Volquartsen Rimfire

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Volquartsen Rimfire

Post by fitchaj » 21 Aug 2019, 9:28 pm

Gday team. Was wondering if there is anyone out there who owns or has owned a volquartsen scorpion or black mamba?

Can't seem to find too much on the black mamba, but the scorpion seems to get nothing but rave reviews.

I'm currently 2 weeks into waiting for my cat H license and trying to decide which pistol to buy for my first 12 months (Qld).
fitchaj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Volquartsen Rimfire

Post by Macross » 22 Aug 2019, 1:22 pm

Gday fitchaj,

I too am enduring the lengthy lesson in patience which is waiting for my Cat H license. Into week 9 and not even seen the ID check come through yet.

My wife and I went down the same path as you and were pretty keen on the black mamba. Really nice bit of kit and checked one out a few weeks ago. As im sure you know, its lower is a polymer ruger Mark 4 22/45 frame. So its got the nice easy take down button, compared to the scorpion which is the similar fun and games as the Mark 3's etc. Here is a really good vid if you haven't seen it yet about doing the takedown and assembly of the scorpion on youtube… https://youtu.be/jfDa-euWr8g

I eventually decided against the black mamba cause I really didn't want a polymer gun and we ended up getting a ruger mark 4 target second hand which had been tricked out with a lot of tandemkross gear. You could make a Franken-quartsen with after market parts slowly over time.. it would be more expensive that way but a fun project in my opinion.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wooosaah » 22 Aug 2019, 2:18 pm

My friend just bought the black mamba. Hasn't shot it yet but side by side with my mark iv hunter it is so light compared to the steel frame hunter.
Hopefully will test them out side by side soon.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 22 Aug 2019, 5:39 pm

Don't own a Volquartson but I do own a Tactical Solutions PacLite, which you could say is very similar.
I bought it for my wife to use in comp an she loves it. Very light and accurate too. The basis of the pistol is a Ruger Mark 3 frame with the TacSol upper. To pick up a Ruger and then the TacSol you notice the significant difference in weight. The trigger isn't as good as you'll get with your Volquartson but that's an easy fix with a drop in kit. I have also replaced the magazine disconnect bushing mainly to allow the mags to drop free as this is an essential in timed matches. Buggerising around trying to pull the mag out as it doesn't fall free, kills seconds.

You will like the pistol and find it very accurate. Suggest you purchase ammo from multiple makers and test to see which make/type your pistol prefers.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by coma75 » 24 Aug 2019, 5:43 pm

I do own a Scorpion (6.5inch cerokote) & it has the smoothest sexieist trigger out of the box I have ever fired. Bar none. It will reliably & consistantly shoot anything you put into it but for real peak performance you will get the best results with your Lapua's over your CCI's. A guy I work with who has fired mine was going to get one himself but then they announced the black mamba & after looking at it he decided to go with it over the scorpion due to the one button take down. The scorpions breakdown/reasembly is pretty much impossible without watching that youtube vid showing how to do so first. The "trick" to putting my scorpion back together is the ONLY criticism I have about it. I actually won a bet by not cleaning it it all to see how long it would take to start getting FTF's (failure to fire) & it went over 4000 rounds before the first FTF.
Which ever you decide to get from Volquartsen you are going to get a quality firearm that will see you through pretty much everything you want to do.
coma75
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers