-automatic and revolver style handguns.

That's really going to limit you to Metro, COB, SSAA Brisbane. Most people who look at doing minimum attendance don't last long. The average shooter is in 2-3 disciplines across centre fire and rimfire - so factor on 20 attendances a year.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mulder030 » 02 Nov 2018, 10:10 am

So thought I would give a little update, as I have now become a Member of the 'Q51' Caboolture SSAA. landed on this club after attending both clubs and my personal decisions.
I want to make it clear these are **My Personal Opinions** of the experience.

After attending Murrumba I left feeling as though I needed to set myself a goal of reaching the Olympics to warrant joining the club. They focused on the higher end equipment and specified how much it costs to be competitive within this sport. Which I don't dispute one bit, just not what I was looking for. I know I will never be the best shooter and happy to compete against myself to improve. Being an A&B shooter and reloader I am aware of what this sport can cost.

**Please Let me stress**, All members of Murrumba were friendly and offered me to partake in a shoot. It just felt very obvious the style of shooter they wanted to appeal too.

Second and selected club was SSAA Caboolture. Again all friendly and welcoming upon enquiry with more of a focus about enjoying the sport as a whole. I personally felt less expectations to shoot at a certain level straight off the bat. So with all that said I am now a member of SSAA and attended my first logged shoot last night (1/11/18). I was happy with results of my first shoot and my mentor (stand behind) commended me on a great shoot for a what is essentially a second attempt. (introductory shoot, 1st logged shoot). used the club gun obviously which was the Ruger Mark IV and we were on the 25m range.

Anyway the pistol scene is a bag of fun and recommend anyone to get involved! :mrgreen:

Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 03 Nov 2018, 8:27 am

That's very good for a second shoot, it sounds like you have found the club for you which makes a hell of a difference because really the experience should be fun first, accuracy will come, maybe.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 09 Nov 2018, 7:33 pm

Thanks for the update Mulder.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Mulder030 » 14 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

Toolnup wrote:Thanks for the update Mulder.

where about's are you at with the pistol side of thing? did you join a club?
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 14 Dec 2018, 8:41 pm

Mulder030 wrote:
Toolnup wrote:Thanks for the update Mulder.

where about's are you at with the pistol side of thing? did you join a club?

Yes I have.

I joined Shooters Union and have been going to Rothwell to do my shoots.

Received an email from weapons licencing this week saying my application has been approved so now I am just waiting for my actual licence to turn up, 10-14 days apparently.
Almost there.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Mulder030 » 14 Dec 2018, 8:45 pm

Toolnup wrote:
Yes I have.

Received an email from weapons licencing this week saying my application has been approved so now I am just waiting for my actual licence to turn up, 10-14 days apparently.
Almost there.

Is that the one near Bunnings?
Do you hold am A&B licence aswell?

I have to do a 6 month probation with the club before I can apply for a licence. (well i thought anyway,lol)
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 15 Dec 2018, 9:47 am

Mulder030 wrote:
Toolnup wrote:
Yes I have.

Almost there.

Is that the one near Bunnings?
Do you hold am A&B licence aswell?

I have to do a 6 month probation with the club before I can apply for a licence. (well i thought anyway,lol)

Yeah that the one.

Sorry I should of been clearer. Yes I joined SU 6 months ago so I have completed my probation and mandatory shoots.

While shooting at Rothwell is good, I'm still considering joining either the Belmont SSAA Pistol Section or QMRC for a bit of variety.
SSAA seems very convenient I can go there any arvo and shoot some rifle then some pistol and there is a whole swag of disciplines to try if you like, problem is they want a fair bit of $$$ for the privilege and I find them a bit "restrictive".
QMRC looks ok as it is a fair bit cheaper and I like the look of the type of rifle shooting they do as well. The problem with both is that I work down that way so sometimes the last thing I want to do is drive down there on the weekend too.

Pine Rivers gun club was supposed to be getting an indoor range at Brendale or something but I'm not sure if it's a go or not.

Good to hear you have found a club you like though. :thumbsup:
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gun nut. » 16 Dec 2018, 6:25 pm

I have been been a member of the Ssaa belmont pistol section for about 5 yrs. I highly recommend joining, very friendly members, heaps of different shooting disciplines including some great night shoots and it's only 10 mins from my home. Lovin it!!
CZ 527 .223 varmit
Tikka T3 .308
K98 .308
Norinco JW-25A .22
Brno no.2 .22

Coonan .357 semi-auto
Ruger GP100 .357
S&W 617-1 .22
S&W 686-3 8 3/8
Colt rail gun 1911 .22
Gun nut.
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 17 Dec 2018, 6:23 pm

Metro is pretty good, I'm northside. Crossing the gateway is a pain but worth it in my opinion.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Arcwolf » 04 Jan 2019, 10:43 am

I will be joining the SSAA Brisbane to start the process of getting my Cat H already have my A&B but want to get into pistol shooting as well
The Wild Card
Arcwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers