Give me your thoughts on Colt 1911's

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Give me your thoughts on Colt 1911's

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 29 Oct 2019, 8:08 am

So the other day a mate at my club gave me a shot of his 1911 in 45acp and I bloody loved it.

I've never been into semi auto pistols so know nothing about them, but theres something about the 1911 that really appeals to me and I'm a big fan of the history of them

So what are your thoughts on 1911's and 45acp? How do they compare to other semi auto pistols?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Give me your thoughts on Colt 1911's

Post by flutch » 29 Oct 2019, 11:27 am

I personally cannot stand clubs, the wallflowers, the inevitable upstarts they attract and the office politics of them. But from my past experience and from my experience overseas shooting hand guns. There are three that always stand out as my favourites the two CZ's the SP01 and the Shadow 2, and a well made 1911
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Oct 2019, 11:43 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:So the other day a mate at my club gave me a shot of his 1911 in 45acp and I bloody loved it.

I've never been into semi auto pistols so know nothing about them, but theres something about the 1911 that really appeals to me and I'm a big fan of the history of them

So what are your thoughts on 1911's and 45acp? How do they compare to other semi auto pistols?

The ergonomics are excellent, and these days there are heaps of chamberings, so you can have one frame and a selection of barrels and mags for it, even a rimfire slide.

But the CZ75/85 is the pinnacle of handgun development I think. Other designs have advantages depending on purpose.

A double-action 1911 would be nice.

I would shoot and handle everything you can though, some just feel perfect. I love the Browning Hi-Power, but would love to own a Smith & Wesson M39 or M59.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chinballs » 29 Oct 2019, 2:27 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:So the other day a mate at my club gave me a shot of his 1911 in 45acp and I bloody loved it.

Plenty of other companies make a 1911 and you aren't paying just for the rollmark. Colt are fine but not worth the premium compared to other brands.

You would also be better off avoiding one in .45ACP as you can only shoot it in metallic silhouette which is a match the 1911 is virtually useless at. You also need a high calibre endorsement on top of your normal Cat H. Its not hard but its a hassle just for a gun you can't shoot that often.

Grab one in 9mm (or .38 Super if you have too much money) instead.

As others have said, try as many pistols as possible before buying. Plenty of new members buy a Glock or Beretta based on nothing but them being brands they know and then regret it.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 29 Oct 2019, 3:53 pm

Chinballs wrote: Plenty of other companies make a 1911 and you aren't paying just for the rollmark. Colt are fine but not worth the premium compared to other brands.

You would also be better off avoiding one in .45ACP as you can only shoot it in metallic silhouette which is a match the 1911 is virtually useless at. You also need a high calibre endorsement on top of your normal Cat H. Its not hard but its a hassle just for a gun you can't shoot that often.

Grab one in 9mm (or .38 Super if you have too much money) instead.

As others have said, try as many pistols as possible before buying. Plenty of new members buy a Glock or Beretta based on nothing but them being brands they know and then regret it.

Already have the high cal endorsement and I'd be using for wild bunch western action so not worried about that side of things. I'm actually surprised at what a good price I can find second hand colts on the net. What other brands are you thinking of as far as good quality for price?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Oct 2019, 4:50 pm

G'day Kelsey Cooter,
If the history is a factor, then buy the 45, I have several and love them. Compete with Hi-Power mostly, but use the 45 often. Even the base model Colt can be tuned if your comp allows it, and good accuracy can be had that way. Field Pistol Metallic, which runs half the range of normal, out to 100yds, can be won with a 1911 as our best shooter has proven numerous times with his 1911 (this man has won AASAM several times, he knows his guns).As you have noted the new generation Colt is available for very good prices, in some cases under $1K, whereas an original WW2 or WW1 pistol can get north of 2500 pretty quick. I also own a Norinco 1911A1 which is made from better steel than the American pistols but the finish is poorer and the trigger is just creepy, but CHEAP!! Can be found under $500, buy one and enjoy because a Ferrari may be faster but a Cadillac has style, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JSS » 29 Oct 2019, 6:17 pm

For me comparing them to other semis is hard as it's a "different horses for courses" kinda thing. I'm a big fan of my Cz shadow 2, they're a great gun (especially for the money).
That being said the only thing better than a quality 1911 in 45 acp is two quality 1911s in 45acp. Just get one, you'll love it. Me personally i'd go Kimber over colt (not that there's anything wrong with Colt at all) or if money isn't an issue definitely a Wilson Combat, they are what god uses when he goes shooting.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 30 Oct 2019, 1:44 am

there are 3 at my house they are great i would get one in 9mm you can shoot a lot more my son has a rock island
Attachments
IMG_20170418_141844.jpg
IMG_20170418_141844.jpg (905.65 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Macross » 30 Oct 2019, 9:01 am

Ive only ever shot 9mm 1911's. The owner of our range lent me his personal pistol a few months ago, which had been fine tuned over many years and the target I shot is still on my wall as the best groups I have ever managed to get.

I love the 1911 and was really keen to get one for the nostalgia and history aspect. But after shooting a handful of them through my club, I found that the palm safety lug on most modern varients pounds a nasty square bruise in my dainty little paws. :( I ended up getting a shadow 2 and am really happy with it, but still find my self gazing longingly at the 1911's at the line when we go shooting.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by vmaxaust » 30 Oct 2019, 5:57 pm

Funny how everyone who either doesn't like or even own a Colt 1911 always likes to bag them.
I have a Colt National Match 45, a Colt Trophy 45 and a Trophy in 9mm. They are all much more accurate than 95% of shooters will ever be. I have lots of others including STI Rangemaster 1911 in 9mm which is also wonderful.

The CZ's are great but after having owned several I simply prefer the 1911's. If you felt good holding and shooting one it's a no brainer so long as you shoot a large variety of other semi autos as well till you are able to focus on the type of pistol that gives you the greatest pleasure and find you are immediately at one with the grip and trigger. Any handgun needs to feel instantly comfortable in ones hands to provide the best opportunity to shoot it consistently.

I also have favourites for different competitions. My Baby Desert Eagle in 9mm is the absolute best for me in WA1500 and some Service Match comps. The 1911's are also great in those but I prefer them for ISSF 25 metre comps and others.

If you simply loved shooting the 45ACP Colt then you are the same as me. With the right loads they are easily as accurate or more accurate than some big dollar specialty models.

Try before you buy.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers