9mm Long Term Storage

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

9mm Long Term Storage

Post by Rider888 » 11 Oct 2018, 7:16 am

Just wondering if it is ok to cock a 9mm open with cable lock attached for long term storage, perhaps 6 to 12 months or will that cause unnecessary tension on the springs and working parts?

And also, should I leave a light film of oil on it or keep it bone dry in the safe?

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 9mm Long Term Storage

Post by drizo » 11 Oct 2018, 8:18 am

Wont be a problem but if you're really concerned then remove the slide and cable lock the frame etc. For long term storage a nice coating of oil everywhere is good, just dry it up before shooting next. If your safe is in a humid area then its worth considering a dehumidifier rod etc
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JSS » 11 Oct 2018, 8:23 am

Rider888 wrote:Just wondering if it is ok to cock a 9mm open with cable lock attached for long term storage, perhaps 6 to 12 months or will that cause unnecessary tension on the springs and working parts?

And also, should I leave a light film of oil on it or keep it bone dry in the safe?

Cheers

Personally i wouldn't do it but that's just me, in my opinion it would be similar to leaving a mag fully loaded for long term storage, just something you don't normally do.
That being said if you need to do it i wouldn't stress about it too much, even if it does weaken the spring they're cheap and take 2 seconds to replace.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 11 Oct 2018, 8:31 am

Not sure; I wouldnt like to leave my .45 1911 in that state for a long time.
Would a trigger lock be sufficient to meet the requirement?
That way, you'd not be keeping the slide spring compressed the whole time.

One of those de-humidifier dessicant packs is always a good thing to have in a safe, but I'd still be keeping it stored oiled, if it was me.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 11 Oct 2018, 8:44 am

Rod_outbak wrote:Not sure; I wouldnt like to leave my .45 1911 in that state for a long time.
Would a trigger lock be sufficient to meet the requirement?
That way, you'd not be keeping the slide spring compressed the whole time.

One of those de-humidifier dessicant packs is always a good thing to have in a safe, but I'd still be keeping it stored oiled, if it was me.

Thanks. I don't actually need the cable lock to meet storage requirements but as I was going to be away, I thought a psychological deterrent would be good. I can leave the 9mm in the safe and thats met requirements
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Oct 2018, 9:14 am

Springs never weaken from being under stress. That is simple Engineering Metallurgy 101. As for preserving, a heavy barrier oil, or better, grease, would preclude any corrosion under any condition likely to occur in your safe. Axle/wheel bearing grease, diff/gearbox oil etc would be fine. Dessicant bags are a good idea in your safe at any time, Cheers..
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Oct 2018, 10:18 am

I've also wondered about keeping springs in tension for long periods, I've been told not to leave a magazine loaded for long periods to protect the spring, but logic would suggest that if this was the case then car suspension springs would weaken over time from the weight of the vehicle sitting on them.
After reading Rider's question I did a little googling, and I'm still none the wiser.

I did find some interesting responses to the question below:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... -long-time
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 11 Oct 2018, 12:20 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I've also wondered about keeping springs in tension for long periods, I've been told not to leave a magazine loaded for long periods to protect the spring, but logic would suggest that if this was the case then car suspension springs would weaken over time from the weight of the vehicle sitting on them.
After reading Rider's question I did a little googling, and I'm still none the wiser.

Car springs do weaken over time and need replacing
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2018, 12:25 pm

Rider888 wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:I've also wondered about keeping springs in tension for long periods, I've been told not to leave a magazine loaded for long periods to protect the spring, but logic would suggest that if this was the case then car suspension springs would weaken over time from the weight of the vehicle sitting on them.

Car springs do weaken over time and need replacing

They do, but more because they are in almost continuous movement rather than simply because they are loaded.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Oct 2018, 5:39 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Springs never weaken from being under stress. That is simple Engineering Metallurgy 101. As for preserving, a heavy barrier oil, or better, grease, would preclude any corrosion under any condition likely to occur in your safe. Axle/wheel bearing grease, diff/gearbox oil etc would be fine. Dessicant bags are a good idea in your safe at any time, Cheers..

+1 but I would just use oil, lanox or equivalent.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 11 Oct 2018, 10:09 pm

Small coat of G96 throw it into a cryovac bag seal it up and when you open it up it will be as fresh as the day you sealed it. No pun intended.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 14 Dec 2018, 12:15 am

I didn't shoot any of my guns for 2 1/2 years due to health reasons and none of them were any the worse for it just Ballistol'd them and let them be. A trigger lock would be far better than leaving the slide locked open, and re springs I kept some mags loaded with snap caps for 8 months in an effort to weaken the too tight springs. Didn't do a bloody thing lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 14 Dec 2018, 11:27 am

Funny question its in a safe but you wish to fit a padlock to it to make it safer in the belief of what .
Someone gets into the safe then see,s you padlock and gives up goes home
sorry i just don,t get it, fit a trigger lock on the pistol so when you take it to the range you know its got a lock on it
I hope you oil anytime not just when not using .
Last edited by pomemax on 14 Dec 2018, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 14 Dec 2018, 3:11 pm

Rider888 wrote:Just wondering if it is ok to cock a 9mm open with cable lock attached for long term storage, perhaps 6 to 12 months or will that cause unnecessary tension on the springs and working parts?

Cheers

what purpose would it serve? check for clear put away in your safe, next time you pick it up check again... not much can go wrong, unless theres something im missing.
you could put a trigger lock on it? if its some sort of safe storage req.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 25 Dec 2018, 9:45 pm

Yep, checking the action is clear should be automatic whenever taking out/putting it back into the safe. I'd use a trigger lock even if it's not specifically in the regs, also during inspections I'd rather the police see I take that extra level of security.

Your guns should be kept oiled at all times, including the barrel for storage. Just run a dry patch or two through it before shooting.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers