ADI as30n powder for Western action

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

ADI as30n powder for Western action

Post by Blatherskite » 26 Feb 2019, 8:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are new to the Western Action scene and I would like to know if As30n is a suitable powder for .38 specials in Blackhawk revolvers with 6.5" barrels and a Rossi Puma 92 with a 20" barrel. I understand that Trail boss is probably very popular but was wondering if As30n would be a cheaper alternative? Is there any reason why anyone would not use it?

Also does anyone have experience reloading with Sellier & Bellot 38 special cases as I have just purchased 150 rounds of factory for $60, if the cases last a number of reloads then I would get more factory ammo to start with.
Blatherskite
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: ADI as30n powder for Western action

Post by 1886 » 27 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm

You will have a lot of fun.

As30n would be suitable but as Western Action requires downloads for peace of mind I'd go with TB as that's what it's designed for, ie each grain is like a mini life saver lollie so even low loads fill the case. This is to avoid dud ignition of small quantity loads etc.

I'm not familiar with S&B ammo but it would be unlikely that it wouldn't be able to be reloaded for a good while. I keep using Remington brass until it finally splits :D
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wooosaah » 27 Feb 2019, 1:53 pm

Welcome to Western Action, it's some of the most fun you can have shooting! I use AS30N for my rounds in 45LC for Western Action but also for .38s in my S&W686.
ADI has all the guides on their website: http://www.adi-powders.com.au/single-ac ... 8-special/
A quick look here says you probably want to start on 2.5-3.0 grains depending on your projectile size.

I haven't reloaded any S&B, I used Winchester in the 45s and mostly Federal and PPU for .38s. I remember reading somewhere S&B can have 'tight' primer pockets but they would probably be fine. Any brass will do really. You can also just buy new unprimed brass which is what I did as factory 45LC is expensive.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2019, 3:05 pm

Blatherskite wrote:Hi Everyone,

My family and I are new to the Western Action scene and I would like to know if As30n is a suitable powder for .38 specials in Blackhawk revolvers with 6.5" barrels and a Rossi Puma 92 with a 20" barrel. I understand that Trail boss is probably very popular but was wondering if As30n would be a cheaper alternative? Is there any reason why anyone would not use it?

Also does anyone have experience reloading with Sellier & Bellot 38 special cases as I have just purchased 150 rounds of factory for $60, if the cases last a number of reloads then I would get more factory ammo to start with.

I would expect Trailboss to be cheaper than anything else you could try.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blatherskite » 28 Feb 2019, 7:42 am

Cheers guys, that has helped me make my mind up. Has anyone used the Lee classic thrower with TB and got consistent loads?
Blatherskite
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers