Accessible Pistol club/range in Melbourne

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Accessible Pistol club/range in Melbourne

Post by Dabi » 07 Jun 2020, 9:19 pm

Hey guys I'm just wondering whats the quickest/most efficient way acquire handgun license here in Melbourne, I've checked out SSPC but they seem to have a bothersome process including quite a bit of spending in order to get ones license. Is there another recommendation for a chill pistol club here in melb? Any suggestions helps!
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Accessible Pistol club/range in Melbourne

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Jun 2020, 10:23 pm

G'day Dabi,
Getting a handgun licence in Victoria is a slow and involved process that will inevitably cost some money. Why do you want one? What type of competition do you want to participate in? If you think you might like to compete at the Olympics you will need to join a VAPA club, if you want to shoot IPSC or Metallic or perhaps single action you should check out the SSAA website and read the various info from those types of club. The process to join SSPC is really no different to any club and most of the process is a legal requirement by the Police. I'm not familiar with their costs but I doubt they are to far from normal, my own club would cost about $400 initially, from scratch but that includes SSAA membership, our Rifle Club membership then our pistol Club and Govt minimums for fingerprinting etc, but annual cost would only be $105 plus your SSAA. I know some clubs that exceed $600 annual membership, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jun 2020, 4:38 am

Know - you cannot legally use a hand gun anywhere BUT a licensed range...so, Target/competitive shooting is your only option.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 08 Jun 2020, 7:09 am

"they seem to have a bothersome process" Thats Australian gun laws in general mate, where have you been for the last 25 years?

The only way around joining a club to get a handgun licence is if you work in security, a primary producer can get them and feral pest controllers can get them.

Your only other option of obtaining handguns is a collectors licence if you are interested in the study, collection and preservation of handguns. You can only shoot handguns on a collectors licence at accredited events which happen maybe twice a year. You are not limited to caliber restrictions, magazine limits or compulsory shoots on a collectors licence though.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Dabi » 09 Jun 2020, 10:00 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Dabi,
Getting a handgun licence in Victoria is a slow and involved process that will inevitably cost some money. Why do you want one? What type of competition do you want to participate in? If you think you might like to compete at the Olympics you will need to join a VAPA club, if you want to shoot IPSC or Metallic or perhaps single action you should check out the SSAA website and read the various info from those types of club. The process to join SSPC is really no different to any club and most of the process is a legal requirement by the Police. I'm not familiar with their costs but I doubt they are to far from normal, my own club would cost about $400 initially, from scratch but that includes SSAA membership, our Rifle Club membership then our pistol Club and Govt minimums for fingerprinting etc, but annual cost would only be $105 plus your SSAA. I know some clubs that exceed $600 annual membership, Cheers.

Thanks No1Mk3 I'm quite straight forward with my reasoning and just want one because I want one :D , definitely plan to shoot it and ranges are fine. Looks like the SSPC is an ok choice then since I'm already a member of SSAA.
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Dabi » 09 Jun 2020, 10:02 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:"they seem to have a bothersome process" Thats Australian gun laws in general mate, where have you been for the last 25 years?

The only way around joining a club to get a handgun licence is if you work in security, a primary producer can get them and feral pest controllers can get them.

Your only other option of obtaining handguns is a collectors licence if you are interested in the study, collection and preservation of handguns. You can only shoot handguns on a collectors licence at accredited events which happen maybe twice a year. You are not limited to caliber restrictions, magazine limits or compulsory shoots on a collectors licence though.

Really just the harder to get guns, A/B is quite easy to get everything else not so much, with handgun being easier or harder depending on the club you join.
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 13 Jun 2020, 7:56 pm

If you don't have the time then don't get a handgun licence because it is a serious commitment to get and maintain your licence. They have purposely legislated it so the process is difficult and confusing so only the people who genuinely want to compete in the sport will jump through all the hoops. No matter where you go you are looking at a whole year to become fully licenced.
Anyone who's wondering you need to do
- an introductory shoot
- at least five supervised shots with multiple calibers
- become competent and safe enough for an RO to sign you off
- safety course
- apply for your provisional licence which will take at least a month to process
- shoot as a provisional shooter for at least six months
- become even more proficient and have the RO sign you off again
- complete an accuracy test which you need to compete with 100% of your shots hitting the target
- apply for your full licence which will be about another month
Then after all that you need to shoot at least six times a year or more depending on how many firearms you have.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Dabi » 13 Jun 2020, 10:55 pm

Thanks linkoin, I'm fully prepared for commitment just want to find a fast way to get there so I start shooting my own pistols.
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by womble » 14 Jun 2020, 6:00 am

Other than what’s allready mentioned what the hell do you want.
Someone to read this and sell you one illegally.
Yeah, that could happen. And guess who sells you one. Federal cop.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 Jun 2020, 7:36 am

linkoln wrote:If you don't have the time then don't get a handgun licence because it is a serious commitment to get and maintain your licence. They have purposely legislated it so the process is difficult and confusing so only the people who genuinely want to compete in the sport will jump through all the hoops. No matter where you go you are looking at a whole year to become fully licenced.
Anyone who's wondering you need to do
- an introductory shoot
- at least five supervised shots with multiple calibers
- become competent and safe enough for an RO to sign you off
- safety course
- apply for your provisional licence which will take at least a month to process
- shoot as a provisional shooter for at least six months
- become even more proficient and have the RO sign you off again
- complete an accuracy test which you need to compete with 100% of your shots hitting the target
- apply for your full licence which will be about another month
Then after all that you need to shoot at least six times a year or more depending on how many firearms you have.

What state is this? QLD you just join a club or even shooters union pistol section. Do the safety course, do 3 competition shoots in a 6 month period then apply for licence and a PTA if you wish after the 6 month period. You cant shoot over a 38/9mm at the start. This is probably an SSAA crappy range rule.
Last edited by AussieCapitalist on 14 Jun 2020, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 Jun 2020, 7:39 am

Dabi wrote:Thanks linkoin, I'm fully prepared for commitment just want to find a fast way to get there so I start shooting my own pistols.

Australia has no fast way for anything. Do you remember 1996 and then 2002? Join a club or apply for a post 1947 collectors licence if you have a genuine interest in the study, preservation and collection of modern handguns. . The longer you wait the longer it will take.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 14 Jun 2020, 2:52 pm

I was thinking of getting back into pistol shooting and it sounds like the process has not changed much since I handed all mine back in 02. From memory it cost about $600 all up. I got out of the sport as the requirements to shoot once a month for each and every different type of pistol would have cost a small fortune. At the time we were told you would have to attend and shoot once a month for each calibre. That meant 4 shoots a month for me and at the time I was heavily into clay target shooting and still enjoy it today so I had to make a choice. I lost about $400 after handing them all in and I still miss my S&W 686 357 magnum. If I get back into it a S&W 357 is all I want.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 15 Jun 2020, 12:39 pm

Mattraff wrote:I was thinking of getting back into pistol shooting and it sounds like the process has not changed much since I handed all mine back in 02. From memory it cost about $600 all up. I got out of the sport as the requirements to shoot once a month for each and every different type of pistol would have cost a small fortune. At the time we were told you would have to attend and shoot once a month for each calibre. That meant 4 shoots a month for me and at the time I was heavily into clay target shooting and still enjoy it today so I had to make a choice. I lost about $400 after handing them all in and I still miss my S&W 686 357 magnum. If I get back into it a S&W 357 is all I want.

Handed them back to whom, did someone else buy them for you? Or do you mean under extreme duress and the threat of imprisonment you relinquished ownership of your own property?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jun 2020, 1:23 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:
Mattraff wrote:I was thinking of getting back into pistol shooting and it sounds like the process has not changed much since I handed all mine back in 02. From memory it cost about $600 all up. I got out of the sport as the requirements to shoot once a month for each and every different type of pistol would have cost a small fortune. At the time we were told you would have to attend and shoot once a month for each calibre. That meant 4 shoots a month for me and at the time I was heavily into clay target shooting and still enjoy it today so I had to make a choice. I lost about $400 after handing them all in and I still miss my S&W 686 357 magnum. If I get back into it a S&W 357 is all I want.

Handed them back to whom, did someone else buy them for you? Or do you mean under extreme duress and the threat of imprisonment you relinquished ownership of your own property?

He is referring to the '03 buyback, I sold my handgun to the government at the time as well, and got more back than I paid for it new in 1990. The deal came with a statement that you would not apply for a handgun licence again within five years.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 15 Jun 2020, 1:31 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:What state is this? QLD you just join a club or even shooters union pistol section. Do the safety course, do 3 competition shoots in a 6 month period then apply for licence and a PTA if you wish after the 6 month period. You cant shoot over a 38/9mm at the start. This is probably an SSAA crappy range rule.

QLD sounds like the place to be if you want the most gun rights but this is in VIC so there are a lot more hoops to jump through. In vic if you qualify on a .38 revolver then you can't shoot a semi auto only. 38 revolver and below. You need to qualify with 9mm to shoot any revolver or semi auto but then have to be a member of the club for a year and get a good average score over that time before they will sign you off for a .45
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by AussieCapitalist » 15 Jun 2020, 1:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:

He is referring to the '03 buyback, I sold my handgun to the government at the time as well, and got more back than I paid for it new in 1990. The deal came with a statement that you would not apply for a handgun licence again within five years.

I know mate I am just having a friendly dig at the turn of phrase. :sarcasm:

I am not a rich man but money can never buy my principles. I do not negotiate with blackmail.
Last edited by AussieCapitalist on 15 Jun 2020, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 15 Jun 2020, 1:53 pm

linkoln wrote:
QLD sounds like the place to be if you want the most gun rights but this is in VIC so there are a lot more hoops to jump through. In vic if you qualify on a .38 revolver then you can't shoot a semi auto only. 38 revolver and below. You need to qualify with 9mm to shoot any revolver or semi auto but then have to be a member of the club for a year and get a good average score over that time before they will sign you off for a .45

That sounds full on mate. In QLD you are limited to one centrefire handgun in the first year of holding a licence but after that can buy more and you can use upto 45 calibre in metallic silhouette or s single action competitions. You dont need to be a good shot up here to get to use 45calibre. The only stupid thing about QLD is the law that you must remove the bolt or break the action to store the firearm.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jun 2020, 1:54 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:I know mate I am just having a friendly dig at the turn of phrase. :sarcasm:

I am not a rich man but money can never buy my principles. I do not negotiate with blackmail.

I found at the time I wasn't as interested in IPSC due to longterm illness, and could put the money to better use.
Last edited by bladeracer on 15 Jun 2020, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Jun 2020, 1:55 pm

G'day linkoln,
That may be a requirement of your club but it is not the same at all clubs nor law here in Vic. There is no qualification test for different calibres, indeed for ANY calibre, within each regulated class according to law. If you purchase a 9mm auto, then when the law allows the new licencee to expand he is perfectly able to purchase and use any other calibre within Class 3 without affecting his mandatory 10 attendances. At my club, once you have leapt through the fire rings of bureaucratic BS you can buy any calibre legal for you to own within the 4 regulated Classes. Cheers.
PS: AusssieCapitalist, no, it is not "an SSAA crappy range rule", it is called the LAW.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 15 Jun 2020, 4:06 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day linkoln,
That may be a requirement of your club but it is not the same at all clubs nor law here in Vic. There is no qualification test for different calibres, indeed for ANY calibre, within each regulated class according to law. If you purchase a 9mm auto, then when the law allows the new licencee to expand he is perfectly able to purchase and use any other calibre within Class 3 without affecting his mandatory 10 attendances. At my club, once you have leapt through the fire rings of bureaucratic BS you can buy any calibre legal for you to own within the 4 regulated Classes. Cheers.
PS: AusssieCapitalist, no, it is not "an SSAA crappy range rule", it is called the LAW.

You are probably right, I know the having to be a club member for a year to purchase a .45 is a club rule but there are so many laws you just do what your club says and eventually if you wait long enough you can have what you want.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by cflake » 21 Jun 2020, 11:13 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day linkoln,

Yeah people seem to be confusing the law with the club rules. I'm a member of 3 pistol clubs in Melbourne and each have their own rules/process.

SSPC is probably the most 'accessible' to be honest, but it's popular - 800+ members I think now - and trying to get in to have a shoot without waiting out the front of the range for an hour is difficult sometimes and almost impossible in late Nov or all of December, even before covid. After covid there's a booking system that gets filled for the month in the first 48 hours after being allowed to book and most popular 1 hour slots have a waitlist of 5+ people.

Speaking of covid, I don't think any clubs are running safety courses at the moment and even if they did I heard that LRD aren't processing new license applications right now.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers