CZ 9mm + .22 Conversion Kit

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

CZ 9mm + .22 Conversion Kit

Post by Macross » 21 Jan 2019, 9:12 pm

Brisbane gun shop has a CZ Shadow 2 on their website that comes bundled with a Kadet .22 Conversion kit. As mentioned in another thread, I have been shooting a Shadow 2 club gun during my probation, and absolutely love it! Having a .22 kit seems like a great idea and lots of online reviews speak well of the Kadet kit.

But after some long conversations tonight with the minister of war and finance, putting forward the case of the cost benefits of having said kit with such awesome flexability….., I came to the realisation that I may not be able to get this bundle. Is the Shadow 2 plus the .22 kit essentially two different guns????. Qld regs state that new license holders can only obtain one air pistol and one of either rimfire or centre fire pistol during the first 12 months of holding a license.

Am I getting this right that the CZ kit would be counted as TWO different pistols requiring TWO PTA's? There by being unobtainium for new pistol shooters??
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: CZ 9mm + .22 Conversion Kit

Post by Chinballs » 21 Jan 2019, 9:19 pm

In QLD you don't need a PTA for a conversion kit. The dealer just Form 10s it to your license. This came up before with a member of our club and from memory Weapons said it wasn't kosher. It was a while ago though so I am not 100% sure if my memory is correct. I'm definitely sure its just a Form 10 though.

I'd give Weapons a ring and check. Just remember they don't answer the phone on Wednesdays.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Jan 2019, 10:11 pm

I bought a .22 conversion for my 1911 about 12 years back, and the .22 conversion is listed as a major part, but NOT as a separate firearm.
[Thats on a QLD licence]

If I was shooting on a club licence with a centrefire, I'd think a .22 conversion would be a wise investment.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 27 Jan 2019, 11:15 am

I was at the range yesterday and speaking to a couple of guys that had just joined up. One had recently go his Cat H license and purchased a CZ. He said he was interested in adding the Kadet .22 conversion kit as well, but gun shop guys said it was a no go for him because Qld regs stipulate only one of either rimfire or centre fire pistol in the first 12 months. So im not quite sure now as to what the go is. Seems like it may only be an issue for new license holders perhaps who are still in that initial 12 month period????
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 27 Jan 2019, 11:47 am

Ring Weapons Licensing and clarify the purchase of a major part for your new Cat H handgun.
Explain to WL that you have only just obtained the club licence/endorsement, and wondered if you are able to purchase the calibre conversion for it..
Gun shop people dont always have(or feel obliged to tell) the right story.

A conversion kit is a major part; not an additional firearm.
It's the frame on a handgun that is considered to constitute the firearm.

My 2 cents.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ramslamer » 02 Feb 2019, 7:07 am

The Qld Weapons Act classes a spare barrel as a conversion unit(Paragraph 4 below) and a conversion unit is classed as a separate firearm (see paragraph 2 below) See below from the Weapons Web Page

Category H weapons

(1) A firearm, including an air pistol and a blank-fire firearm, under 75 cm in length, other than a powerhead, is a category H weapon, regardless of whether it has been rendered permanently inoperable;

(2) A conversion unit is also a category H weapon;

(3) This section does not apply to a powerhead or category C, D or R weapon;

(4) In this section-- "conversion unit" means a unit or device or barrel that is capable of being used for converting a category H weapon that is a firearm from one calibre to another calibre.

For schedule 2 of the Act, each of the following comprises a class of category H weapon—

(a) an air pistol;
(b) a centre-fire pistol with a calibre of not more than .38 inch or a black-powder pistol;
(c) a centre-fire pistol with a calibre of more than .38 inch but not more than .45 inch;
(d) a rim-fire pistol.
Ramslamer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 15 Feb 2019, 4:17 pm

Exactly the same situation I would have enquired about in one month when I get my cat H in the ACT.

I was going to buy a Shadow 2 9mm for IPSC and Service. And also a Ruger 22/45 22LR for cheap target shooting at 25yrs at the same time.

Then I thought why not get the 22LR Kadet for the Shadow ???? But having read this, I could probably do neither.
I should ask whether I'm allowed to get two handguns within the space of 60 days. :unknown:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 15 Feb 2019, 6:15 pm

[quote="Macross"] Qld regs state that new license holders can only obtain one air pistol and one of either rimfire or centre fire pistol during the first 12 months of holding a license.
/quote]

Is this written somewhere? Cant seem to find this regulation for QLD ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 15 Feb 2019, 6:50 pm

Zappa wrote:
Macross wrote: Qld regs state that new license holders can only obtain one air pistol and one of either rimfire or centre fire pistol during the first 12 months of holding a license.
/quote]

Is this written somewhere? Cant seem to find this regulation for QLD ?

Just type weapons licencing qld cat h licence and there it is.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/acquiringWeapons/catH/default.htm
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 22 Feb 2019, 3:05 pm

I was speaking to a guy last night at a Qld pistol club, he's in his first 12 months of license ownership and did exactly this. Bought a 9mm with a .22 conversion kit with only a form 10 for the conversion kit. So it may be a case of which licensing officer looks over your application?
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JSS » 22 Feb 2019, 4:15 pm

I hope he gets away with it and his 12 months ends before the paperwork catches up & they link the form 10 with his licence. Personally i think the risk far outweighs the reward, but like i said i hope he slips through the crack and it all works out.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 24 Feb 2019, 1:21 pm

Went for our weekly range visit yesterday and stopped into the LGS on the way out. Speaking to them about this and they confirmed that a .22 conversion kit should not be available to persons in their initial 12 month period. He had a .22 kit for a beretta sitting in the store room waiting till the customer had passed his 12 months to come and pick it up.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 24 Feb 2019, 3:45 pm

Also you need to remember that once your 12 months is up, if you do decide to get one you will have to do the required shoots for that calibre, same as if it were a full gun.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers