How are we supposed to qualify when clubs are closed

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

How are we supposed to qualify when clubs are closed

Post by plinksterman » 23 Mar 2020, 9:12 pm

Now that the government has ordered all clubs to close, how are people meant to qualify for their cat H license?
Veritas Aequitas
plinksterman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: How are we supposed to qualify when clubs are closed

Post by Stix » 23 Mar 2020, 9:22 pm

Are you a member of SSAA...?

A good question for them, any other affiliation & any club you are a member of/intend to join...

& a question that should be made public with ministers pushed for answers until satisfactory outcomes, compromises & alternatives are offered...!!

Write a letter to the appropriate & relevant bodies & have it signed by as many people as possible...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 Mar 2020, 10:02 pm

Shooters Union have been asking Police how do people comply with minimum participation requirements for Cat H.

Some states have replied Qld have not.

Perhaps emailing them would be good then you're on record for trying to comply.

Here is what NT said should give you some hints on what to ask when you email them.
Attachments
nt.png
nt.png (158.66 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1Fatman » 23 Mar 2020, 11:41 pm

Well here is WA's answer to the question.....
Attachments
48d657bda8e7cacf6c940cb6df43f97b43d25a75.jpg
48d657bda8e7cacf6c940cb6df43f97b43d25a75.jpg (468.62 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by No1_49er » 24 Mar 2020, 8:00 am

Did anybody notice that the NT notification is worded "being no exception", while WA (inadvertently ?) used "being no exemption?
Is that a copy and paste typo', or a subtle rewording?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Mar 2020, 9:05 am

I dont think its a subtle rewording with a hidden meaning...just a copy & paste job from WA because id guess, judging by the last paragraph they've inserted, they're not smart enough to write their own.

They've been asked for a solution to what is clearly a contradiction in firearm regulations with the current society lockdown---that being minimum requirements for handgun ownership.

The NT & SA have stated clearly that no changes to regs will take place, but that they are sensibly willing to allow people to place the social restrictions ahead of hand gun regs for the remainder of this year without penalty...a clear, definitive & sensible guideline by the regulators.
Whereas i read that WA have left themselves completely in the open by leaving it up to the individual &/or club...& thats utterly ludicrous from a governing perspective.
They've literally stated for the firearms clubs to manage the attendance in line with changes..but what makes no sense is 'allowing a catch-up'... :crazy: ...so allow it, but its not mandatory...so do whatever you feel like...?? :unknown:
They've almost contradicted themselves...i cant see how they can be so stupid....that last paragraph has no definitive conclusion or Government direction--its madness.

That last paragraph, if it were written by any social body, employer, or individual, & was enforced on another, could & would easily be torn apart in court by any lawyer with half a brain, purely on contradiction & neglect....its like telling someone you have to do your work from home, but you wont get paid unless you come in the office to work, but youre not allowed to come in the office & you have to work from home, & we might pay you if you make up the out of office time at a later date... :unknown:

But of course being a Govt, with communist like mind set who says to do as i say but dont ask me what you should do, who knows where that leaves it.

Im honestly flabbergasted to see that come from a Government...seriously, who do they employ there...?...its as if theyve gone out of their way to look stupid & avoid common sense.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Mar 2020, 12:34 pm

From Qld

Thank you Firearm Owners United and Shooters Union.
Attachments
qld cat h.jpg
qld cat h.jpg (83.12 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 24 Mar 2020, 4:54 pm

I can't answer for other states, however at my club, regular shooting (catH) is still viable with restrictions brought in by the club to comply with virus requirements.
Works ok at present.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 24 Mar 2020, 6:04 pm

Bugman wrote:I can't answer for other states, however at my club, regular shooting (catH) is still viable with restrictions brought in by the club to comply with virus requirements.
Works ok at present.

Same situation at two of the three clubs to which I belong.

I other has indicated that all activities are to cease.

However both that are still active have stated this may change with little or short notice.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 24 Mar 2020, 7:47 pm

Bugman wrote:I can't answer for other states, however at my club, regular shooting (catH) is still viable with restrictions brought in by the club to comply with virus requirements.
Works ok at present.

I am a member of 3 handgun clubs.
Two have allowed activities to continue but within guidelines.
The other has closed down completely.

However both that have activities continuing have indicated that this may change rapidly at short or even no notice.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 24 Mar 2020, 10:50 pm

Specifically Queensland.
There seem to be many variants of what is and is not going to be allowed with respect to Cat H participation requirements.
Go here: - https://www.police.qld.gov.au/units/weapons-licensing , scroll down the News section, and you will find the current requirements, conveniently tabulated for the number of Classes you shoot.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Mar 2020, 4:47 am

Mr L Cubbage ? Your a knob jockey...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 25 Mar 2020, 10:46 am

I spoke to soon. Just got an email stating the entire shooting complex I go to, is shutdown until further notice.............................sigh.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Macross » 25 Mar 2020, 11:07 am

QLD WLB has posted on the weapons licensing site that required shoots have been reduced prorate for the remainder of the year... meaning, you should have completed a proportional amount of shoots up until the 1st of march.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/units/weapons-licensing

That being the case, I can see this being used as a potential tool to weed out Cat H license holders who are not active in the sport, but rather just barley meeting the legislative requirements so they can own a hand gun. One comment I saw went something along the lines of "Cat H license holders have had eight months to complete competitions"....

Ive seen the range full of people you otherwise never see toward the end of the year.. and it looks like these guys are gonna have to show cause as to why they have completed no shoots in the eight months leading up to range closures. Not a great position to be in if WLB wants to put pressure on casual license holders.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 26 Mar 2020, 7:51 pm

When I did my saftey course old mate said he broke both his hands and could not shoot for awhile and he still kept his licence. Just reading the QLD weapons act there is a provision for people who can not meet their shooting requirements.

“Also, if in a particular financial year the licensee satisfies an authorised officer that the licensee is, or was, unable to comply with a relevant participation condition for the year for reasons outside the licensee’s control, the authorised officer may decide the number of times, if any, that the licensee must use, or was required to use, a weapon in a club organised shoot for the particular year to satisfy the participation condition.“
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by FNQ » 27 Mar 2020, 10:38 pm

Out of interest.

Has anyone ever been asked to show their attendance records?
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sus_scrofa » 28 Mar 2020, 7:14 am

How many pistol shooters on here are lazy? and not pro active. I admit I'm lazy in general but I've done all my shoots and so have all my mates. We do them as soon as we can so they are done then we don't have to worry about it for the rest of the year. Then we just go "practice" for the rest of the year.
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 28 Mar 2020, 5:22 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:How many pistol shooters on here are lazy? and not pro active. I admit I'm lazy in general but I've done all my shoots and so have all my mates. We do them as soon as we can so they are done then we don't have to worry about it for the rest of the year. Then we just go "practice" for the rest of the year.

I couldn't agree more. I do the same routine, but there will be people out there who in the first months once issued with a licence. Got to help them somehow in this current situation, I guess.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 30 Mar 2020, 6:00 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:How many pistol shooters on here are lazy? and not pro active. I admit I'm lazy in general but I've done all my shoots and so have all my mates. We do them as soon as we can so they are done then we don't have to worry about it for the rest of the year. Then we just go "practice" for the rest of the year.

I’m sitting in the first 6 months of my PPL and knocked out the required 3 matches and have all my paperwork signed by the club ready to put my PTA in on 10th June. Hopefully firearms keep processing and I’ll be able to get my first handgun and be ready when the range reopens.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pignmud » 01 Apr 2020, 12:08 am

1Fatman wrote:Well here is WA's answer to the question.....

I think there sentence saying clubs can afford members the opportunity to do catch up shoots keeps us all in clear in WA

Have heard a few clubs still hassling them for further clarification but I would err on side of leaving it.

They’ve already given waiver by saying that.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 01 Apr 2020, 6:46 pm

I think maybe also for those who are members of clubs which rely on match fees to stay open we should be open to contributing these fees in advance for ‘catch up shoots’ later.

The ranges are doing it tough also.

If it means keeping the sport afloat until end of Covid I’m willing to.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by goat » 01 Apr 2020, 7:08 pm

I'd be willing to pay in advance to keep my club open no problem. I have never been a member of a club that was strucuted primarily to make money, they are run by enthusiasts for all over our benefit

I didn't complete my required shoots this year...missed by one, first time ever. Busy year then lost a couple months due to an injury sustained requiring surgery that prevented me from shooting, (have all docs to verify of course) followed by ranges closing before end of reporting year.

Has anyone ever had to report less than the required attendances? I assume i will receive a please explain request at some stage.
goat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 04 Apr 2020, 8:57 am

In Q anyway ammo sales have been stopped by the police so that's another potential problem for some. I 'panic bought' extra before sales were stopped and now have no where to use it LOL.

Oh well, price rises are on the way so not so bad after all.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by plinksterman » 04 Apr 2020, 10:19 am

Yes, SSAA Qld.

Okay guys I made this thread after driving to the gun club on the Monday afternoon to see that they closed midday Monday, when the gov made the decision to close all clubs. They were open the day before. Since then the police QLD website said because of corona, the shoots have been reduced, if you have at least 4 shoots you are OK, no need to talk. If you have less than 4 then you have to call them and talk to them and tell them so they can say its okay.

I have 5 shoots so I'm okay. But if you were not going to the range for 8 months and planned to do all your shoots right at the end and now you can't, you can just call the cops and give a sob story and they might say its okay, but on the website it says it will be case by case or something. That's all I know. Also the head office is still open so things like emailing QP518's is still happening, but I don't know if the rep is only on certain days or if its every day. I was still building my skills, I do the competition no 12 (rapid fire 10 @ 10m, 10 @ 15m) get total comp scores like 110. So hope the clubs aren't shut down for too long need to keep practicing.
Veritas Aequitas
plinksterman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers