Handgun chassis kits legal in WA?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Handgun chassis kits legal in WA?

Post by Josh » 25 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

Hi all,
I've seen an increase in interest regarding these "pistol/carbine conversions kids" online, "CAA RONI G2-9 Glock Pistol to Carbine Conversion Stock" https://www.armsunlimited.com/CAA-RONI-G2-9-Glock-Pistol-to-Carbine-Stock-p/roni-g2-9.htm to name one, but there are many more examples you can find online. Does anyone know if they are legal in Australia? I live in WA and I have read through Firearm Regulations 1973 and Weapons Regulations 1999 and I cannot find anything that mentions the restrictions of a firearm chassis.

The only reference I can find, legally speaking, is included in the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018C00797, and the closest I can find is under "firearm accessory"
firearm accessory means any of the following devices, whether or not complete, damaged, temporarily or permanently inoperable, or unfinished:
(a) a silencer, sound moderator, sound suppressor or any other device designed to, or capable of, reducing the noise of discharge of the firearm;
(b) a device designed to modify, or capable of converting, a firearm to give it any of the following capabilities:
(i) burst fire;
(ii) semi‑automatic operation;
(iii) fully automatic operation;
(f) a firearm part to which a firearm accessory is attached or is integral.

(I am not sure what happened to c,d and e).

My local gun shop has mentioned previously, anyone can order a rifle chassis, AI's MDT for example, and as long as its just the chassis and none of the integral parts of a firearm, you can import them. If anyone has any insight to this, i would be interested to hear it. Reading the quote above, this would include a torch, a laser pointer or scope with a rail attachment.

Regards,
Josh
Josh
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Handgun chassis kits legal in WA?

Post by 1Fatman » 26 Mar 2019, 9:06 pm

Simple answer is no, not in WA.
As soon as you put it in a chassis like that it turns it from a pistol to a rifle and the boys in blue will be all over you like a rash.
Forget all about it as it's just not worth the ramifications.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 9:17 pm

Josh wrote:Hi all,
I've seen an increase in interest regarding these "pistol/carbine conversions kids" online, "CAA RONI G2-9 Glock Pistol to Carbine Conversion Stock" https://www.armsunlimited.com/CAA-RONI-G2-9-Glock-Pistol-to-Carbine-Stock-p/roni-g2-9.htm to name one, but there are many more examples you can find online. Does anyone know if they are legal in Australia? I live in WA and I have read through Firearm Regulations 1973 and Weapons Regulations 1999 and I cannot find anything that mentions the restrictions of a firearm chassis.

The only reference I can find, legally speaking, is included in the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018C00797, and the closest I can find is under "firearm accessory"
firearm accessory means any of the following devices, whether or not complete, damaged, temporarily or permanently inoperable, or unfinished:
(a) a silencer, sound moderator, sound suppressor or any other device designed to, or capable of, reducing the noise of discharge of the firearm;
(b) a device designed to modify, or capable of converting, a firearm to give it any of the following capabilities:
(i) burst fire;
(ii) semi‑automatic operation;
(iii) fully automatic operation;
(f) a firearm part to which a firearm accessory is attached or is integral.

(I am not sure what happened to c,d and e).

My local gun shop has mentioned previously, anyone can order a rifle chassis, AI's MDT for example, and as long as its just the chassis and none of the integral parts of a firearm, you can import them. If anyone has any insight to this, i would be interested to hear it. Reading the quote above, this would include a torch, a laser pointer or scope with a rail attachment.

Regards,
Josh

I doubt it, specifically illegal here in Victoria.
Write to WA Firearms and ask them.
And ask your pistol club if they'll allow you to use it, if not then you have no genuine reason.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 06 Apr 2019, 5:27 am

All kinds of illegal in NSW (unsurprisingly). Well you can own one but the moment you attach it to a handgun it becomes a Prohibited Weapon lol

Legal in QLD so I believe but knowing how ridiculous WA laws are I would be extremely doubtful that you could own one.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 07 Apr 2019, 5:41 pm

I think what you are doing is turning a pistol into a semi automatic centre fire rifle - so it wouldn’t be legal in any state of Australia.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2019, 6:28 pm

bullzeye wrote:I think what you are doing is turning a pistol into a semi automatic centre fire rifle - so it wouldn’t be legal in any state of Australia.

Not a rifle unless you lengthen the barrel, or increase overall length above the limit - 650mm I think for handguns?
Somebody in Qld was charged over that due to the _folded_ bipod making the handgun too long.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 08 Apr 2019, 6:03 am

bullzeye wrote:I think what you are doing is turning a pistol into a semi automatic centre fire rifle - so it wouldn’t be legal in any state of Australia.

Legal in QLD, depending on length as bladeracer noted.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers