Handgun storage in rifle safe

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Handgun storage in rifle safe

Post by zhuk » 19 Nov 2018, 5:29 pm

Zappa wrote:
zhuk wrote:Nothing to stop you putting a handgun safe on top of a rifle safe...in fact I've got two on top of one of my rifles safes :mrgreen:

Are you saying that you can bolt a pistol safe on top of a bolted-down rifle safe and be legally compliant ? :?:

Nope I haven't bolted the pistol safe into the rifles safes (they come with 4 10mm holes drilled in the back)

Just position them on top and affix with the 4 backplate anchor points...immovable once the rifle safe is in. There is nothing in NSW regulations that stipulates anything other than 4 points in wall and or base for any safe, Cat A/B or H. I also keep a printout of the safe storage regs pdf in my ammo cabinet, for reference..

Note: I have always positioned my safes into a corner so any attempted jimmying would only be more difficult.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grumpy » 19 Nov 2018, 8:03 pm

My CZ & Browning Buckmark using the optional shelves. They rate this as a 6-8 gun safe, so I’m not sure a 4 gun safe would be wide enough.
D63FBFDA-D460-4208-9BE8-B6AEF16F5BFA.jpeg
D63FBFDA-D460-4208-9BE8-B6AEF16F5BFA.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5174 times

http://lokawaysafe.com/products/gun-saf ... -safe.html
Ps: the ammo boxes are empty & just for reference.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Zappa » 19 Nov 2018, 8:18 pm

zhuk wrote: I also keep a printout of the safe storage regs pdf in my ammo cabinet, for reference..

And here I am thinking i was a bit over exuberant doing this as well. It's called CYA in case the inspection officer raises questions.

Grumpy wrote:My CZ & Browning Buckmark using the optional shelves. They rate this as a 6-8 gun safe, so I’m not sure a 4 gun safe would be wide enough.

hmm.. looking at the spec on the LOK2K is has the body at 14 gauge and door at 12 gauge. Isnt that 1.6mm and 2mm respectively ? :wtf:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Grumpy » 19 Nov 2018, 8:54 pm

Zappa wrote:
zhuk wrote: I also keep a printout of the safe storage regs pdf in my ammo cabinet, for reference..

And here I am thinking i was a bit over exuberant doing this as well. It's called CYA in case the inspection officer raises questions.

Grumpy wrote:My CZ & Browning Buckmark using the optional shelves. They rate this as a 6-8 gun safe, so I’m not sure a 4 gun safe would be wide enough.

hmm.. looking at the spec on the LOK2K is has the body at 14 gauge and door at 12 gauge. Isnt that 1.6mm and 2mm respectively ? :wtf:

Compliant with W.A. regs.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by zhuk » 27 Nov 2018, 5:21 am

Zappa wrote:And here I am thinking i was a bit over exuberant doing this as well. It's called CYA in case the inspection officer raises questions.

"Over exuberant" lol I like that :)

I've only had one inspection, but it turned out the officer thought that ammo had to be in gunsafe like storage (hey, we're not WA! yet lol)

So I like to think of it as being uh, prepared rather than paranoid :mrgreen:
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers