Re: pistols?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: pistols?

Post by id29ohmj@gmail.com » 12 Jul 2020, 8:41 am

HI Guys looking for a new pistol and noticed that some like Taurus, Uberti, and Alfa are in the cheaper range. Can these pistol shoot straight or not. I'm not trying to get to the Olympics but would like to hit what I'm aiming at or should I stay with better brands like S & W, or Ruger
id29ohmj@gmail.com
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Re: pistols?

Post by rc42 » 12 Jul 2020, 9:35 am

All pistols can shoot straighter than the people holding them, the more expensive ones generally look better, feel nicer in the hand, work more smoothly and are less prone to malfunction even with budget ammunition.

Even the much hated Hi-Point pistols in the US work reliably and with good accuracy which seems to make them hated even more by some.

I would suggest visiting a gun store and holding different pistols, hold it out and look down the sights, work the action but don't dry fire unless they say it's OK. You should be able to work out which ones are for you but will probably have to compromise quality with price.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 12 Jul 2020, 11:42 am

If budget is a factor, dont be scared to consider a high end brand second hand. . I own a glock 34 and a Smith&Wesson 686, both secobd hand, both go bang every time and both hit what I point at... Like you, I dont want to win at the olympics, but every now and then I'll win a club match with a second hand gun ..

Its been interesting to note though, at least at my club, that a lot of the high dollar guns with upgrades and race triggers and supercharged ejecrion ports spend more time misfeeding or malfunctioning during a match than the simple units. .
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jul 2020, 1:11 pm

Don't discount a handgun because of price, as rc42 said all of them will shoot better than the shooter, but how they feel is a real factor and the quality of the build will have an effect on the shooters accuracy such as trigger creep and break, etc. As a case in point I have a CZ75 with which I can score quite well (bought 2nd hand 20 years ago) as well as the Chinese copy of the CZ 85, called NZ85. I can score just as well with the NZ but I need to focus a bit more to ignore the creepy, gritty trigger. The gun has never malfunctioned with factory ammo and only did on reloads because I stuffed up, not the gun. A Taurus will give good service, but if you do need parts they are hard to come by whereas the S&W is very well supported with spares which is the only reason I would choose a Smith over a Taurus. (I own several of both, by the way) Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Macross » 12 Jul 2020, 4:52 pm

I like Hickok45's take on accuracy. It changed my ideas about pistols and may be worth a watch....
https://youtu.be/UVzSAm5VhfE
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 12 Jul 2020, 8:45 pm

The only pistols I currently own that are new are a Ruger Charger & a Ruger Single Six Talo Dealer Special. Thou to be honest, the Single Six was picked up second hand, unfired, for $500 under new price, so technically new. The rest are all 2nd hand and function well or better.
One brands you listed, I own, Taurus. A Tracker 6.5" 7shot 357mag stainless. It shoots very well, capable of keeping 7 within a 2" circle at 20m if I do my job right. The only hiccup with these revolvers is a propensity to misfire 1 or 2 rds every cyclinder of 7. I found this is due to a light hammer strike when fired in double action. The hammer doesn't come back as far as it does when set in single action. Ergo the hammer doesn't hit as hard.
I've tried softer primers and fiddling with the springs etc, no go. It's a known issue with these revolvers. That said, it isn't a show stopper and can be easily fixed by a competent 'smith. I'm not terribly bothered with it as I've got a S&W 686-3 6" that I can use in comps where double action is needed. The Taurus will see more work on the silhouette range where single action shoots are mandatory.
Don't be put off by the lower standard products, they'll give you a cost effective start in the sport. Add you get better and more involved/interested then you can look at upgrading to something of a better quality.
Also regards 2nd hand, research the make & model, know the weaknesses and what to look for in a worn gun. Check it over thoroughly before outlying your cash. Better still, get someone who knows to go with you when you check the gun out.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 13 Jul 2020, 10:31 am

gunnie some of the guys that run comp with revolver change the springs out so they can shoot faster but light strikes will be had if they go to light look into wolf springs and try to go back to factory specs.
its one reason i have never changed mine out i keep them at factory spec.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gunnnie » 14 Jul 2020, 5:21 am

wrenchman wrote:gunnie some of the guys that run comp with revolver change the springs out so they can shoot faster but light strikes will be had if they go to light look into wolf springs and try to go back to factory specs.
its one reason i have never changed mine out i keep them at factory spec.

Nothing has been changed on the Taurus, it's all original. It's purely a design fault as it was explained to me by a pistol smith. It can be resolved by judiciously removing metal at the right spots and changing/modifying springs. But for the cost to do this, I'll leave it as is and just shoot it in single action mode.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers