Oil in the bore before shooting

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Oil in the bore before shooting

Post by fenderstrat » 08 Mar 2019, 6:29 pm

Hi, I was always told to run a patch of oil through the bore of a gun after cleaning it, before putting it away at the safe. I was also told that before shooting that gun, you need to run a dry patch to remove that oil, otherwise the barrel might get bulged/damaged. So I always have done just that to all my rifles, and my .22 pistol (Ruger Mk IV).
The thing is: I recently bought another handgun, a 1911 in 9mm. And even though I don’t think it is that hard to take it apart, it can be a bit time consuming. I just wanted to know if you guys go through all the trouble of oiling and then removing the oil off your bores? Or maybe you just run a drying patch through the muzzle to get rid of that oil?
And what about lever gun owners? What do you guys do about this?

Cheers
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Oil in the bore before shooting

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Hi, I was always told to run a patch of oil through the bore of a gun after cleaning it, before putting it away at the safe. I was also told that before shooting that gun, you need to run a dry patch to remove that oil, otherwise the barrel might get bulged/damaged. So I always have done just that to all my rifles, and my .22 pistol (Ruger Mk IV).
The thing is: I recently bought another handgun, a 1911 in 9mm. And even though I don’t think it is that hard to take it apart, it can be a bit time consuming. I just wanted to know if you guys go through all the trouble of oiling and then removing the oil off your bores? Or maybe you just run a drying patch through the muzzle to get rid of that oil?
And what about lever gun owners? What do you guys do about this?

Cheers

I don't run anything through my bores until the firearm tells me it needs cleaning when accuracy starts to drop off.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Toolnup » 08 Mar 2019, 7:04 pm

What about running a bore snake through it a couple of times before firing?
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 08 Mar 2019, 7:11 pm

Always a dry patch before shooting.
Lever actions - not a problem.
I own Marlins because they are so easy to remove the bolt. But, if I'm really lazy, wipe out from the muzzle using a bore/muzzle guide.
My Browning BLR is a bit of a PITA because cleaning is from the muzzle end - it's not a take-down. We endure :)
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

Patch from the muzzle, use a guide or just take care. The small amount of time is well worth it given the potential to ring a barrel, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Mar 2019, 6:37 am

A pull thru for the levers or a patch thru the bolt and good to go. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Mar 2019, 6:49 am

Fenderstat,

Nice to see a fellow pistol shooter.

Invest in a bore snake. Lock open the slide open, feed the snake down the barrel and out the muzzle.

Depending on how long between shoots i wouldnt worry about keeping the barrel wet.

Most of my pistols are used atleast once a month, only the ones that i know will be sitting there for a while will be wet from oil.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 09 Mar 2019, 7:37 am

If you don't clear surplus oil from a barrel before shooting you do run the risk of a hydraulic bulge of some sort in your barrel.
Less likely with a low velocity loosely obturated projectile, more likely with a high velocity tightly obturated projectile.
So you can probably get away with lazyness with your 45acp pistol but risk some kind of potential barrel impairment in a 220 swift barrel.
As for those that claim to never or rarely clean their barrels or those that have a poor cleaning technique a good borescope is a real eyeopener.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 09 Mar 2019, 8:16 am

More of a problem with small caliber barrels, 9mm/357 is a pretty big hole down a barrel, also alot shorter than a 22 inch 223 or 22-250 barrel
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by fenderstrat » 09 Mar 2019, 11:35 am

Ok, thanks a lot everyone. I will invest in a bore snake for wiping the oil off before going to the range. I live in a pretty humid place so not oiling my guns is not an option (I learnt that the hard way). I also like to clean them after shooting them, just because I like to have them clean. Its a pride thing... each to his/her own, right?
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2019, 12:01 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Ok, thanks a lot everyone. I will invest in a bore snake for wiping the oil off before going to the range. I live in a pretty humid place so not oiling my guns is not an option (I learnt that the hard way). I also like to clean them after shooting them, just because I like to have them clean. Its a pride thing... each to his/her own, right?

Nothing wrong with keeping them clean and rust-free, but that's different to cleaning the bore. I consider accuracy to be important so I follow what the bore tells me it wants in that regard.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Mar 2019, 3:42 pm

straightshooter wrote:As for those that claim to never or rarely clean their barrels or those that have a poor cleaning technique a good borescope is a real eyeopener.

As in what would be seen? I’ve only even seen pics from scopes but nothing relative.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2019, 4:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
straightshooter wrote:As for those that claim to never or rarely clean their barrels or those that have a poor cleaning technique a good borescope is a real eyeopener.

As in what would be seen? I’ve only even seen pics from scopes but nothing relative.

And more importantly, what would it matter if accuracy is still great?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Mar 2019, 8:45 pm

I was once talking to a Vietnam veteran about oil in the bore and obstructions generally. He told me that once on duty in the scrub he found an enemy dead not from an enemy bullet but from his own rifle exploding in his face
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2019, 6:59 am

Blr243 wrote:I was once talking to a Vietnam veteran about oil in the bore and obstructions generally. He told me that once on duty in the scrub he found an enemy dead not from an enemy bullet but from his own rifle exploding in his face

Apparently wasn't that uncommon not due to oil in the bore just sh@thouse arms!!
(That's the vc or nlf not the regular nva)
:lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 18 Mar 2019, 7:24 am

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:

And more importantly, what would it matter if accuracy is still great?

I agree that sometimes accuracy can be quite acceptable from even disastrously rotten looking barrels.
But why allow them to go that way.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Mar 2019, 10:31 am

Blr243 wrote:I was once talking to a Vietnam veteran about oil in the bore and obstructions generally. He told me that once on duty in the scrub he found an enemy dead not from an enemy bullet but from his own rifle exploding in his face

Didn't the US drop lots of doctored ammunition in the field knowing the enemy would collect it and blow their own rifles up?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 18 Mar 2019, 10:51 am

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Mar 2019, 11:56 am

bladeracer wrote:

Didn't the US drop lots of doctored ammunition in the field knowing the enemy would collect it and blow their own rifles up?

Bloody hell - I’ve watched a lot of Vietnam movies and been to countless gatherings etc - I’ve heard some absolute horror stories, but never this one - not that it would surprise me.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 18 Mar 2019, 12:06 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Bloody hell - I’ve watched a lot of Vietnam movies and been to countless gatherings etc - I’ve heard some absolute horror stories, but never this one - not that it would surprise me.

I knew a Vietnam vet and they would often "accidentally" drop doctored grenades when on patrol knowing the enemy were watching them and would collect them. Fitted with booby-trap fuses so they detonate as soon as the lever is released, no time delay.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers