NSW pistol attendance requirements

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

NSW pistol attendance requirements

Post by Camn86 » 09 Feb 2019, 2:03 pm

G'day everyone,

First time poster... after doing countless hours of reading on this forum and the intro pistol shoot at St Marys i have made the decision to start the long process of acquiring my cat H licence.

I have a couple of questions which i have not found a heap of clarity around and I'm hoping you can answer.

With regards to the 6 competiton shoots per year, is that a "self assess" style or more of a serious commitment? I only ask this as i intend on going to the range often however with kids basically i will be going at a time that works in with them (sleep time)

We are potentially moving to S.A in the future, am i best waiting until the move or is this an easy transition to change details etc. Probably wont be inside the next 12 months.

Any other info that you guys have would be much appreciated. Hopefully i haven't missed a thread on this.
Cheers
Camn86
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW pistol attendance requirements

Post by bladeracer » 09 Feb 2019, 6:15 pm

Camn86 wrote:G'day everyone,

First time poster... after doing countless hours of reading on this forum and the intro pistol shoot at St Marys i have made the decision to start the long process of acquiring my cat H licence.

I have a couple of questions which i have not found a heap of clarity around and I'm hoping you can answer.

With regards to the 6 competiton shoots per year, is that a "self assess" style or more of a serious commitment? I only ask this as i intend on going to the range often however with kids basically i will be going at a time that works in with them (sleep time)

We are potentially moving to S.A in the future, am i best waiting until the move or is this an easy transition to change details etc. Probably wont be inside the next 12 months.

Any other info that you guys have would be much appreciated. Hopefully i haven't missed a thread on this.
Cheers

Not sure what you mean by "self assess", it's a requirement by law that you attend the minimum required times. I think some clubs will sign an attendance for club activities other than shooting a competition though, working bees and practice days - ask your club. It is a serious commitment, although you can apply to your club for exemptions for genuine reasons, working away, illness, and such. Your club is not going to support your licence though if you never attend.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Camn86 » 09 Feb 2019, 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reply...basically i am after clarification on what exactly accounts towards the requirement.
As i mentioned i plan to go regularly, so 6 shoots per year wont be an issue. Say if i go and do 6 shoots over a month is that sufficient as far as requirements go ?
Camn86
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Camn86 » 09 Feb 2019, 6:31 pm

Sorry and by self assess i mean can i go and do 6 shoots at any given time or do these need to be lined up with a "competition" ?
Camn86
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Feb 2019, 7:42 pm

Hi,

I am a member of st marys as is a few of us here.

The law says you need to do 6 shoots per year in club shoots. With many after 7pm starts

St marys require you do 3 shoots in club run competition and 3 in your own time.. the club run events are held several times a week.

It is 1 shoot every two months, thst is not onerus at all. Many of us have families and manage to make it work :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Feb 2019, 7:44 pm

The above assumes you have one category of firearms, additional categories require an additional 4 shoots per year per catheory.

Categories are air pistol, rimfire and centrefire.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Camn86 » 09 Feb 2019, 8:15 pm

Thanks Wylie27, that has cleared it up. I wasn't sure if the entire 6 were comp shoots at specific times but it sounds like there is plenty of opportunity to complete them.
I plan on doing a lot more than the minimum but its good to know what im starting.
I would only be getting one category at this stage says everyone.

Appreciate the info
Camn86
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Feb 2019, 10:35 pm

As per Wylie and the actual club requirements below along with a link to the members information. I shoot with Wylie, Pommemax and a few others at St Mary's and it's all very social and loads of fun :)

http://www.stmarysindoorshootingcentre.com.au/admin/_files/pages/1524019158_1473206005_smpc_attendance_policy_v1_30aug16.pdf

6 Club Attendances
6.1 Financial club members are required to attend club organised competitive shooting matches on a minimum of one occasion each bi-monthly period.

6.2 The bi-monthly calendar and reporting calendar year begins on the 1st of April and finishes on the 31st of March the following year.

6.3 The bi-monthly calendar and reporting calendar year is made up of the following divisions: April – May June – July August – September October – November December – January February – March

7 In-Your-Own-Time-Attendance
7.1 Financial members who are unable to regularly participate in club-organised matches, practices or events are provided with the opportunity to participate in In-Your-Own-Time practice sessions.

7.2 In-Your-Own-Time attendances can be utilised up to a maximum of three separate occasions to meet the minimum club attendance requirement of six bi-monthly attendances per calendar year. A member may substitute one In-Your-Own-Time attendance for one calendar event up to a maximum of three separate occasions per reporting year.

7.3 Financial members are encouraged to attend more than the minimum required by law.

7.4 In-Your-Own-Time attendances are recorded when a member attends the club’s nominated range at St Marys Indoor Shooting Centre, in the member’s own time and shoots 10 rounds at a target set at 25 metres.

7.5 The target should be submitted into the timber target box behind range A. The following details should be clearly and legibly recorded in the space provided on the target: - Date - Member Name - Member Number - Category i.e. rim-fire, centre-fire or air pistol - Score (out of 100)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by multiphase » 15 Feb 2019, 10:55 am

On a somewhat similar thread, I have been going through the application rigmarole for the past 4 months and just today received my photo advice in the mail. However, last week I received a letter from the SSAA that the reporting year is ending and that I have not fulfilled the attendance requirements. If the reporting year ends on the 31st March, would I be expected to complete a years worth of attendances in a month once I receive my physical licence or would it be pro-rated?
multiphase
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers