Pistol Choices - Slim Pickings

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol Choices - Slim Pickings

Post by Rider888 » 22 Aug 2018, 1:16 pm

I have accepted the fact that the APX will be what I buy next when my PTA comes through in the next 2 or so weeks unless anyone can recommend something else. Have also considered the 'TV' gun (92FS Inox) but believe that are hard to come by at a good price. Would also consider the M&P 2.0 or CZ P10C but need to look more into it as I know very little on these 2 including prices and ease of use.

Not after the best shooting gun. Not after something that is superior of comp shooting. Just want something that is looks good, reliable, will do the job and doesn't cost an arm and leg like the Shadow 2.

Having said that, I would buy a Shadow 2 if the price is right. Someone I know said he picked his up new for about $1400 which is quiet good. He has the one with the Blue Grips.

PBA have informed me that the Shadow 2's are out of stock till first half 2019 which is unfortunate.

Would like to get the APX full FDE but Beretta have said that they may not bring the FDE APX into Australia which is unfortunate for them.

Alternatively if someone can tell me if there is a way to renew my PTA for another 3 month period, that would see me through till Q1, 2019.

Thanks
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Pistol Choices - Slim Pickings

Post by Chinballs » 22 Aug 2018, 4:07 pm

Beretta 92FS can be had for $1300.
Contact Grycol (S&W importer) to find out about availability of M&P 2.0 http://www.grycol.com.au/contact
CZ P-10C won't ever come here, even the threaded barrel version is too short.

If the Beretta isn't floating your boat I would just let the PTA expire and get another one when you find somethin you actually like. Its a lot cheaper than dropping hundreds on a gun you don't really like.

I would just buy a Glock. Its cheap, available, plenty of aftermarket stuff and will outshoot the majority of users as well.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 23 Aug 2018, 6:28 am

Shame about the P10C. I already have a Glock. Will investigate the M&P2.0 this week but have a feeling it’ll be the APX
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 23 Aug 2018, 11:27 am

Have you got a revolver?

Why not try a 357 magnum. A lot of fun shooting. So many models to choose from.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Aug 2018, 11:43 am

bullzeye wrote:Have you got a revolver?

Why not try a 357 magnum. A lot of fun shooting. So many models to choose from.

Will look at it but never considered a revolver at all
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Aug 2018, 1:04 pm

Slim pickings? Are you serious?

Beretta 92FS , there is a dozen on used guns right now. Brand new can be had for 1k

CZ
75B - brand new going for a under 1k
SP-01 are on used guns
Shadow 2 are on used gun

Grandpower pistols
Sig and all their models.
1911's go from 800-3k
Glock
Coonan
S&W m&p
Heckler & Koch
Ruger

The choice is almost limitless
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Aug 2018, 2:10 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Slim pickings? Are you serious?

Beretta 92FS , there is a dozen on used guns right now. Brand new can be had for 1k

CZ
75B - brand new going for a under 1k
SP-01 are on used guns
Shadow 2 are on used gun

Grandpower pistols
Sig and all their models.
1911's go from 800-3k
Glock
Coonan
S&W m&p
Heckler & Koch
Ruger

The choice is almost limitless

I’m being narrow minded and keeping to Beretta but must be Inox or the M&P2.0
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 23 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm

I have to agree with Wylie, if anything you're spoilt by choice.
My only advice would be stay away from the M&P 2.0, I've got one in pro series c.o.r.e. in my collection and they have the worst trigger i've ever had the displeasure of using, the reset is rubbish too, and the mags are a pita to get the 10th round into. it's my least favorite pistol.
if you want a plastic 9mm and you already have a glock maybe have a look at
Canik sfx pretty good, nice trigger About $1100
cz p09 had one and they're not bad, very low bore axis $8-900
sig 320 pretty good nice trigger about $900

Or be patient and put a deposit on a shadow 2 and wait for them to come in. Not plastic but they shoot better than guns twice their price. Mine is my favorite 9mm hands down.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 23 Aug 2018, 4:38 pm

JSS wrote:I have to agree with Wylie, if anything you're spoilt by choice.
My only advice would be stay away from the M&P 2.0, I've got one in pro series c.o.r.e. in my collection and they have the worst trigger i've ever had the displeasure of using, the reset is rubbish too, and the mags are a pita to get the 10th round into. it's my least favorite pistol.
if you want a plastic 9mm and you already have a glock maybe have a look at
Canik sfx pretty good, nice trigger About $1100
cz p09 had one and they're not bad, very low bore axis $8-900
sig 320 pretty good nice trigger about $900

Or be patient and put a deposit on a shadow 2 and wait for them to come in. Not plastic but they shoot better than guns twice their price. Mine is my favorite 9mm hands down.

Good info on the 2.0 thanks.
Not keen on the Sig P320's especially after the issues the US military have been experiencing and also the numerous articles I have read about the pistol firing when dropped. Thats a concern.
Do like the CZ P10C but as someone mentioned, its not coming to Aus. Shame about that.
I like the deposit on the Shadow 2 method as it lets me use my PTA but if it doesn't arrive in stock till 2019, it'll be painful for me to travel back to NSW to collect it. But will go see the guys at Safari when my PTA arrives and if they have a Shadow 2 in stock then that will be my firearm of choice.

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 23 Aug 2018, 7:21 pm

You're welcome re the 2.0. Check out the p09 when you're in the gunshop next (if they have one), they're basically just a full sized p10 and the low bore axis helps with the muzzle flip on lighter framed guns.
If you do the deposit on the shadow then move away Safari can transfer it to another dealer for you for collection once it arrives for under $50, it's a piece of cake.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grumpy » 24 Aug 2018, 12:56 am

Barry & Sons (WA) have 15 Shadow 2s in stock. Unfortunately shipping anything firearm related in or from WA is a PITA. Doesn’t hurt to inquire though.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 24 Aug 2018, 1:46 am

most the guns that have been talked about will all shoot well if you like the bereta 92 and want new i dont realy no the market on guns there but the taurus pt 92 can be purchased here for about a 1/3 of the price its the south american duty gun.
the finish is not the same you wont have the nice blue but it will shoot i have had one for 20 years.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rider888 » 29 Aug 2018, 10:28 am

Have just discovered the H&K VP9 and PPQ M2. Both seem to be reviewed very well.

Any thoughts/comments?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chinballs » 29 Aug 2018, 3:47 pm

Rider888 wrote:Have just discovered the H&K VP9 and PPQ M2. Both seem to be reviewed very well.

Any thoughts/comments?

I haven't handled the VP9 but have shot the PPQ. I used to own one of the first generation PPQs with the ambi paddle release on the trigger guard. Although different I found it pretty good once you got used to it. The only real difference with the M2 is it has a standard button release. I only sold my PPQ as I bought it very cheap and flipped it for a profit. I had no real need for it but if I was starting out and wanted a polymer pistol it would be above Glock on my list of potential purchases. Not there's anything wrong with a Glock before anyone gets upset :D

The PPQ is a very nice striker fired pistol with an excellent trigger. The PPQ and VP9 are often compared and the end result seems to come down to personal preference as they are both excellent pistols.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 29 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm

Chinballs wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Have just discovered the H&K VP9 and PPQ M2. Both seem to be reviewed very well.

Any thoughts/comments?

I haven't handled the VP9 but have shot the PPQ. I used to own one of the first generation PPQs with the ambi paddle release on the trigger guard. Although different I found it pretty good once you got used to it. The only real difference with the M2 is it has a standard button release. I only sold my PPQ as I bought it very cheap and flipped it for a profit. I had no real need for it but if I was starting out and wanted a polymer pistol it would be above Glock on my list of potential purchases. Not there's anything wrong with a Glock before anyone gets upset :D

The PPQ is a very nice striker fired pistol with an excellent trigger. The PPQ and VP9 are often compared and the end result seems to come down to personal preference as they are both excellent pistols.

Thanks for your comments. I already own a Glock and was toying with the idea of a 2nd pistol since I already submitted my PTA. I think it'll come down to the APX, VP9 or PPQ. The reason I am leaning more towards the APX is cost and with that extra $500 or so from the APX to the VP9 or PPQ, I can certainly put that extra $$$ into Ammo.
Im not into winning shooting competitions. For me its just about having a bit for fun at the range and taking part in local events with whatever firearms I have.
Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 29 Aug 2018, 6:01 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Rider888, have a look at the Steyr-Mannlicher L9-A1 or the Walther PPQ-Q5
I have both (in 9mm) and both are very good pistols but I prefer and shoot the S-M L9-A1 best.
It is far more ergonomic in my hand, than any Glock I have ever handled/shot
DSCN2354.JPG
DSCN2354.JPG (579.56 KiB) Viewed 6823 times

The S-M is very underrated in this country.
It sits very low in the hand, and helps with speeding up repeat shots/Double Taps.
DSCN2559.JPG
DSCN2559.JPG (914.91 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

DSCN2565.JPG
DSCN2565.JPG (1001.11 KiB) Viewed 6824 times

You then have the H&K, Sprigfield Armory X-D/HS 2000, Browning Hi-Power, and a few others.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by MrMickyD » 01 Sep 2018, 12:49 pm

Have a look at the HS 2000 or Springfield XD tactical , same gun.
I have one in .357 Sig there is nothing about it i dont like, my preference to the Glock but thats just my opinion and its available in 9mm, .357 Sig and 45 acp.
Another option is the Taurus PT99 AFS in 9mm its a very good copy of the Beretta 92 except Taurus put the safety where it should be on the frame instead of the slide like the Beretta, ive had one of these for many years and love it plus much cheaper than the Beretta.
Just my thoughts thou.
MrMickyD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 01 Sep 2018, 7:02 pm

Best bet is try find people with what you want or take a look in store.
I had my eyes on a vp9 until I tried one at the range, I didnt like the trigger at all. The owner upgraded springs and few other bits and I tried again but still did not like it. He has since sold his as he did not like it either lol.
Tried a walther ppq q5 match a few weeks ago and actually liked it even though it is similar to vp9
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 03 Sep 2018, 7:16 pm

Have you looked on usedguns.com.au? Last time I looked there was a range of Beretta and Shadow 2s for sale. Some get very little use and you can save $$$$ buying someone else's safe queen.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Rider888 » 04 Sep 2018, 7:31 am

ob1 wrote:Have you looked on usedguns.com.au? Last time I looked there was a range of Beretta and Shadow 2s for sale. Some get very little use and you can save $$$$ buying someone else's safe queen.

Yes I have and there were no beretta's for me. It has to be the Inox version as this will be a what I call 'For Looking at" gun and not for shooting. Also I noticed that some of the Shadow 2's are about the same price as new. E.g. I think I can get a new shadow 2 with 3 or 4 Mags for $1500

Anyway I have 90 days to use my PTA so hopefully, something will pop up between now and Xmas
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ob1 » 04 Sep 2018, 11:21 am

The M9-92FS Inox 9mm stainless cased with 2 mags is $985.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Rider888 » 04 Sep 2018, 3:29 pm

Thanks for that. Unsure of the process of purchasing interstate. Might be a bit for me to organise and dont want to go through the hassles if at all possible.

Will chat to HP and see what they can do for price as I know they have the 92FS Inox for an excessive $1340.

Failing which I will buy the APX and put the remaining $430 towards ammo

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 04 Sep 2018, 4:11 pm

To Purchase interstate.

* buy from gun shop
* pay for shipping to your nominated dealer
* pay nominated dealer transfer fee
* pick up gun

:)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 04 Sep 2018, 5:55 pm

This thread makes me want to get my pistol licence
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 05 Sep 2018, 10:22 am

Wylie27 wrote:To Purchase interstate.

* buy from gun shop
* pay for shipping to your nominated dealer
* pay nominated dealer transfer fee
* pick up gun

:)

Thanks J. Makes sense to buy locally then then get them to price beat
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 05 Sep 2018, 12:44 pm

Its not about buying locally :)

* buy from interstate gun shop
* get then to ship it it to your local dealer :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by spartan71 » 05 Sep 2018, 3:40 pm

Don't be put off by the initial production issues with P320. The guns that had the issues in the US have been recalled/fixed and that design never made it to Australia. Many other brand pistols, including Glock have had similar issues on new production models. I had to send one of my Ruger Mark IV for warranty work. For the money the P320 are an excellent gun.

The P320X5 is an excellent match grade gun. Great trigger, great sights and well worth the look - although at $1800 with four magazines could be a little expensive for some.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 06 Sep 2018, 7:34 am

Wylie27 wrote:Its not about buying locally :)

* buy from interstate gun shop
* get then to ship it it to your local dealer :)

Good suggestion. Ill pop in one day soon
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers