Baikal MP-46M/IZh-46M air pistol

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Baikal MP-46M/IZh-46M air pistol

Post by Hammar » 23 Sep 2019, 2:17 pm

While looking around for an air pistol while waiting for my other PTA to be approved, I've stumbled across this Baikal 46m. From what I've read so far there are countless good reviews and experiences from people around the world since their release in 1996, and for their price (around $400) they seem to be an extremely good quality pistol even compared to some of the top-range models that exceed $2000.
Anyone here you anyone you know that own or have used one of these and the experience with it? As I'm after an air pistol mainly to help me train and improve my .22 shooting, I don't plan on shooting air pistol extensively in competitions and have trouble justifying spending $2500-3000 on an air pistol; the Baikal looks like it could be right up my alley .

Remember, even when those who move you be kings, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice.
Hammar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Baikal MP-46M/IZh-46M air pistol

Post by yowie » 16 Feb 2020, 1:23 pm

I spent a long time looking for one of these and could not find one new or secondhand. From the research i did and speaking to a lot of other shooters they seem like a good first air pistol. I had a try with one that another shooter had and really liked it, He had shot some fairly high scores with it found it Reliable and no extra expense/hassle with air tanks ETC.
I ended up spending the extra coin and getting a Morini and of course weeks later some second hand ones came up.
yowie
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Baikal MP-46M/IZh-46M air pistol

Post by Sarco » 16 Feb 2020, 7:48 pm

A club I belong to has several of these as club guns.
They are good in that they are relatively lightweight and quite accurate. Also relatively simple for novices to use BUT:
There are some issues with the O Rings in the breach mechanism in that they can be blown out (and lost) if the breach is not locked down correctly (That is in the previous photo, these O rings are in the barrel face and the lower face of the triangular section and in this picture the breach is correctly locked when the tongue above is slotted completely in the cutout below it.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers