Brisbane Pistol Club Recommendations

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Brisbane Pistol Club Recommendations

Post by RuinedNoodle » 01 Jun 2020, 2:25 pm

Hi guys, I'm thinking about joining a pistol club after they relax restrictions a little more. Don't currently have a Cat. H license but have A/B license.
I live south Brisbane, Ipswich is about 40 minutes away and Belmont is about 30 minutes away - any recommendations on which club you've had good experiences with?
Would it be better to sign up with Shooters Union and just turn up to comps or should I join a club with their own range?
Cheers.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Brisbane Pistol Club Recommendations

Post by Rwd22 » 01 Jun 2020, 10:17 pm

I can't recommend Hillcrest Indoor Club highly enough, they're only about 10 mins away from me, missus and I are on a family membership deal so that makes it a fair bit more affordable, range hire is included in the membership.

Ripley isn't too far of a hike, I think the membership prices are quite cheap, but there's a fee for each time you visit.

On average we shoot once a week (Before the restrictions kicked in) so paying a fee for each visit wasn't cost effective in our case.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 01 Jun 2020, 11:53 pm

The Belmont complex has the most options, City of Brisbane Pistol Club and Metropolitan Pistol Club both have good ranges and lots of great reviews but are expensive, SSAA Pistol Section is cheaper but fewer facilities, it does seem to have the largest number of competitions though.

I think all are based on annual range pass membership so no extra costs when you visit the range.

I joined the SSAA club so I can provide a bit more about that.
As an A/B licensee you don't need a QP515 so just two references and then book in a pistol club induction, they usually run monthly, annual range fees are about $250 per year and are pro-rata Sept to Sept, there are some other one off made up fees too, I guess to maximize $$ from those who don't stay long term.

The induction is about half a day, depending on numbers, and involves lots of being talked at in a classroom and some hands on training with a 22 semi-auto. Once complete the 6 month probation begins and you need to complete 3 competitions in that time if you want to apply for a Cat H license.
In that 6 months you work up through a competence sheet using club guns, 4 shoots with 22 semi-auto (one can be air pistol) then 4 shoots with revolver and finally 4 shoots with 9mm semi-auto, you have to complete the competency to get club support for your first pistol so you can stop after 4 shoots if you only want an air pistol or 22 semi-auto. It really sucks that you can only do competitions in the first 6 months as that's when practice would be of most use, if you can't find a licensed shooter with Range Office level 2 to supervise you then you have to wait to be licensed and get your own RO level 1 to be allowed to practice alone.

There are a lot of different shoots with different captains so you see all levels from strict structures shoots to what seems like barely organized chaos, club guns are only available during the day and not for action shoots so the choices are limited during probation but there are still about 10 shoots per month that you can attend. They are very strict on safety and on the required 1:1 supervision, a good bunch overall though and friendly so I've been able to have a go with quite a few different pistol types.

For license application you need to have completed the probation, the minimum 3 shoots and a Cat H safety course in the last 12 months, then you wait and wait some more, my license approval came through in 19 weeks, still waiting for the card but 2 weeks is usual for that.

Members from other clubs like SU can visit (or they could pre-covid, not sure when that will be back to normal) but the cost was about $30 per visit and I'm not sure that applies to unlicensed shooters, you'd have to check with the clubs on that and do very few visits to make it worthwhile.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 02 Jun 2020, 9:03 am

My advice would be to join Shooters Union for your licence requirement, then go around and get a feel for the various pistol clubs, you'll find a lot of difference between how clubs do things along with the attitudes of the clubs and their member because they really do vary a lot. Nothing worse than joining a club only to find you clash with the way they want you to do things and some of their attitudes..
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 02 Jun 2020, 10:07 am

Rwd22 wrote:I can't recommend Hillcrest Indoor Club highly enough, they're only about 10 mins away from me, missus and I are on a family membership deal so that makes it a fair bit more affordable, range hire is included in the membership.

Hillcrest is pretty close, looks like they are about a hundred dollars more than Ipswich City Pistol Club for no range fee membership, but if I could sight in some of my rifles there as well I'd think it's well worth it. They did say on their website they can let you use the range for any pistol calibre rifles as well. I'll give them a go as a casual user a couple of times to get a feel of the club.

rc42 wrote:The induction is about half a day, depending on numbers, and involves lots of being talked at in a classroom and some hands on training with a 22 semi-auto. Once complete the 6 month probation begins and you need to complete 3 competitions in that time if you want to apply for a Cat H license.
In that 6 months you work up through a competence sheet using club guns, 4 shoots with 22 semi-auto (one can be air pistol) then 4 shoots with revolver and finally 4 shoots with 9mm semi-auto, you have to complete the competency to get club support for your first pistol so you can stop after 4 shoots if you only want an air pistol or 22 semi-auto. It really sucks that you can only do competitions in the first 6 months as that's when practice would be of most use, if you can't find a licensed shooter with Range Office level 2 to supervise you then you have to wait to be licensed and get your own RO level 1 to be allowed to practice alone.

Cheers, very informative! Is that a general requirement here to have done 4 shoots before I can own/use a certain class of pistol or is that a club requirement? I didn't find a lot of information on that. Also is range officer accreditation required to practice with your pistol at the clubs even if you are licensed? Or is that just for when there are no ROs on premise?

JSS wrote:My advice would be to join Shooters Union for your licence requirement, then go around and get a feel for the various pistol clubs, you'll find a lot of difference between how clubs do things along with the attitudes of the clubs and their member because they really do vary a lot. Nothing worse than joining a club only to find you clash with the way they want you to do things and some of their attitudes..

Thanks, probably what I'll do to begin with and I'll join one of the clubs for the membership benefits once I get a feel for them all.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 10:55 am

In order to submit a PTA for a pistol after your 6 month probation and license application you will need a club support form which states that you need that specific pistol to shoot competitions at that club.

It's down to the individual clubs to decide how much experience you need on each pistol type before they will sign off on your PTA so the 12 shoot competency process is just the way Brisbane SSAA have chosen to do it, other clubs will most likely be different but members of those clubs will need to advise, or ask at the club when you're visiting to check them out.

For practice alone you need to take and pass a Range Office basic training session as other shooters will be sharing the range during some practice times, SSAA call that RO level 1. Once passed you get a card and can practice alone at the range whenever it is open. Without that RO level 1 you must be supervised by an RO level 2 or above, even if licensed.

After a year holding RO level 1 you can move to RO level 2 which will allow you to have guests with you that you can supervise, levels above that allow you to be a shoot captain and supervise competitions locally and later at other clubs.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 02 Jun 2020, 12:25 pm

Thanks RC. Do they normally not have a RO sitting at the pistol section supervising? I'd assumed it would be the same as other firing ranges where there'll be a RO sitting in the middle supervising all the shooters. Or is it just for pistols that an RO has to be individually supervising a shooter without RO training?
Cheers for helping by the way, there's not a lot of resources online to learn these stuff.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 02 Jun 2020, 12:58 pm

I've been a member at Hillcrest for about 18 months and its a great club. Sunday comps pre lockdown were just awesome. Great comradery and a really good group of people. Range rules seem to be much more relaxed than those mentioned above for other ranges. I think that's because of the fact that you have automated shooting bays, and don't have people moving forward on the range. Hillcrest is reopening to members only on the 6th June.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Jun 2020, 1:10 pm

The two pistol ranges at SSAA Bris don't have attending ROs like the main bench and standing ranges, except for organized shoot competitions where the shoot captain performs that role.
Licensed members with their own pistols are expected (and required I think) to get their RO level 1 certification so that they can attend for practice and 'play nicely' with other members that are sharing the range. I think the RO level 1 happens very soon after you are licensed.

Cat H unlicensed shooters must have close 1:1 supervision from a licensed person at all times when handling a firearm, as long as Covid social distancing is in place this won't be possible. Members in their 6 month probation are obviously included in this as any A/B license is meaningless.

Licensed Cat H shooters without RO1 can be supervised by an RO2 or above but they would have to find a willing RO2 to join them as they won't be able to book in at the office and go to the range without one.

Again, this isn't legislation so will vary by club.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 03 Jun 2020, 10:34 am

RuinedNoodle wrote:
Rwd22 wrote:I can't recommend Hillcrest Indoor Club highly enough, they're only about 10 mins away from me, missus and I are on a family membership deal so that makes it a fair bit more affordable, range hire is included in the membership.

Hillcrest is pretty close, looks like they are about a hundred dollars more than Ipswich City Pistol Club for no range fee membership, but if I could sight in some of my rifles there as well I'd think it's well worth it. They did say on their website they can let you use the range for any pistol calibre rifles as well. I'll give them a go as a casual user a couple of times to get a feel of the club.

The missus and I have a couple 22lr rifles that we regularly take along for a bit of fun, they run periodic rifle comps too if you're that way inclined.

As Macross stated, compared to what rc mentioned, Hillcrest is alot more relaxed and run regular pistol comps during the week and on Sundays (Pre-lockdown). Extremely friendly environment with a great couple of RO's, the membership is a little more expensive than some clubs, but cheaper than others too.

They have a pretty good collection of club guns available to use, well worth visiting even just to see how you like it. Handy to have a gunshop located in the same building too, couple great guys in there that can help out with bits and pieces you might be chasing.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 03 Jun 2020, 11:05 am

Is Gympie to far for you to drive? Few good clubs up there. Get dressed up as a cowboy and use some 45 single action.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RuinedNoodle » 03 Jun 2020, 11:14 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Is Gympie to far for you to drive? Few good clubs up there. Get dressed up as a cowboy and use some 45 single action.

Gympie's a bit far for me to join as a regular, wouldn't mind the 2 hour drive up for a day trip but I probably won't get the membership since I won't be able to get regular use out of it.
Which club do you recommend there? I could take a look at their website if they have one.
RuinedNoodle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 03 Jun 2020, 12:42 pm

Wattle Grove is the best range in QLD as far as I am concerned mate and if I could only recommend one range for a day trip to check out once it would be that. It is a small outdoor setting on a farm. They are not interested in making bulk profit they are interest in providing a good product to the community so they have a good atmosphere. You can shoot pistols, shotguns, rifles and even get yourself a big 338 lapua as they are one of a handful of ranges in the state that allow 338 lapua. Being a country setting you will find there are less rules than the SSAA city clubs. Keep your firearm holstered or in a bag until on the firing line and keep the barrel pointed down range. Just your basic common sense rules nothing over the top.

http://www.wattlegrovepark.com.au/
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Medb » 26 Aug 2020, 12:25 am

I'm also currently investigating the various pistol clubs in Brisbane, I live 15 mins from Belmont so I am focusing mainly on the clubs located in that area. I'm also unsure on what discipline(s) I want to focus on. There is a few I am interested in, and I know the types of pistols I would like to eventually purchase so that narrows it down somewhat, but I would like to be able to try a bunch of different ones during my probationary period, both the standard target oriented and precision stuff, as well as some of the more dynamic styles like IPSC & service. I would definitely choose a 9mm autoloader as my first pistol, which would enable me to shoot a bunch of different disciplines, and down the line would like to get a .45 which I believe is only used in Metallic Silhouette.

Rc42 your posts were very informative about SSAA and what the various processes and steps are for progressing as a member in that club, I also shoot at the rifle section as SSAA occasionally so I have a reasonable idea of what the atmosphere and attitudes around the club are.

I have recently gone on a tour of the City of Brisbane Pistol Club, and spent a while chatting to the people who run it, and asking questions about the various aspects I wanted to know about the club and how it's run. I'm unsure on whether this would be the correct club for me as the club was focused almost entirely on IPSC and offered very little else. Now I am interested in IPSC myself, but I'm also interested in various other disciplines so perhaps one of the other clubs will be better suited to me.

Metropolitan Pistol club seems to be the other major pistol club in the area, and going off the various information I was able to gleam from their website and social media seems like it might be a good fit for me. I haven't contacted them yet but will be shortly, but I would be very interested in hearing from any members who shoot at that club and what their impressions of it are. Some of the key areas that sound promising to me are the large amount of disciplines they seem to cater for (based purely on their website), also the fact that they allow rifles up to .223 caliber as well as pistol caliber carbines to be used on some of the ranges means I could get some extra use out of their facilities.

I think I would prefer to join one of the clubs rather than going the shooters union route, I just want to make sure I choose the right one first up :friends:
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 26 Aug 2020, 8:53 am

SSAA still haven't restarted pistol competitions which sucks, practice sessions by yourself for nearly two hours can start to get boring and tiring. Also expensive when you burn through nearly a thousand rounds in a session, at least I'm using 22LR rather than the bigger (more fun) calibers. Having to wait a full year before getting another pistol also sucks, I guess it's just another way to try to discourage shooting sports but I think the 22LR was the best choice for me just from ammo costs.

I was also thinking about CoB and Metropolitan so their differences are interesting to read, their facilities look similar from their websites but Metropolitan does look slightly bigger, They don't publish their member fees so that would be interesting to know, as well as anyone's thoughts comparing the two.

It's a long road to cat H licensing in QLD, after choosing the club and going through induction there's 6 months of probation with close supervision whilst shooting (which gets irritating) then 6 months of license application wait through during which the close supervision continues. It's worth the effort but I never want to go through that process again.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by johnboy357 » 31 Aug 2020, 6:33 pm

RuinedNoodle- I would forget Shooters Union -

Metro Club has a very good training program for new members/ shooters. I think it is a series of 7 "lessons" over, I think, 7weeks - first up and you get a comprehensive safety briefing and a run down on the Club rules. In the following sessions you get instructions in the use of a a range of pistols - air, rim fire and centre fire during your training. Contact the club for further details regarding fees etc.They also have a "working bee levee:" where you can work off some of the following years fees.
You should be able to organize a look around the ranges and see various disciplines in action - just ring before you turn up. Earmuffs and safety glasses would be a good idea if you go for a look. Have a look on the club website at the calendar and then check out the different discipline links - there are photos and some videos of the different disciplines. Try U tube as well for videos of different disciplines so you get some idea of the direction you may wish to follow after you become a member.
At Metro you also have the option of affiliating to Pistol Shooting Queensland [ an extra $100 thereabouts] P.S.Q. have affiliated clubs all over the state and these clubs hold regular open competitions and state championships in many of the disciplines [at least they did pre covid] and if you are an affiliated member you can enter any of these comps. You can also enter the same types of comps all around Australia - when the borders open up again Ha Ha
All up a Great Club !!
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 01 Sep 2020, 7:03 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Wattle Grove is the best range in QLD as far as I am concerned mate and if I could only recommend one range for a day trip to check out once it would be that. It is a small outdoor setting on a farm. They are not interested in making bulk profit they are interest in providing a good product to the community so they have a good atmosphere. You can shoot pistols, shotguns, rifles and even get yourself a big 338 lapua as they are one of a handful of ranges in the state that allow 338 lapua. Being a country setting you will find there are less rules than the SSAA city clubs. Keep your firearm holstered or in a bag until on the firing line and keep the barrel pointed down range. Just your basic common sense rules nothing over the top.

http://www.wattlegrovepark.com.au/

What is the road like to get there?

I think I read somewhere (google reviews perhaps) that it is fairly ordinary with the last 20km or so being dirt road. Can it be done in car?
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Medb » 01 Sep 2020, 9:24 pm

Thanks Johnboy357 for the info regarding Metro.

I did contact them and they gave me a few days and times they said were convenient to come and have a look and chat.

Also why do you suggest not going the Shooters Union route? Despite what I initially said I have been weighing up the idea of using the Shooters Union method while obtaining my license due to the easier to meet requirements & lower financial cost, and then transferring to one of the clubs after obtaining my license when I can finally make proper use of the membership costs.

Also been looking at QMRC since they are on the clubs you can visit while using the Shooters Union method.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by johnboy357 » 02 Sep 2020, 7:57 pm

Medb
The Shooters Union might seem cheap to start with but all you get is the paperwork - you still have to find a club to do your initial shoots before you can apply for a license. No Club that I know of will let you shoot on a Form 33, using club guns, to get your initial shoots so that SU will give you the paperwork to get a license. Why should they let you use their facilities and equipment when you don't belong. Many clubs are wary of SU people because, although they might have a license, they more than likely have the absolute minimum of shooting experience, and most likely very little safety training. If you want to join a "proper" club with only an SU background then I would expect the club would still require you to complete their training program before allowing you to join. And remember that just because you have a license does not mean a Club has to accept you as a member.
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Sep 2020, 11:12 pm

That sounds fair regarding the SU pistol club, I am a member of Brisbane SSAA (every pistol event but none taken too seriously) and Brisbane International Pistol Club (only ISSF pistol events with strict rules onto electronic targets) and neither will provide club firearms to form 33 non-members except at specific 'come and try' events which wouldn't be signed off as competitions.

I think SU membership is only an option for those that are already licensed and want the lowest cost method to keep that license and their pistol by entering the minimum possible number of competitions each year and paying extra for each range visit.

These are the people least dedicated to the sport who just want to own a handgun. I'd suggest joining a club with lots of events, shoot a lot (I completed 28 competitions in my 6 month probation at SSAA) and get really involved in the sport. Club annual range fees are high but it works out cheap per shoot if you make the most of the opportunities to shoot. If money is a real issue then unfortunately this isn't the sport for you, especially as ammo prices go up.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Medb » 03 Sep 2020, 3:25 am

I did query Shooters union regarding completing shoots while unlicensed. They replied that they have arrangements with several clubs which will accommodate you as a visitor and provide you a firearm, ammo, and supervision and allow you to shoot on a 33a to complete your required shoots. The specific clubs are QMRC at Belmont, Rothwell pistol club at Redcliffe, and Hillcrest indoor pistol club.

I'm aware that transferring to a "proper" club after obtaining your license you'd still have to undergo at minimum the club "induction" and also possibly some or all of the clubs training program for new members, as well as do the Range Operators course, but the specific requirements vary from club to club.

I wouldn't describe myself as someone only looking to do the minimum amount of required shoots just so I could own a pistol, but realistically I'd be looking at doing around 1-2 comps a month, plus another 1-2 practice sessions per month. I have no issue with the financial costs involved, admittedly i'm just considering if it's worth taking the "lazy route" with the minimum amount of effort required while unlicensed, and then really beginning to get involved when the card arrives in the mail and you can get your own firearm after the nearly year long overall process ends.

rc42 wrote:It's a long road to cat H licensing in QLD, after choosing the club and going through induction there's 6 months of probation with close supervision whilst shooting (which gets irritating) then 6 months of license application wait through during which the close supervision continues. It's worth the effort but I never want to go through that process again.

This basically sums up my general feelings regarding the process, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, I'm just trying to find the route that will work best for me and what I want to get out of it during the year long process.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 05 Sep 2020, 6:31 am

I'm at Merto and couldn't recommend them enough. I live in the northside and drive over the gateway to attend. I think the extra cost is worth it for the facility and atmosphere at Metro. They have quite a few disciplines from ISSF ( one handed 25m ) and Metallic Silhouette (knocking over steel animals out to 100m with 44 magnums) to steel challenge, services and IPSC. They also shoot shotgun.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by rc42 » 05 Sep 2020, 3:13 pm

yoshie wrote:I'm at Merto and couldn't recommend them enough.....

What are the joining and annual fees like at Metropolitan?

I'm thinking about joining another club but need to check through competition calendars to see how many I would really be able to attend and comparing that with the additional cost. Metropolitan seems slightly bigger with more shoots than CoB, is that also your impression?
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 05 Sep 2020, 3:31 pm

Around $320 per year but if you do a working bee it knocks off $50, you can do upto 4 per year. I don't remember a joining fee. The club has a good new members section/program. Club guns for new members and ammo for sale. I've heard new member complain that the course is too rigorous and takes too long but seeing how competent they are after a year compared to licenced shooters who transfer across from other clubs, i think its a good thing. There are also coaches if you want to get serious and compete at high level. Ive never been a member at CoB but their main interest is IPSC. Metro is more rounded. Metro also has an indoor air pistol range.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by rc42 » 09 Nov 2020, 12:11 pm

Just a few updates about Metropolitan and City of Brisbane pistol clubs.

I've heard that CoB is moving its focus to IPSC and steel challenge and the club loan rimfire and air pistols have been sold off, if that's your only interest then the club may be a better choice.

Metro is still covering all disciplines, and even allows pistol caliber rifles on the 100m range, joining fees are $50 for application and induction and about $320 per year membership. New members have to attend a 7 stage training program costing $6 per session, the 7 stages have to be completed in order and are only provided once or twice per month each, however, they aren't scheduled in order so would probably take 2-3 months to get through. Licensed new members can opt to skip 5 of those so should be able to complete the training in one month and get their access cards.

If your interest is metallic silhouette out to 100m then Metro is one of the best clubs in Queensland.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers