Pistol Clay Pigeon?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol Clay Pigeon?

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jul 2020, 8:59 pm

I saw a video the other day of some clay busting with the Judge .410 revolvers, looks like good fun.
https://youtu.be/cEM6gvFdIyY
https://youtu.be/KV_nKERTwGU

Is handgun clay busting a possibility in Oz?
I'm guessing it could only be done at pistol ranges as we can't use handguns anywhere else.

I think threading it for a choke, or at least a straight-rifled "spin stopper" would help immensely with the patterning.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Pistol Clay Pigeon?

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Jul 2020, 1:02 am

G'day bladeracer,
No, it isn't. Not on the list of "Approved Matches", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2020, 8:40 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
No, it isn't. Not on the list of "Approved Matches", Cheers.

Is it not possible to create a new competition though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chinballs » 23 Jul 2020, 2:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:Is it not possible to create a new competition though?

Not really. The match usually has to be sanctioned by a shooting organisaton before your state Licensing branch will approve it.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2020, 2:48 pm

Chinballs wrote:

Not really. The match usually has to be sanctioned by a shooting organisaton before your state Licensing branch will approve it.

So the problem is on our side, not the authorities?
Do our sanctioning bodies no longer look at new competitions that might add new flavours to attract new shooters?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chinballs » 23 Jul 2020, 4:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Chinballs wrote:

Do our sanctioning bodies no longer look at new competitions that might add new flavours to attract new shooters?

Most matches are santioned by international bodies not just local shooting organisations.

Also, I don't think the very, very small amount of Judge owners (remember you need a high calibre permit to shoot one and the Judge is worse than useless for the only match you can shoot it in, Metallic Silhouette) are exactly clamouring for this kind of match. I doubt you would attract anyone except yourself with this match.

I'm all for shooting whatever you want but I don't think anyone is going to bother creating a match for such a miniscule niche.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2020, 6:45 pm

Chinballs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Chinballs wrote:

Most matches are santioned by international bodies not just local shooting organisations.

Also, I don't think the very, very small amount of Judge owners (remember you need a high calibre permit to shoot one and the Judge is worse than useless for the only match you can shoot it in, Metallic Silhouette) are exactly clamouring for this kind of match. I doubt you would attract anyone except yourself with this match.

I'm all for shooting whatever you want but I don't think anyone is going to bother creating a match for such a miniscule niche.

I agree that the Judge is definitely high on the list of garbage pistols, and I wouldn't bother with one myself :-)
But I do think pistol shooting needs to be more fun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 23 Jul 2020, 8:14 pm

While I agree the judge is not a great gun for most if any currently approved matches, in Vic there are a number of matches besides Metallic Silhouette where it could, repeat, could be used, BUT there is no way I would bother. Eg. Match 61 - Police & Service Match (NOTE this is NOT the same as Service Match), allowing handguns of greater than 38 calibre. Mind there are very few clubs in Vic that shoot it.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Skippy84 » 05 Aug 2020, 9:33 am

Shame it wouldnt take off I'd be keen as mustard to give it a go what about say a 9mm trying to bust clays would bit a heap of fun. There shouldn't be any rule that says one person or two could try it out on a range though right?
Skippy84
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Macross » 06 Aug 2020, 8:37 am

I agree that the Judge is definitely high on the list of garbage pistols, and I wouldn't bother with one myself :-)

If your looking for fun pistol shooting then check out your local IPSC matches. Its the most fun you can have with a gun in my opinion.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2020, 12:35 pm

Yep, I did it for thirteen years :-)
I do wish they would stick to their roots though and keep it "practical". Race guns and competition holsters are not "practical" in any way at all.

Macross wrote:

If your looking for fun pistol shooting then check out your local IPSC matches. Its the most fun you can have with a gun in my opinion.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers