New Magazines

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

New Magazines

Post by Rider888 » 16 Jul 2020, 9:03 am

Is it normal for new magazines to have stiff springs? So much so that after round 8, it is quiet difficult to get rounds 9 and 10 into the mag?

I have had my Glock for 2 years now and loading the magazines haven't gotten easier. Having said that, I have only used my Glock about 6 times at most.

Will keeping my mag loaded with 9 or even 10 rounds for a couple of weeks help with this? I have read several opinions and it seems to be split, some say it will and others say it wont.

Have not tried using a speed loader. I dont own one. Have just been loading mags by hand

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: New Magazines

Post by BadShot » 16 Jul 2020, 9:19 am

I don't own Glock so can't speak to those mags, I think its to do with how the mags are limited to 10 rounds, my HK mags are double stack and seem to take 10 easily, my Sig mags have a groove down both sides making them single stack, the 10th round is a nightmare to get in even with a Maglula loader(I recommend those, best $60 you'll spend) I don't feel it getting any easier so doubt its the spring. Springs are springs, unless you stretch them beyond their elastic limit they just keep on springing..
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 16 Jul 2020, 9:26 am

Yes I have read that the Glock Mags, being single stacked, are harder to load than most double stacked mags. Will try get some double stacked Mags from the US
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BadShot » 16 Jul 2020, 10:30 am

Don't know how you feel about Magpul, these look like Double Stack 10's
https://www.adelaidegunshop.com.au/fire ... -49-95-521
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 16 Jul 2020, 10:34 am

BadShot wrote:Don't know how you feel about Magpul, these look like Double Stack 10's

They look single stacked to me
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jul 2020, 10:57 am

Try loading one of the Glock 33 rounders here in the USA. Pretty much once you start getting past 20 rounds it becomes a workout for your thumbs. Even some mags with a nice double stack feed like an Uzi, you have to use the jump method of putting pressure on the round at the feed lips and then you give the mag a slap on a flat surface and it will jump in.

Best thing I can recommend if you load mags all the time and don't want the hassle is get a Mag Lula loader. So far I have had good luck with them
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by BadShot » 16 Jul 2020, 11:32 am

Rider888 wrote:
BadShot wrote:Don't know how you feel about Magpul, these look like Double Stack 10's

They look single stacked to me

From Site:
---
Utilizes the same double stack feed geometry as the standard capacity PMAG GL9 to ensure feeding and to avoid known reliability issues seen in many competitor products on the market
---

Whatever that means.
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 16 Jul 2020, 12:22 pm

Yep I found the Glock mags were always stiff at the end. For me round 14 and 15 was a challenge. (15 round mag obviously.)
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chinballs » 16 Jul 2020, 12:40 pm

Rider888 wrote:Will keeping my mag loaded with 9 or even 10 rounds for a couple of weeks help with this? I have read several opinions and it seems to be split, some say it will and others say it wont.

Have not tried using a speed loader. I dont own one. Have just been loading mags by hand
Cheers

Keeping your mags loaded for eternity won't make a difference. Springs wear out by repeated compression and expansion so the only way to soften them up is load and unload them a heap of times. Good excuse to shoot more often :D

Best investment I ever made was an UpLULA magazine loader. I bought it after my first two day IPSC match where loading new Glock mags tore my soft little thumb up. It is about $50 but fits pretty much every centerfire mag and makes a range day a lot more enjoyable.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 16 Jul 2020, 1:21 pm

duddley75 wrote:Yep I found the Glock mags were always stiff at the end. For me round 14 and 15 was a challenge. (15 round mag obviously.)

How are you able to have 15 round magazine for a pistol here in NSW.? The maximum content is 10 and anything more needs to have a special permit that is mainly issued for those in need of such item for employment etc. Just curious.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 16 Jul 2020, 1:36 pm

I just bought a speed loader zero effort
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 16 Jul 2020, 1:57 pm

Bugman wrote:
duddley75 wrote:Yep I found the Glock mags were always stiff at the end. For me round 14 and 15 was a challenge. (15 round mag obviously.)

How are you able to have 15 round magazine for a pistol here in NSW.? The maximum content is 10 and anything more needs to have a special permit that is mainly issued for those in need of such item for employment etc. Just curious.

Previous employment
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by snag » 16 Jul 2020, 6:48 pm

Get a Lulu. $60, problem solved.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 16 Jul 2020, 7:02 pm

Glock mags DO ease up with use.. Ive a glock 34 and bought 2 new mags for it a few weeks ago, my GOD theyre a mission to load, much harder than my other 4 "worn in" mags,
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by targetshooter900 » 19 Jul 2020, 5:49 pm

Bugman wrote:

Employment reasons or collectors licences.
targetshooter900
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers