New Ruger Mk IV Standard Long Barrel

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

New Ruger Mk IV Standard Long Barrel

Post by Boo » 09 Nov 2018, 2:28 pm

A standard Standard is just not good enough, have to spend money on it, it's compulsory :lol: Anyway it's had a Volquartsen Accurasing Kit fitted which has resulted in a beaut smooth, light trigger which is adjustable both ways. The grip is way too small for big Aussie hands, this is complicated by me being a molly dooker and experimentation for the most suitable shape is required too, fortunately Hogue do a slip on L handed grip for the earlier Marks, a bit of cutting and buffing on the grinder and it fits quite well. But still not enough handle, what to do. How about that spare universal slip on grip? Shortened it up a bit and it makes a big improvement, fills out down the bottom of the grip a bit, see it in the pics. Unfortunately sighting a pistol is way more difficult than the same for a rifle, it's been spoiling my range days so a red dot reflex sight mounted on a Ruger accessory rail is being tried. Note the "name brand" :P It's going to take some getting used to particularly when speed is required, hope to give it all it's first run tomorrow. More to come on that.

ruger_013.JPG
ruger_013.JPG (305.91 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

ruger_017.JPG
ruger_017.JPG (235.69 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

ruger_016.JPG
ruger_016.JPG (198.54 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: New Ruger Mk IV Standard Long Barrel

Post by Boo » 10 Nov 2018, 8:08 pm

Didn't try the red dot sight on the pistol at the range, it was a formal shoot so no time for messing around. But trying to pick up the dot through the sight there on a bright early afternoon was problematical, particularly at a pistol sighting distance. I don't know if that's par for the course with a pistol but bringing it back to a much closer long arm sighting distance made a big difference, stands to reason I suppose. For my application a red dot does not seem suitable, glad I did not lay down several hundred for a real Name Brand job.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 17 Nov 2018, 8:32 am

Did a bench rest accuracy test which indicates that the gun is accurate so I'm going to persevere with the standard iron sights. Ran across a US post on what a mess a brand new Ruger same model as mine was, going by a factory gunsmith report on it after he returned it. Oh to be able to do that. Mine has a problem with the safety creeping ON when firing, there is no detent holding it OFF only friction.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 19 Nov 2018, 7:35 am

The safety detent spring and ball are tiny, mine must have popped out some time. Anyone disassembling a Mk IV take note.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Macross » 20 Nov 2018, 1:08 pm

Ive been looking at Mark IV for my first .22LR pistol for a while, and there seems to have been a bit of a bumpy ride since they were introduced.

There was a recall because of an issue with the safety which was a pretty big deal. I wonder if the detent spring and ball missing may reintroduce that issue Boo? From my understanding, the safety being able to float to somewhere between off and on, and attempting to fire a round whilst in that state, caused what seemed like a miss fire. Moving the safety to the fire position after that happens was able to drop the hammer and actually fire a round without any interaction with the trigger.

https://youtu.be/14pdfmkK3Kw

I would be making sure to check that out before taking the weapon to the range again. The detent from what I have read was the 'fix' for the safety issues.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boo » 21 Nov 2018, 7:45 am

Thanks for that info Macross it's my experience too. Did have one accidental discharge but the 'always point the gun down range' rule avoided anything but surprise. By a bit of luck what looks like the detent plunger and spring has been found but I aint looking forward to putting it in,you have to do several things at once at that stage of the assembly.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers