Walther PPQ Q5 Match

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Walther PPQ Q5 Match

Post by Arcwolf » 02 Feb 2019, 7:00 pm

Anyone here shot the Walther PPQ Q5 Match? Thinking of getting one but also wondering if I should wait until the Steel Frame version comes to Australia to compete in IPSC.
The Wild Card
Arcwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Walther PPQ Q5 Match

Post by zhuk » 02 Feb 2019, 7:55 pm

It'll be about 3 grand by the time it gets through the system here...you could get a pretty good Standard gun for that $

Or a totally tricked out Shadow 2 with all the trimmings (according to the new revised rules per Jan 1) and still have considerable change over. I don"t think most people will bother, tbh
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Feb 2019, 9:41 pm

Brett1868 has one i think... i will ping him to get brett to reply.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Feb 2019, 9:54 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Brett1868 has one i think... i will ping him to get brett to reply.

Don't you ever sleep?

Yes, I have a Walther Q5 Match, in fact I'll be shooting it tomorrow morning at 10am. One of the guys on my sons course got in touch for some advise on a good 9mm to buy so I'm taking a few to the range tomorrow for him to have a shot. I've selected a Glock 17, Walther Q5 Match, Berretta 92FS, Berretta APX and a CZ Orange so he can experience a broad selection of makes and price ranges. I've also packed a 22 and a 45ACP for the boy to shoot, nothing like a 1911 45 to build up the forearms of a 13yr old :)
The Q5 is a very nice pistol, I'd rank it as one of the best striker fired 9mm's on the market and definitely much better then the Glock 17. Keep in mind that while they are a very good pistol they are still not quite up to CZ level. I haven't shot the metal framed version, not sure if they're out yet but I'll check them out eventually.
My advise is that if you intend to do any IPSC competition and have the budget then the only choice has to be a CZ.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Feb 2019, 9:59 pm

Sleep? Whats that? I work in IT....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 03 Feb 2019, 2:14 am

I have a 5 inch PPQ which is the same as the Q5 except for the cut out for the optic.

When I got it and started shooting it I thought it was about perfect except I thought it could do with a steel lower. And well that's exactly what Walther did.

I had a friend of mine in the gun business have a look at one in person at the SHOT show. He says the new steel one is pretty awesome.

The PPQ is a great gun, probably the best striker fired pistol out there. My 5 inch totally beats out Glock on accuracy and ergonomics. The groups on the PPQ are half the size of the Glock groups.

For a match gun I think it comes down to if you want to shoot striker fired or a hammer fired pistol. Personally I shoot hammer fired pistols better and especially those with a steel lower.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Arcwolf » 03 Feb 2019, 7:27 pm

zhuk wrote:It'll be about 3 grand by the time it gets through the system here...you could get a pretty good Standard gun for that $

Or a totally tricked out Shadow 2 with all the trimmings (according to the new revised rules per Jan 1) and still have considerable change over. I don"t think most people will bother, tbh

I just want a stock platform so I can compete in the production class.
The Wild Card
Arcwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Arcwolf » 03 Feb 2019, 7:33 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:Brett1868 has one i think... i will ping him to get brett to reply.

Don't you ever sleep?

Yes, I have a Walther Q5 Match, in fact I'll be shooting it tomorrow morning at 10am. One of the guys on my sons course got in touch for some advise on a good 9mm to buy so I'm taking a few to the range tomorrow for him to have a shot. I've selected a Glock 17, Walther Q5 Match, Berretta 92FS, Berretta APX and a CZ Orange so he can experience a broad selection of makes and price ranges. I've also packed a 22 and a 45ACP for the boy to shoot, nothing like a 1911 45 to build up the forearms of a 13yr old :)
The Q5 is a very nice pistol, I'd rank it as one of the best striker fired 9mm's on the market and definitely much better then the Glock 17. Keep in mind that while they are a very good pistol they are still not quite up to CZ level. I haven't shot the metal framed version, not sure if they're out yet but I'll check them out eventually.
My advise is that if you intend to do any IPSC competition and have the budget then the only choice has to be a CZ.

That’s a solid line up!! I bet he will love the CZ Orange the most, I considered CZ but everyone is running them and for good reasons obviously but I want to try something different is all and it will be my 1st Pistol and I’ll be stuck with it for 12 months before I can apply to acquire another but I’m recalling loving what Walther have created and if I can stretch the budget for the QF SF I might go that route but I’d love to try a CZ Orange!!
The Wild Card
Arcwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 07 Feb 2019, 8:16 am

Arcwolf wrote:
zhuk wrote:It'll be about 3 grand by the time it gets through the system here...you could get a pretty good Standard gun for that $

I just want a stock platform so I can compete in the production class.

So in that case what I said makes sense, especially $ wise if that is an issue.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers