How long for a PPL

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

How long for a PPL

Post by redtape » 01 Feb 2019, 11:31 pm

If i currently hold an A/B license how long does it take to get a ppl if i submit a new category/new genuine reason for sport target shooting cat H application. I was told 6-8 weeks which i don't understand since my initial license would have covered my background checks. I realise I need to join a pistol club and take a pistol safe handling course, I am asking about the wait to receive the ppl after club membership and course completed and then my application is sent in. Where in the legislation does the additional 6-8 week period get mentioned?
redtape
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: How long for a PPL

Post by bullzeye » 03 Feb 2019, 7:16 am

This is just the FAR policy.

Did you know, everytime you submit a PTA they run another background/ police check on you?

It’s just a super stringent policy, unnecessary delays etc. Annoying but once the wait is over it’s no big deal.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: How long for a PPL

Post by Wylie27 » 03 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

The process to get a Cat H is not an easy one and you need serious patience.

Your talking about the PPL and not taking into consideration the 2 day safety course which just about every club has about 3 month wait to sit.

Then there is the newbie shoots, you need to do.

With the wait for the PL and that hoopla you are looking at a 6 month+ wait. The whole process to get full cat H can be 15 months.

When you submit a Cat H PTA, it is processed by a police officer and not the office workers

http://www.stmarysindoorshootingcentre. ... icense.php

Regarding the 6-8 week wait. You have the legislated 28 day cooling off period. Then You go into a pile of paperwork which can take a while to process as there have been redundancies at the registry.

Once the office workers process your application it is sent over the police sargeant for manual background check.

Which can take a while depending on their work load.

5 days to mail back to you as they only print on mondays..... then aus post

Bada bing 6-8 weeks.....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers