Pistol history

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol history

Post by Zappa » 22 Sep 2019, 8:01 pm

Where can I make inquiries to obtain a history of a pistol ? Would my local firearms registry give me that information ?
Just liked to know the provenance and how many owners there were since new.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Pistol history

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Sep 2019, 8:31 pm

G'day Zappa,
LRD will tell you nothing of previous history due to privacy reasons, With some brands of handgun the manufacturer may be able to tell you when a gun was made, and in some limited cases who the wholesaler it was shipped to. A very few historical guns are found with family provenance as to who bought it new, and when, such as one I looked at today that had a letter with it naming the Australian soldier who took it from a German in North Africa during WW2. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 24 Sep 2019, 7:47 pm

G'day N-1MK3 ( Sarg)

Thanks for your reply. I can understand the privacy concerns, but information such as the amount of transfers a firearm has had over a period of time, should be easily accessible.
What can that tell us ? 1) The number of previous owners, 2) Easy to date the firearm when the manufacturer cannot or will not provide that information.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 24 Sep 2019, 8:12 pm

Zappa wrote:G'day N-1MK3 ( Sarg)

Thanks for your reply. I can understand the privacy concerns, but information such as the amount of transfers a firearm has had over a period of time, should be easily accessible.
What can that tell us ? 1) The number of previous owners, 2) Easy to date the firearm when the manufacturer cannot or will not provide that information.

lrd has very little idea when particular firearms are produced.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers