Second Handgun - When can you submit PTA

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Second Handgun - When can you submit PTA

Post by Macross » 08 Jan 2020, 2:47 pm

Now that ive got my first handgun in the safe, my thoughts are now turning to my next acquisition. I know there is a 12 month wait, but what date does that start counting from? Is it the date that the license approval email came? Or the date I submitted my initial license application?

Anyone know how to work out when I can submit my next PTA?
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Second Handgun - When can you submit PTA

Post by JSS » 10 Jan 2020, 9:07 am

12 months after the date stated on your licence conformation email.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 11 Jan 2020, 2:47 pm

I was once told by a bloke at a gun shop that the 12 months start from the date you pick up your first purchased handgun.

I don't go there much anymore.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Rider888 » 13 Jan 2020, 5:31 am

I got my first in the 2nd 6 months of my probation licence and then acquired more after my full licence was issued
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 07 Feb 2020, 9:00 pm

In nsw we are lucky in the sense we can purchase 2 handguns in the second six months of our ppl. But we can’t have both centre and rim fire . 2 of one or the other
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Nails » 22 Oct 2021, 6:36 am

Hello all
I’m in Qld, my cat H first anniversary comes up on 8/2/22, I have a Ruger 22lr pistol in the safe that I picked up not long after my cat H license was approved. I now have a revolver waiting at the gunshop and I’ve just got my club approval letter for it.
My question is how soon can I submit the pta for the new revolver? I was going to submit today so that is will be approved and waiting for me soon after my license anniversary, but the SSAA office told me it would just get rejected if I did and waste the application fee, so does anyone have experience with early submission for second pistol?
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 22 Oct 2021, 9:38 am

Hey Nails,

WLB will not process your new PTA until you reach the first year of being licensed and unlike new applications they won't hold onto it in the queue. They can only approve/reject based on the information on the date it is being processed. If you haven't reached the 1 year point on that day they will call you and advise you to withdraw the PTA so that you get a refund, otherwise they will reject it and you won't.

I had a lot of fun and games with early submission of subsequent Cat H PTAs, I submitted 12 weeks early and about 4 weeks later got called and told to withdraw or they would be rejected. Then I submitted again 4 weeks early and got a call after 2 weeks with the same advice. Finally I submitted new PTAs immediately, 2 weeks early, and those were processed with no issues a day or so after my 1 year anniversary of being licensed. Refunds take 4-6 weeks to come through.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 22 Oct 2021, 11:12 am

Having just gone through this process and speaking to a few blokes at different LGS. You need to apply for it on or after the anniversary.

I was very much hoping to save myself a few weeks of wait time aswell.

As RC mentioned, as I was told by LGS employees, they will generally refund your pta until the correct conditions are met.

The 3 I submitted all took 2 weeks (Give or take a day) which seems to be the norm at current with speaking to other blokes at my pistol club.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Nails » 22 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm

Thanks rc42 andRwd22,
Thats a big help, it sounds like I might also need to get a new club letter closer to the anniversary date, its already a couple of weeks old, but thats ghe easy bit. I’ve heard they last about 3 months but it’ll be just over that by February.
Just have to wait as usual I guess
Thanks again!
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 24 Oct 2021, 8:26 am

The Mrs had one that was dated 6 months earlier, we decided to re-fill the club letter, just so there wasn't an hiccups.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Oct 2021, 11:41 am

I've never heard of issues with the date of the club support letter or any expiry period that applies to it.

If anyone has had a response from WLB instructing them to get a more recent one I'd be interested to know.

This could only apply during that first 12 months though, for subsequent PTA's I've lodged them on the day that the email from the club with the support letter comes through.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by djmm » 20 Jan 2022, 9:35 am

Just wondering when you request additional gun, on the application do you need to put justification why you need them?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 20 Jan 2022, 3:34 pm

For QLD Cat H handguns, a 'genuine reason' and justification has to be submitted with every PTA application, including why no existing handgun is suitable. I would expect other states to be similar, some are for A/B PTAs too.

Consideration should always be given to the fact that WLB will have every previous reason on record and will likely check through them when considering new applications. Always best to be honest and truthful, if nothing else it makes what you've written easy to remember.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by djmm » 20 Jan 2022, 5:53 pm

If that's the case then no one can ever own 2 similar calibre pistols then, as they can say what's wrong with your current one?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Rwd22 » 20 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm

djmm wrote:If that's the case then no one can ever own 2 similar calibre pistols then, as they can say what's wrong with your current one?

My standard reason on the PTA form is "For approved shooting competitions at an approved range"

IF they ask you to validate why you require another 9mm semi auto (for example) You may have one that is away for repairs, one that is single action, one that is double action, one for ipsc, one for target matches, one for service matches, one for short target matches, one for long target matches...
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by djmm » 21 Jan 2022, 7:20 am

Oh ok that's a good tip, thanks.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 21 Jan 2022, 8:52 am

A 'backup' pistol to use in competition if the main one fails seems to be an acceptable reason, also different pistol configurations for open or standard division in 9mm/38 Super (red dot/compensator vs open sights).
For revolvers and rimfire having pistols set up with optics or open sights is also accepted for possessing two different pistols.
Some competitions restrict barrel length too so you might need a 4" revolver for Service 25 and a 10" one for metallic silhouette.

Along those lines you could reasonably justify four pistols of the same caliber and action before you'd be scratching your head for reasons.

I've heard that you can get two pistols in the same caliber and action in QLD before WLB will start to look at the reasons on the PTA.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 21 Jan 2022, 2:55 pm

rc42 wrote:A 'backup' pistol to use in competition if the main one fails seems to be an acceptable reason, also different pistol configurations for open or standard division in 9mm/38 Super (red dot/compensator vs open sights).
For revolvers and rimfire having pistols set up with optics or open sights is also accepted for possessing two different pistols.
Some competitions restrict barrel length too so you might need a 4" revolver for Service 25 and a 10" one for metallic silhouette.

Along those lines you could reasonably justify four pistols of the same caliber and action before you'd be scratching your head for reasons.

I've heard that you can get two pistols in the same caliber and action in QLD before WLB will start to look at the reasons on the PTA.

Exactly. Well said...........but bureaucrats just don't understand that.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers