To reload or not to reload

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: To reload or not to reload

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2019, 10:52 am

Ziad wrote:What's a good powder thrower that ppl recommend. My Lee it's generally plus minus 0.2gr...my OCD doesn't like that and I wanna look at options

I would recommend the Lee, it's more than accurate enough, but it helps if you use a consistent technique and keep the hopper topped up.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2019, 7:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:I would recommend the Lee, it's more than accurate enough, but it helps if you use a consistent technique and keep the hopper topped up.

I have one and seems ok. Most recommend them over others they have tried.

You can always weigh each load you throw.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2019, 9:51 pm

A friend of mine imported an insanely expensive thrower - can’t recall name but it was about $650US and when he tried to show off to me how accurate it was, it simply wouldn’t retain any consistency within a couple gns. He had a cheap hornady next to it that seemed to work just as well...
Personally, I measure each load but I’ve been tempted to buy a thrower for speed of use but my OCD is always asking “is that more powder in the case than last one?” “It is, isn’t it...?” “Go on, you know you want to empty it and measure it...do it!!!’ Ahhhh Fark it!!!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 25 Jun 2019, 11:41 pm

i have a cheep lee it woork great i also check it about ever 10 rounds.
i have rcbs and lee stuff some guys dont like lee stuff but i have used them for years.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Jun 2019, 6:42 am

Ok thanks... looks like Lee it is... bloody easy to throw... but I'll keep checking every load
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2019, 8:19 pm

Ziad wrote:Ok thanks... looks like Lee it is... bloody easy to throw... but I'll keep checking every load

I just throw a bit low and trickle up.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 27 Jun 2019, 8:32 pm

I virtually weigh every charge individually up till recently. I picked up a 2nd hand Dillon Square Deal for 9mm & will the increase in volume of 9mm ammo consumed to date, it would be ludicruous to weigh every charge. So I run a moderate charge of 3.5gn of Red Dot behind a Demon Projectiles .356" 135gn conical. If the Dillon powder unit throws a touch high it isn't too much of an issue. Actually, I've found that it is fairl consistent with Red Dot.

I've also increased the amount of 357Mag ammo used, so I bought one of those Lyman Brass Smith throwers. It too is very consistent with the AP100 load I use.

As for my rifles though, all loads are individually weighed on a set of beam scales. Once I get my finger out & buy a Magnetospeed chrono, I'll be able to see what degree of velocity consistency individually weighed charges gives.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 28 Jun 2019, 7:06 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Ziad wrote:Ok thanks... looks like Lee it is... bloody easy to throw... but I'll keep checking every load

I just throw a bit low and trickle up.

Me too, mine is an old hand-me-down simplex thrower. For pistol I just throw them but for my rifle (hunting) loads I do the same
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 14 Aug 2019, 12:17 am

junjun wrote:I shoot IPSC. I can easily shoot 1000 a month. Thinking to join another club allows me 247 access and shoot on my own. When that happens I will be shooting up to 1000 a week. It costs me about 20 cents reload. Compare to 50 cents factory. Reload is $200 weekly, factory is $500 weekly. The saving is there. Another factor to consider is more IPSC shooter reload because we can have less power factor compare to factory, means less recoil, more control.

Listen to this guy...you're only just getting into centrefires, yes you might start in service pistol but be warned...you might easiy be drawn over to the Dark Side, and IPSC. Once you realise its the most fun you can have with your pants on :mrgreen:

Just DON'T get a Lee Pro 1000 lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Aug 2019, 4:14 am

I gotta ask why....lol... no I a.m not shopping why not dillion
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 14 Aug 2019, 10:15 am

Ziad wrote:I gotta ask why....lol... no I a.m not shopping why not dillion

Dillon is the go to for progressive presses (plus free lifetime warranty on parts can't hurt lol)

Lee make great dies (which are an excellent choice to use in the 650) and their single stages/turret presses are fine. The 1000 progressive, not so much they have a rep for being a bitch to get working properly.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack Ryan » 06 Oct 2019, 2:18 pm

Get a mold and pour your own lead bullets. I'm shooting those for about 10 cents a shot or less.
Free men own guns. Slaves don't.
Jack Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by gunnnie » 08 Oct 2019, 9:40 pm

In the process of doing just this.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 09 Oct 2019, 6:52 am

i had to order some dies for 45/70 no one is stocking it we are looking at a mold for casting
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 11 Oct 2019, 3:35 pm

I reload ALL my own center fire pistol and rifle ammo. For me I have the economic factor under my control as well as the loads that suit each type of shooting. It is up to you.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 14 Oct 2019, 8:27 pm

Huge responses, thanks all. I bought a second hand square deal from some guys at my club, and went halves with a mate. Shot 125 grain proj/3.5 grain powder loads using a mates 1911 Springfield custom and was hitting a lot of bullseyes at 25. A lot less recoil than factory and therefore a lot more fun (and accurate!).
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 15 Oct 2019, 12:34 am

Tubs wrote:Huge responses, thanks all. I bought a second hand square deal from some guys at my club, and went halves with a mate. Shot 125 grain proj/3.5 grain powder loads using a mates 1911 Springfield custom and was hitting a lot of bullseyes at 25. A lot less recoil than factory and therefore a lot more fun (and accurate!).

That's the nice thing about reloading is you can tune your ammunition to suit the gun and what you want to do with it. I make several different 9mm loads for different purposes and competitions.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gunnnie » 15 Oct 2019, 11:00 am

That is one primary point for me, controlling the ammo to suit my firearm.
It's also quite economical for me regards 9mm. The cheapest bulk 9mm ammo I can buy at present it's $325/1000. That's 32.5c per round whereas I can reload for my Glock at 16c a shot. I don't factor in brass a as I'm re-using my brass.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by vmaxaust » 30 Oct 2019, 6:20 pm

[quote="FNQ"]I have toyed with the idea of reloading but for me it’s the time.

My hourly rate doesn’t justify reloading.

Lots of good advice here...

1) For now buy factory ammo and save cases.
2) Don't reload unless you eventually shoot volumes like at least 150-200 rounds a week or more.
3) If you do build up to volume shooting, buy a progressive press (I have 4 Hornady LNL's two of which are Ammo Plants...very fast) The 650 Dillon is also fine.
4) You will NEVER have squibs, jams or any other issues if you are meticulous and very fussy in doing things correctly. Too many people have been reloading for many years, still have problems once in a while and just accept it. That is plain wrong. Factory ammo almost never causes squibs, jams etc. so why would you accept this result from your own reloaded ammo?
5) If you are not prepared to invest in the right equipment, devote the time to do it correctly, then do as the hourly rate man says...forget it.
6) If you still want to reload...don't look at all the fools on Youtube showing you how to do it without a grain of salt. Many are fools who have no idea, others know the right way but don't give you the fine detail which makes all the difference.

You have good people on this and other forums who may or may not lead you the right way. Personally, if you have a local in your area who reloads successfully and is willing to give you some on the job training that is really your best bet.
I'm happy to do this for anyone in Melbourne needing some guidance. I'm sure you will find others in your area happy to reach out. That by far is the best way to determine whether you do your own or keep buying factory ammo.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tank » 17 Nov 2019, 8:13 am

Tubs wrote:Hey All,

First post:) I come off my PPL in the coming month or two. Have been plinking away with a Ruger MK3 Hunter and a Walther PPQ M2 22.

Interested in getting into centrefire (9mm) and have put a deposit down on a Grand power X Calibur.

The cost of 9mm Luger (lead nose) seems to be in the range of 50-60c per shot. Have been tossing up whether to get into reloading but it makes sense if I am make ammo at half the price.

Have seen the Lee Progressive pretty cheap, either that or the Lee Turret.

Any suggestions for a centre fire newbie? lll be doing mainly service pistol matches.

Cheers

If you’re considering being an active member at club level and not just scrape in your required shoots to maintain your licence.....reload.
Taking the economy a step further. I cast my own projes from range trash. Aside my time.....which I count as just part of the sport....I reload 5 different pistol calibers for an average of 7c a shot. Did it cost money to set up? Yes. Does it require some work to produce an accurate resulting product? Sure. But this is massively outweighed by the economy and satisfaction of shooting ammunition you produced yourself.
If you intend just doing the minimum.....go buy it at your LGS. But I question why you bothered putting yourself through the system to get an ‘H’ on your licence in the 1st place.
My 2 cents

Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers