Lefty 50M service insanity

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Lefty 50M service insanity

Post by Tubs » 14 Jun 2020, 10:43 pm

Hey all.

After my apprenticeship in 22's I have found my calling in service matches, making the gradual transition from shooting purely from a bench to mobile/holstered. Almost like learning to shoot all over again.

I've been experimenting with various toys, I am a lefty so an ambi safety/no safety and ambi slidestop is good stuff. Still trying to decide on the best toy for service matches.

What semi's do most people use for 50M service ?
Would a Glock 34 be materially more accurate than a Glock 17 at longer distances?
Would a Shadow 1 more accurate/faster shooting than a Glock 34?
Do people think Glock leg is a sufficient enough risk to convince them away from strikers when shooting holstered matches?

My Grandpower started choking up a bit, is an extremely accurate but somewhat fussy beast. I have lost points due to jams/FTE's/stovepipes - you name it. Using the same ammo my G17 hasn't skipped a beat once. Unfortunately I cant hit a barn door @ 50 with the G17 with factory sights.

Everyone at the club keeps smashing me with the buy a Shadow - BUT if they require as much fine tuning as my X Cal I think it might be easier to just sell everything and buy a second hand G34? Its ambi, cheap, accurate and eats anything right?

What does everyone think?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Lefty 50M service insanity

Post by JSS » 16 Jun 2020, 7:35 am

Personally i'd listen to them and go a shadow 2. I'm a lefty and all i did was swap the mag release over, the slide release is easy to use with your pointer finger because it's very easy/smooth to operate.
As far as needing to fine tune them, who told you that? The fine tuning process for Shadows goes like this...Buy it, clean it, lube it, load it, shoot it. They are one of the BEST out of the box guns in their price range.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 16 Jun 2020, 8:19 pm

Used to use a semi for 50m service, but have changed and am sticking to a S&W model 10. Semi's, in my book were too finicky for that match at that distance.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 16 Jun 2020, 9:48 pm

Shadow over a glock everyday of the week.

For service matches have you considered revolvers??
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 16 Jun 2020, 9:53 pm

Shadow 2 out of the box i went from shooting average to a heap better without any mods or anything.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 16 Jun 2020, 9:58 pm

Thanks chaps. Some of the guys use long slide 19/2011's - but these are double the cost of a Shadow 2.

I think the Shadow 2 is the way to go - will check them out. Is there a big difference between the TS/ Shadow Orange, Shadow 2 etc? Also, would be Shadow 1 be as accurate at longer distances?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 17 Jun 2020, 9:09 am

Having used the sp1 and 2 i like the 2 better myself. The only orange i've used is a mates one and he went nuts and had it slicked up even more that they already are so i can't give an honest opinion on a std orange.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 17 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm

Dealers want arms and legs for Shadow 2's, have picked up a 01 orange pretty cheap. Ill report back if it outshoots my Grand power X Cal.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers