Ruger MK

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Ruger MK

Post by Zappa » 16 Apr 2019, 6:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger Mark series rimfires ?

Looking at getting one for cheap plinking and marksmanship when I dont feel like carting the 9mm.

Someone said to me the MK2 Target is the pick of the bunch, avoid the MK3's but the new MK4's are easier to pull apart.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Ruger MK

Post by Chinballs » 16 Apr 2019, 6:49 pm

If you're buying new Nioa only bring in the Mark IVs and they are the official Australian Ruger importer.

The Mark III is more reliable but more fiddly to take down. Once you get the hang of it it's fine but the Mark IV is definitely easier.

My experience is based on a shooting gallery that goes through at least a few thousand rounds of .22 a week spread over four guns. Keep feeding them CCI Standard Velocity and you can't go wrong with a Ruger.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 16 Apr 2019, 6:57 pm

Zappa,

I bought a mkiii when the mkiv was under recall! Mines piece of piss to take down.

I did bit of a write up a couple of years ago when i got it. I made some significant changes to it.

Replaced the trigger and sear with a volquartsen accurising kit as the trigger was ordinary out of the box..

Changed the sights due to the rear sight blade breaking and just a few tandemkross parts because i like to tinker.

My thread on it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9006
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 16 Apr 2019, 7:19 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Zappa,
My thread on it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9006

cheers, I'll have a read. I've also heard good things about the volquartsen trigger and shear kits. I might invest in it , when I make up my mind what to get. :unknown:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wooosaah » 17 Apr 2019, 2:27 pm

What ammo is best in these? I have a Mark IV hunter and have used mostly CCI Mini Mags since owning it as the gun shop said they need high velocity to cycle but I see Chinballs says standard...

Zappa I really like my Mark IV and the takedown is great. Mine is the hunter model with target grips. I am having the Volquartsen trigger put in so hoping to see some improvement there.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Emberskies » 18 Apr 2019, 11:22 pm

I have a Mk3 22/45 target and its accuracy with good old CCI standard is phenomenal. A bit of a pain to strip down but a mag disconnect mod and a slingshot mod will bring you upto speed with other 22 pistols.
Emberskies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 19 Apr 2019, 10:40 am

Emberskies wrote:I have a Mk3 22/45 target .

I thought the Ruger mark III's came in either 22/45, Target or Hunter. All different models.

Emberskies wrote: a mag disconnect mod and a slingshot mod will bring you upto speed with other 22 pistols.

What is this mag disconnect and slingshot mod you speak of ? :?:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 19 Apr 2019, 2:08 pm

Great pistols. Even if you get a Series 1 you'll have fun with it.
I bought a Mk2 22/45 that was an ex-club gun. God knows how many rds it would have had thru it, but the range 'smith, a mate, went thru it & replaced springs, extractor & firing pin just in case. It loves CCI Standards.
I then bought a Mk3 target which has had a Voltquartson trigger upgrade done.
I've also replaced both front sights with fibre sights.
You can option these pistols up with heaps of upgrades. Tactical Solutions, Tandemkross, Voltquartson all provide an array of upgrades.
Ammo is a personal choice and you can upgrade the recoil springs to accommodate for ammo from std thru to high velocity.
Next week I pick up a TacSol PacLite which is a custom variant of the Rugers.
One thing with the Mk3 is the Mag disconnect & the loaded chamber indicator. Both of which can be removed via aftermarket upgrades. The mag dosconnect helps with allowing the mags falling free of the frame. As standard the mag will only extend an inch then you have to pull the mag free.
Great plinking pistol & with a good set of sights suitable for rimfire handgun silhouette comp also.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 20 Apr 2019, 2:18 pm

Would you guys buy a MK2 target ( steel frame ) or a MK3 22/45 ( polymer frame) both around $300. ? Im tipping towards the steel frame albeit an earlier model.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 20 Apr 2019, 3:45 pm

If you can handle both of them, I would strongly advise that you do. Try both, in both hands, strong hand, weak, both & see which one fits your hands better.
They can both be upgraded with parts from the companies I mentioned in my last post. The Mk3 will have the LCI, which you may want to remove.
Both will shoot very well.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Emberskies » 23 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

Zappa wrote:
I thought the Ruger mark III's came in either 22/45, Target or Hunter. All different models.

What is this mag disconnect and slingshot mod you speak of ? :?:

Mine definitely says 22/45 Target model.

The mag disconnect mod lets you strip without having to remove and replace the mag every few steps and the slingshot mod lets you recock after the last shot slide holdback by simply pulling back on the slide and letting go. Normally you have to push down on the slide release button. Its all over YouTube if you have a quick search.
Emberskies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers