Beretta 92fs

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Beretta 92fs

Post by Jt-2019 » 11 Feb 2020, 6:59 pm

Beretta 92 fs

Looking for people's views on this pistol. And to hear stories about there experiences cheers.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Re: Beretta 92fs

Post by Wylie27 » 11 Feb 2020, 8:39 pm

They are a solid pistol. Good accuracy for a service pistol.

But it is a service pistol, not the best trigger on a pistol but certainly not the worst
Do you have small hands? The 92fs has a large grip.

I dont currently own one, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt have one in my safe.

Now the 92x thats something that i really want. Its a 92fs for conpetitions
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 12 Feb 2020, 7:05 am

I'd say a good all around solid service pistol, probably slightly heavier and bigger than many would want these days. I've used them at work and my dad owned one for a while, so I have shot them plenty over the years. Currently do not own one but have considered the ex Italian Police ones coming into the USA right now as they are only $300 US$. I have shot and owned a lot of different pistols and personally myself I prefer DA/SA metal framed pistols better than plastic framed striker pistols so at some point I will add more SIG 220 series pistols and a Beretta 92.

I bought a baby Beretta 81 last year in 32 ACP and I just love shooting it. Built in 1980, this was an ex Italian police surplus gun. That gun accelerated my interest in owning a 92.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by pomemax » 12 Feb 2020, 12:28 pm

I have a Beretta 92FS solid service pistol ,
The 92fs has a large grip I have just normal size hands feels ok to me.
When I bought it it has Crimson trace site fitted took that off and fitted rosewood grips made the grip a bit smaller I think the trigger its not the best but take some time and you will get used to it .
I also bought a Beretta 87 target .22 single action fitted a red dot sight to , unbeliveable how accurate it is wish the 9mm was the same
Hi Wylie 27
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jt-2019 » 12 Feb 2020, 1:42 pm

Wylie27 wrote:They are a solid pistol. Good accuracy for a service pistol.

But it is a service pistol, not the best trigger on a pistol but certainly not the worst
Do you have small hands? The 92fs has a large grip.

I dont currently own one, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt have one in my safe.

Now the 92x thats something that i really want. Its a 92fs for conpetitions

I have a decent sized hand would love to shoot own or maybe own one some day
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Jt-2019 » 12 Feb 2020, 1:44 pm

wanneroo wrote:I'd say a good all around solid service pistol, probably slightly heavier and bigger than many would want these days. I've used them at work and my dad owned one for a while, so I have shot them plenty over the years. Currently do not own one but have considered the ex Italian Police ones coming into the USA right now as they are only $300 US$. I have shot and owned a lot of different pistols and personally myself I prefer DA/SA metal framed pistols better than plastic framed striker pistols so at some point I will add more SIG 220 series pistols and a Beretta 92.

I bought a baby Beretta 81 last year in 32 ACP and I just love shooting it. Built in 1980, this was an ex Italian police surplus gun. That gun accelerated my interest in owning a 92.

Yeah wow they are about $1100-$1200 in Aus...
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Jt-2019 » 12 Feb 2020, 1:45 pm

pomemax wrote:I have a Beretta 92FS solid service pistol ,
The 92fs has a large grip I have just normal size hands feels ok to me.
When I bought it it has Crimson trace site fitted took that off and fitted rosewood grips made the grip a bit smaller I think the trigger its not the best but take some time and you will get used to it .
I also bought a Beretta 87 target .22 single action fitted a red dot sight to , unbeliveable how accurate it is wish the 9mm was the same
Hi Wylie 27

Yeah wow everybody says it's a decent service pistol
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by CactusElite » 12 Feb 2020, 1:45 pm

I have the M9A3. I won't vouch for the performance of a 92fs based off my experience with the A3. All I can really say about them is,

- The standard grip is big but okay for me. With averageish sized hands.
- The weight and size is fine, it makes it very easy to control.
- People complain about the safety/decocker being on the slide and spring loaded. It's a non-issue in a competition gun. I have also never accidentally activate the decocker or safety while racking the slide... So yeh. Ignore those people.

I can't think of any other common complaints..
CactusElite
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jt-2019 » 12 Feb 2020, 3:14 pm

CactusElite wrote:I have the M9A3. I won't vouch for the performance of a 92fs based off my experience with the A3. All I can really say about them is,

- The standard grip is big but okay for me. With averageish sized hands.
- The weight and size is fine, it makes it very easy to control.
- People complain about the safety/decocker being on the slide and spring loaded. It's a non-issue in a competition gun. I have also never accidentally activate the decocker or safety while racking the slide... So yeh. Ignore those people.

I can't think of any other common complaints..

I've picked up a m9a3 pretty nice kit to be honest
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by JSS » 12 Feb 2020, 8:03 pm

I've got a 92fs in my collection and i think it's the worst pistol i own, it's so bad it never leaves the safe. I think they are a typical Hollywood gun, something very very average made famous in a few movies in the 80's & 90's and completely overrated. They just don't stand out in any way and IMO a 1911, cz75, Glock, or a Hi-Power were all better service pistols than a Beretta. Then you compare them to some of the newer service pistols like a P320 (for arguments sake) and there's just no logical reason why you'd buy a 92, unless of course you just like them and want one because you want one, which is fair enough and a valid reason in itself too.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jt-2019 » 13 Feb 2020, 8:32 am

JSS wrote:I've got a 92fs in my collection and i think it's the worst pistol i own, it's so bad it never leaves the safe. I think they are a typical Hollywood gun, something very very average made famous in a few movies in the 80's & 90's and completely overrated. They just don't stand out in any way and IMO a 1911, cz75, Glock, or a Hi-Power were all better service pistols than a Beretta. Then you compare them to some of the newer service pistols like a P320 (for arguments sake) and there's just no logical reason why you'd buy a 92, unless of course you just like them and want one because you want one, which is fair enough and a valid reason in itself too.

First person who doesn't think they are good fair enough I've taken on board all of the comments.

I have to admit every 1911 I shot I loved but also every beretta I've shot I loved. I assume you have quite a large collection? I haven't shot a p320 but now I'll try it just too as the difference.

Thanks for adding your input.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by JSS » 13 Feb 2020, 10:02 am

Jt-2019 wrote:First person who doesn't think they are good fair enough I've taken on board all of the comments.

I have to admit every 1911 I shot I loved but also every beretta I've shot I loved. I assume you have quite a large collection? I haven't shot a p320 but now I'll try it just too as the difference.

Thanks for adding your input.

Sorry to rain on your parade, personally I think if you're planning on getting a bunch of handguns then sure get one, but if you're only going to have a couple or a few (and in my experience most people have 6 or less handguns) then there are just so many better options to spend your money on.

Goodluck and i'm sure you'll have fun with whatever you get. :thumbsup:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Feb 2020, 12:51 pm

Not sure about glocks, really depends on the model

IMHO glock is a worse pistol for service than the 92fs.

The triggers i have used are terribad.

But ultimately its a personal choice. Try a 92fs if u canz
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Feb 2020, 1:46 pm

G'day Jt-2019,
I also have a significant collection of handguns, and shoot comps every month (CSD), I have used a 92FS for a couple of years and find it a very nice handling, reliable pistol. Easy to see why the US Army used them for 35 years, the Marines for 14 years and 36 other countries Police and Military still using them. Having said that, I cannot post a good score with it, and it is me not the pistol as I have lent it to one of the clubs better shooters who scored close to a possible with it. The new striker fired Beretta is another story, love them and will buy an APX sometime this year. Will never sell the 92FS, but will "retire" it from comps. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jt-2019 » 13 Feb 2020, 1:48 pm

Nah it's all good just curious on what people think deffenatly something to think about
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Jt-2019 » 14 Feb 2020, 5:19 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Not sure about glocks, really depends on the model

IMHO glock is a worse pistol for service than the 92fs.

The triggers i have used are terribad.

But ultimately its a personal choice. Try a 92fs if u canz

Not so keen on glock. I can appreciate them for what they are but just not my preference.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Jt-2019 » 14 Feb 2020, 5:20 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Jt-2019,
I also have a significant collection of handguns, and shoot comps every month (CSD), I have used a 92FS for a couple of years and find it a very nice handling, reliable pistol. Easy to see why the US Army used them for 35 years, the Marines for 14 years and 36 other countries Police and Military still using them. Having said that, I cannot post a good score with it, and it is me not the pistol as I have lent it to one of the clubs better shooters who scored close to a possible with it. The new striker fired Beretta is another story, love them and will buy an APX sometime this year. Will never sell the 92FS, but will "retire" it from comps. Cheers.

I mean if police and multiple military's have used them like the 1911 they must be onto something?
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Wylie27 » 14 Feb 2020, 7:15 pm

I am not knocking 92fs as i have owned 2 of them but a target / competition Is not their design or their primary function

Police and military have much different selection criteria that say you or i. Accuracy is secondary to durability, reliability and functionality.

GIve me a choice from CZ or Beretta for comp shooting i would take the cz...

If i had the cash i would buy a 92fs so lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 15 Feb 2020, 7:43 am

Agreed, you definitely won't be doing this with one. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtDy7lX6iJw
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 15 Feb 2020, 10:38 am

There are plenty of people having success in USPSA and IDPA pistol competition with modified Beretta 92s and we are seeing more and more interest in target or custom 92s here in the USA. The Wilson Combat Beretta 92 seems pretty popular in it's niche and sells well.

I think what you have to remember is that this is a service pistol, like a Glock or CZ 75, so usually if you aim to use it in competition it will probably benefit from modifications. In any case myself shooting stock 92s, I think they are more accurate than a Glock.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 15 Feb 2020, 10:43 am

Jt-2019 wrote:Yeah wow they are about $1100-$1200 in Aus...

The Beretta 92 FS runs about $600 US$. The $300 Berettas are surplus 30-40 year old 92S models from the police in Italy. They trade in their old Berettas to Beretta for new ones and get a trade in discount on the new ones. Beretta then flips the old ones to the USA for a profit. Most people don't realize that companies like Glock and Beretta don't really make much or any money on selling discounted new guns to law enforcement, they make the money on the trade ins. It's convenient for the law enforcement agency, they get a discount on the new guns and don't have to worry about selling the old ones.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jt-2019 » 15 Feb 2020, 4:03 pm

Wylie27 wrote:I am not knocking 92fs as i have owned 2 of them but a target / competition Is not their design or their primary function

Police and military have much different selection criteria that say you or i. Accuracy is secondary to durability, reliability and functionality.

GIve me a choice from CZ or Beretta for comp shooting i would take the cz...

If i had the cash i would buy a 92fs so lol

Yeah I agree CZ is great
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Angel » 28 Feb 2020, 2:00 pm

As an owner of one of these fine pieces, I love it. Fired thousands of rounds through it and it comes back.for more.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 28 Feb 2020, 9:02 pm

What club you in? What comps do you intend to shoot? Do you reload? The Beretta may not be ideal depending on the answer about comps. If you happen to be in Sydney then I have a selection of Beretta's you're welcome to try, I've got an 87 Target, 92FS, M9A3, Wilson Combat and an APX. I don't mind Beretta's as a whole but I've no passion for them when there's so much better value for money. When the 92X is out in numbers then I might find passion :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Feb 2020, 4:01 pm

When u get a 92x i will be shooting it ;)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Dabi » 19 Jun 2020, 8:10 pm

looking into the 92x performance, anyone bought one yet?
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 16 Jul 2020, 9:07 am

I own a 92fs and a Glock and I find the 92 has less recoil as it is a heavier unit than the Glock. With that I find the 92FS a better unit to shoot with but I do love my Glock too.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers