Wife joining IPSC - Optic Ready Pistol options

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Wife joining IPSC - Optic Ready Pistol options

Post by Macross » 23 Jun 2020, 9:18 am

My wife is tentatively looking at starting to come to IPSC with me. She will need a new pistol and has her heart set on a red dot. Looking around at options and not wanting to fork out a huge amount on a pistol and optic as she will only be coming now and then. I had thought the CZ P-10 might be an option but not seeing many around let alone the optic ready model.

Wondering if there may be an option that im not aware of yet... Any suggestions appreciated.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Wife joining IPSC - Optic Ready Pistol options

Post by Rwd22 » 23 Jun 2020, 10:45 am

I was considering a few options recently, but yet to put my hands on most of them. Few that spring to mind at the moment.

Smith and Wesson M&P (This is one I'm particularly interested in)
Glock 17A, 19 and 34
Walther Q5
Sig P320
Shadow 2? Haha.

From memory there is quite a few adaptors for adding optics to non-slide cut pistols(Depending on the rear sight config), but you're raising the optic higher than it would be on a milled slide, not ideal but certainly a work-around.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 23 Jun 2020, 11:41 am

Yes I'm keen to get my hands on the M&P 2.0 C.O.R.E to check it out. Trigger apparently is not that great and reviews talk about it not having a good reset. Would love to shoot one to see for myself.

Im not impressed with the PPQ Q5. We shot one at the club on Sunday and didn't do anything for us... although the trigger was not too bad.

Glock.... hmmm... im gonna take a closer look... never really been a fan but may be an option.
I was hoping to not have to go down the path of drifting out the rear site for a mounting plate. As you say, it really does make the optic ride high. But may end up being the better option.

Funnily enough, I had thought about letting her shoot my Shadow 2 and getting something else for me. Would be hard to hand over my precious though!! :)
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 23 Jun 2020, 2:22 pm

Good luck on the search haha, DWX should be available soon, might warrant letting go of the Shadow 2 to the better half?

I think Jerry Miculek was using the M&P Core Pro Series, not sure how tweaked it was though. I'd like to get my hands on one of the Sig P226 or P320/M17 to try out.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 05 Jul 2020, 3:51 pm

I had been looking at the Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS. Saw a new one at the range shop yesterday and grabbed it. Our guy there did us a good deal and looked after us. Gonna copy you guys and PTA it to the club as we have about 12 or so weeks till we can put a second pistol PTA in our name.

The glock trigger isnt terrible....Its no Shadow 2...but i think with a bit of work it will be ok for the Mrs to have a dabble at IPSC. Apparently the MOS versions are a bit better than the vanilla glocks... but not sure how much different it really is. Just have to find a good dot for it now.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 06 Jul 2020, 9:19 am

That's awesome mate, spotted you guys at the range office desk, figured you got something sorted out.

Least the missus can get out there and give you a run for your money now, haha.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kimbocv8 » 09 Jul 2020, 10:33 am

Just be wary that The Glock 34 with a red dot will put her into Open division with all the big boys and their toys.
The Glock 34 is a Standard division gun out of the box so with an optic the only place for it unfortunately is Open.
For other Production Optic options the Sig P320RX is a striker fired Glock equivalent with a factory red dot co-witnessed with the iron sights - means if the dot fails you can still use the iron sights to hit targets. Alternatively, you could go a P320 X5 and then throw a dot onto it.
Kimbocv8
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Macross » 09 Jul 2020, 3:40 pm

I thought it would make it Production Optics... Our club has production optics division. Only half a dozen of us in it. After looking at the official ipsc.org rules, it looks like the Glock 34 is on the NOT APPROVED list :( 135mm barrel is 8mm too long!!!

**Edit** Just told my wife that the glock we just bought her isnt allowed on the IPSC list... her response ..."Thats a good reason to buy another gun hey!!". She's a keeper :D
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kimbocv8 » 24 Jul 2020, 1:05 pm

Well now she's in Open, it's time you got yourself a fancy new Open gun then i say :D
Kimbocv8
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers