.45 ACP reqts in QLD

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

.45 ACP reqts in QLD

Post by andreweden » 14 Jul 2018, 6:05 pm

To get a .45 in QLD you need the club endorsement. Is it only metallic silhouette comps that this can be used on?
To get the endorsement do clubs require you show up with your 9mm and give it a crack first?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: .45 ACP reqts in QLD

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2018, 7:04 pm

andreweden wrote:To get a .45 in QLD you need the club endorsement. Is it only metallic silhouette comps that this can be used on?
To get the endorsement do clubs require you show up with your 9mm and give it a crack first?

Clubs have club guns for that purpose don't they?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 14 Jul 2018, 7:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
andreweden wrote:To get a .45 in QLD you need the club endorsement. Is it only metallic silhouette comps that this can be used on?

Dunno, that is what I am trying to find out ;)
Happy to have a crack with the 9mm. My club is indoor, so no metallic silhouette comp available.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2018, 7:33 pm

andreweden wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Dunno, that is what I am trying to find out ;)
Happy to have a crack with the 9mm. My club is indoor, so no metallic silhouette comp available.

I shot head-sized gongs at 80m with 9mm years ago, easier with a .357 revolver though :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 14 Jul 2018, 7:43 pm

andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 14 Jul 2018, 8:07 pm

If you're club doesn't shoot metallic silhouette, it will be pretty hard for them to endorse over 38 caliber, unless they do Cowboy Action. Our club shoots MS and we have people from other clubs attend just to shoot their big guns.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by andreweden » 14 Jul 2018, 8:11 pm

yoshie wrote:If you're club doesn't shoot metallic silhouette, it will be pretty hard for them to endorse over 38 caliber, unless they do Cowboy Action. Our club shoots MS and we have people from other clubs attend just to shoot their big guns.

Not expecting my club to do so, happy to join a second club, just want to understand the process to get the endorsement.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by KaptainM » 14 Jul 2018, 9:21 pm

Hi Andrew,
I have a Glock 21 (45 ACP). All I did was join a club in Brisbane that shoots Metallic Silhouette and asked them for a club approval form. No questions asked why. I was mocked a little for my choice of 45 (Glock) but that's about it. My PTA took 8 working days. This was about 18 months ago.

I just have to do the additional 4 competition shoots but that's fine.

Hope that helps.
KaptainM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 14 Jul 2018, 9:24 pm

KaptainM wrote:Hi Andrew,
I have a Glock 21 (45 ACP). All I did was join a club in Brisbane that shoots Metallic Silhouette and asked them for a club approval form. No questions asked why. I was mocked a little for my choice of 45 (Glock) but that's about it. My PTA took 8 working days. This was about 18 months ago.

I just have to do the additional 4 competition shoots but that's fine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!
Which clubs shoot the competition in Brisbane?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 14 Jul 2018, 9:30 pm

You'll have to join another club either full membership or affiliated membership if they'll allow it, that shoot MS or Cowboy. Fillout a form 4B (change of details) i think you'll need to include a letter to the police commissioner asking for an exemption on your licence to shoot over 38. Once thats granted you get your new club to fillout the club approval form for your new gun and go shopping.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... sports.htm
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chinballs » 15 Jul 2018, 2:10 pm

You can get endorsed for either Metallic Silhouette (condition code PCM), Single Action (condition code PCS) or both. You can only shoot what your license is endorsed for. You also won't get a high calibre PTA for anything other than a single action revolver if you only have the PCS condition code.

It doesn't matter what your club is approved for they can still give you a letter to go with your Form 4B Change of Conditions and get your endorsement. My club doesn't shoot metallic silhouette but will gladly give you the letter you need. We have probably twenty odd members endorsed for metallic silhouette and they have never had a problem getting approved by WLB. It is up to the license holder to find a range and meet the participation requirements.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Jul 2018, 7:02 pm

Chinballs wrote:

You can get endorsed for either Metallic Silhouette (condition code PCM), Single Action (condition code PCS) or both. You can only shoot what your license is endorsed for. You also won't get a high calibre PTA for anything other than a single action revolver if you only have the PCS condition code.

It doesn't matter what your club is approved for they can still give you a letter to go with your Form 4B Change of Conditions and get your endorsement. My club doesn't shoot metallic silhouette but will gladly give you the letter you need. We have probably twenty odd members endorsed for metallic silhouette and they have never had a problem getting approved by WLB. It is up to the license holder to find a range and meet the participation requirements.

Thanks. Awesome info.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by KaptainM » 15 Jul 2018, 7:04 pm

Hi Andrew,

SSAA Belmont.

Regards,
KaptainM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Jul 2018, 7:09 pm

KaptainM wrote:Hi Andrew,

SSAA Belmont.

Regards,

Thanks. I see some Belmont trips in my future.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sus_scrofa » 15 Jul 2018, 7:45 pm

Try QMRC at Belmont metallic silhouette Wednesday night, I pay $50 a year membership Cat A,B & H. Some people shoot 45/70 & 460 S&W in revolvers.

http://www.qmrc.org/wednesday-night-pistol/
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Jul 2018, 11:19 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:Try QMRC at Belmont metallic silhouette Wednesday night, I pay $50 a year membership Cat A,B & H. Some people shoot 45/70 & 460 S&W in revolvers.

Thanks. Cheap membership!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 20 Jul 2018, 7:48 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:Try QMRC at Belmont metallic silhouette Wednesday night, I pay $50 a year membership Cat A,B & H. Some people shoot 45/70 & 460 S&W in revolvers.

Do they allow you to have a practice shoot anytime, pistol or rifle or is the range only open certain times?

Thanks.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Jul 2018, 8:27 pm

Belmont. Check the web site, will tell you range open hours. I was there last Sunday and shooters where shooting at Met. targets and looked like practice to me. But a quick phone call will confirm.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Dash90 » 03 Jan 2019, 7:21 am

Hi all, I realise no ones been here for 6 months however I’m interested how the glock 21 45acp faired in metallic silhouette

Any feed back from those who’ve used 45acp would be great.

Cheers :thumbsup:
Dash90
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 04 Jan 2019, 7:53 pm

If it is anything like using my H&K USP Expert in 45ACP to do metallic silhouette - ******!!!!!
Fortunately in Vic, we don't have that restriction anymore.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chinballs » 05 Jan 2019, 3:30 pm

Dash90 wrote:Hi all, I realise no ones been here for 6 months however I’m interested how the glock 21 45acp faired in metallic silhouette

It will perform like hot garbage.

I have a 1911 in .45ACP but the reality is that it is not a good cartridge choice if you want to hit anything at distance let alone be even remotely competitive in Metallic Silhouette. I used to shoot the match poorly simply to keep a firearm in a cartridge I enjoy shooting. At the end of the day though, it is a hassle for very little benefit.

My club is not endorsed for metallic silhouette so have to travel to Brisbane (I live on the Gold Coast) to shoot my .45ACP. My club is endorsed for Varmint match though which can be shot with a high calibre, single action revolver. I ended up buying a dirt cheap, piece of crap Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum just to do the four high calibre shoots at my own club to save travelling and meet the requirements to keep my high calibre endorsement (I have PCM and PCS on my license) and my 1911 in .45ACP.

I love my .45ACP but rarely ever shoot it nowdays.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dash90 » 06 Jan 2019, 10:34 am

Chinballs wrote:
Dash90 wrote:Hi all, I realise no ones been here for 6 months however I’m interested how the glock 21 45acp faired in metallic silhouette

It will perform like hot garbage.

I have a 1911 in .45ACP but the reality is that it is not a good cartridge choice if you want to hit anything at distance let alone be even remotely competitive in Metallic Silhouette. I used to shoot the match poorly simply to keep a firearm in a cartridge I enjoy shooting. At the end of the day though, it is a hassle for very little benefit.

My club is not endorsed for metallic silhouette so have to travel to Brisbane (I live on the Gold Coast) to shoot my .45ACP. My club is endorsed for Varmint match though which can be shot with a high calibre, single action revolver. I ended up buying a dirt cheap, piece of crap Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum just to do the four high calibre shoots at my own club to save travelling and meet the requirements to keep my high calibre endorsement (I have PCM and PCS on my license) and my 1911 in .45ACP.

I love my .45ACP but rarely ever shoot it nowdays.

Thanks for the replies and it came as no surprise to me that it’s less than ideal for shooting at such ranges.
It’s a shame as I have a soft spot for big/heavy slow moving cartridges as my favourite rifle I own is a 45-70.

At least now I know that if I can’t fight the itch for a 45 I’m probably up for 2 guns which may not be such a bad thing as I did have a hold of a 460 s&w at shooter delight last week :lol:
Dash90
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ramslamer » 14 Jan 2019, 8:27 pm

Not sure what Dash90 is talking about with a "Varmint" match The Qld Weapons Act is very specific - Metallic Silhouette or Western Action ONLY for any calibre above .38 He is right about the .45 ACP and Silhouette - more or less hopeless for the 200m match but can be used in the 100 m Field Pistol if you know how to shoot and the gun has adjustable sights. Field Pistol at SSAA Belmont on the first Saturday (8.30 am) of the month. come and watch as there is usually a few 45 owners having a go. Forget the 460 for Met Sil - the gun is over weight for revolver class and you would have t remove the muzzle break to shoot it in the Unlimited class- no ported barrels less than 12 inches long -see the IHMSA rule book - SSAA have adopted the IHMSA rule book for Met Sil
Ramslamer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dash90 » 16 Jan 2019, 9:30 pm

I think you may have me mixed up with chinballs on the varmint match thing. And the 460 seemed somewhat unnecessary but what a cool gun. Realistically I’d buy a 44 or 45LC if I were to buy a revolver.
I am keen however to see 100m field pistol in action, because despite knowing better I can’t control the draw to the .45acp
Dash90
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 19 Jan 2019, 6:28 am

Ramslamer wrote:Not sure what Dash90 is talking about with a "Varmint" match The Qld Weapons Act is very specific - Metallic Silhouette or Western Action ONLY for any calibre above .38

I assume you mean me and I can tell you that I know exactly what I am talking about and that you are wrong.

As per Weapons Licensing website:

The accredited events in Section 161 Weapons Regulation 2016 are:

a metallic silhouette competition; and
a single-action competition.

Its very unspecific about Western Action being the only single action match approved for high calibre ffirearms.

Varmint Match is a single action competition and can be shot with high calibre firearms. If you don't believe me feel free to contact Weapons Licensing and ask them yourself. I have a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk and on the PTA I listed Varmint Match as the answer to the question, "What is your genuine reason for this firearm and why can't it be satisfied in any other way?" Varmint Match was also listed on the club support letter. PTA approved no questions asked.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers