General Sporting Revolver Suggestions

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

General Sporting Revolver Suggestions

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Sep 2020, 7:38 pm

Hi fellas,

I'd like to get a revolver for different competitions ranging from IPSC, Action Match, Metallic Silohuette ,Target Pistol etc. If there is one that fits in the Law Enforcement Activities discipline all the better.

MUST BE STAINLESS (blued looks bad)

I'm thinking a S&W 686 (or similar) or something like a Ruger GP100 (or similar). I plan on using moon clips.
Member-Deleted

Re: General Sporting Revolver Suggestions

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:Hi fellas,

I'd like to get a revolver for different competitions ranging from IPSC, Action Match, Metallic Silohuette ,Target Pistol etc. If there is one that fits in the Law Enforcement Activities discipline all the better.

MUST BE STAINLESS (blued looks bad)

I'm thinking a S&W 686 (or similar) or something like a Ruger GP100 (or similar). I plan on using moon clips.

By moon clips do you mean you want something in a rimless cartridge?
Or do you mean speed loaders?

I haven't used the Ruger but the 686 is a nice revolver, the only thing that puts me off it a little is that it seems everybody has one :-)
The Ruger does appeal to me as a more compact design that may sit in the hand better though, I don't recall ever holding one.
I'm more old-school so a S&W Model 19 or 27 would be my first choices.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Sep 2020, 8:03 pm

Moon clips as in the speed loader bro. Yeah it's definitely a popular one, I don't know if revolver divisions have a maximum amount of rounds that you can shoot before needing to reload i.e. Max of 6 rounds so no point in have 7 or 8 chambers.
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 8:09 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:Moon clips as in the speed loader bro. Yeah it's definitely a popular one, I don't know if revolver divisions have a maximum amount of rounds that you can shoot before needing to reload i.e. Max of 6 rounds so no point in have 7 or 8 chambers.

Moon clips will only work in revolvers designed for them, the cylinder needs to be shorter to allow for their thickness. Speedloaders are a means of holding cartridges for quicker loading.

I enjoyed shooting IPSC stages with revolvers even though they were designed around high-capacity semi-autos, good fun :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Sep 2020, 8:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:Moon clips as in the speed loader bro. Yeah it's definitely a popular one, I don't know if revolver divisions have a maximum amount of rounds that you can shoot before needing to reload i.e. Max of 6 rounds so no point in have 7 or 8 chambers.

Moon clips will only work in revolvers designed for them, the cylinder needs to be shorter to allow for their thickness. Speedloaders are a means of holding cartridges for quicker loading.

I enjoyed shooting IPSC stages with revolvers even though they were designed around high-capacity semi-autos, good fun :-)

Is a moonclipped cylinder something you can have a dealer order in?

Unfortunately we have to work with the laws provided, but at least with revolvers everyone would be on an even footing :p
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 8:15 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Is a moonclipped cylinder something you can have a dealer order in?

Unfortunately we have to work with the laws provided, but at least with revolvers everyone would be on an even footing :p

I don't know, but factory options will severely limit your choices of revolver. I really wouldn't waste your time with moon clips, just use speed loaders and practice.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Sep 2020, 8:21 pm

okeydoke, will consider thank you!
Member-Deleted

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Sep 2020, 12:19 am

G'day BangWhizzClack,
As bladeracer said going for a std revolver using speedloaders will open up a much wider range of revolvers many of which will be suitable for Law Enforcement comps. Moon clips can be faster to load, the current world speed shooting record was done with a revolver made for moonclips, but the choice is limited and none were approved for Law Enforcement issue. Among those you can use and could be found here perhaps would be the Ruger SP101 in 9mm, S&W 940 9mm, S&W 646 40 S&W, S&W 625 in 45ACP (current world speed record holder 6 shots reload another 6 shots less than 3 seconds). Clips are easily damaged and sometimes hard to find, and can cost over $40 each for quality steel, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Sep 2020, 3:02 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day BangWhizzClack,
As bladeracer said going for a std revolver using speedloaders will open up a much wider range of revolvers many of which will be suitable for Law Enforcement comps. Moon clips can be faster to load, the current world speed shooting record was done with a revolver made for moonclips, but the choice is limited and none were approved for Law Enforcement issue. Among those you can use and could be found here perhaps would be the Ruger SP101 in 9mm, S&W 940 9mm, S&W 646 40 S&W, S&W 625 in 45ACP (current world speed record holder 6 shots reload another 6 shots less than 3 seconds). Clips are easily damaged and sometimes hard to find, and can cost over $40 each for quality steel, Cheers

Okay thanks for the heads up, are .357's not a thing in the law enforcement issue?
Member-Deleted

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Sep 2020, 3:02 pm

G'day BangWhizzClack,
357 Mag Service revolvers are not made to take moonclips, so you need to modify them yourself to do so.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 26 Sep 2020, 3:39 pm

If this info is any help, then well and good. No-one in the pistol club I belong to uses moon clips. All use speed loaders suited to the type of revolver in use.
Myself I shoot action matches and service matches with either a S&W Mod10 in 38spl or a S&W 686 in 357mag. The relevant speed for loader for each model is used.
The 357mag is used for 100m met sil matches and no speed loaders are used. The 357mag is also used for c/fire/sports pistol matches and again no speed loaders are used.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 26 Sep 2020, 3:44 pm

Just to add to the echo chamber in here, I'd suggest you grab yourself a 686 6 -incher and half a dozen speed loaders. :) I got a second hand one about 6 months ago and its been putting a smile on my face ever since.

And you just cant beat a 6 inch stainless revolver for good looks and charm..

(Yeah, I said it.. my smiffy has charm... I'll go away and be ashamed now) hahaha
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by yoshie » 26 Sep 2020, 4:55 pm

6 round capacity Smith with a 6 inch barrel is a very versatile pistol for aussie shooter.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Sep 2020, 5:37 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day BangWhizzClack,
357 Mag Service revolvers are not made to take moonclips, so you need to modify them yourself to do so.

Okay, thank you.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Sep 2020, 5:38 pm

Bugman wrote:If this info is any help, then well and good. No-one in the pistol club I belong to uses moon clips. All use speed loaders suited to the type of revolver in use.
Myself I shoot action matches and service matches with either a S&W Mod10 in 38spl or a S&W 686 in 357mag. The relevant speed for loader for each model is used.
The 357mag is used for 100m met sil matches and no speed loaders are used. The 357mag is also used for c/fire/sports pistol matches and again no speed loaders are used.

Thank you.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Sep 2020, 5:42 pm

Crack Thump & yoshie,

The 686 is popular, but I'm not getting a 6" barrel :p I find them terribly ugly haha, the largest I'd go is 4" or 4 1/4"
Member-Deleted

Post by CrackThump » 26 Sep 2020, 5:59 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:Crack Thump & yoshie,

The 686 is popular, but I'm not getting a 6" barrel :p I find them terribly ugly haha, the largest I'd go is 4" or 4 1/4"

Oh aye... :) the snub nose... yeah, nah yeah.. theyre a good solid firearm :D.. but I just assumed that you peed standing up. *winks*
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Sep 2020, 6:11 pm

CrackThump wrote:

Oh aye... :) the snub nose... yeah, nah yeah.. theyre a good solid firearm :D.. but I just assumed that you peed standing up. *winks*

With a barrel this heavy it's hard to stand up to pee :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by CrackThump » 26 Sep 2020, 7:22 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
CrackThump wrote:

With a barrel this heavy it's hard to stand up to pee :lol:

HAAA.. Well played Sir.. well played. ! :D
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Sep 2020, 7:25 pm

HAAA.. Well played Sir.. well played. ! :D[/quote]

:drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by wrenchman » 27 Sep 2020, 10:34 am

i shoot the ruger gp100 they also make it in 10 mm and you can shoot 40 cal these are moon clip guns
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2020, 1:18 pm

wrenchman wrote:i shoot the ruger gp100 they also make it in 10 mm and you can shoot 40 cal these are moon clip guns

Is it still a GP100? I thought the moon-clip model had a different designation?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2020, 1:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
wrenchman wrote:i shoot the ruger gp100 they also make it in 10 mm and you can shoot 40 cal these are moon clip guns

Is it still a GP100? I thought the moon-clip model had a different designation?

Never mind, I went to Ruger :-)
Seems the 10mm models are a special edition.
An example of the subtle difference in cylinder length between the moon-clip and standard models.
10mm Auto above, .327Mag below.
Attachments
Ruger 1781.jpg
Ruger 1781.jpg (141.66 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
Ruger 1769.jpg
Ruger 1769.jpg (107.36 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Sep 2020, 4:01 pm

Yeah I'm caught between a 686 and the gp100 match champion. Either will do nicely, guess it depends on price and availability.
Member-Deleted

Post by cracker » 27 Sep 2020, 4:55 pm

stainless 686s are super nice... 1980's colt python if you can find one 2nd under 2k ?
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Sep 2020, 5:33 pm

cracker wrote:stainless 686s are super nice... 1980's colt python if you can find one 2nd under 2k ?

Good luck to me finding a python for under 2k haha :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by wrenchman » 28 Sep 2020, 9:08 am

i like the 357 i hand load and can say the 357 will do any thing the 10mm can do and 38s are about half what 40 cal cost so i dont no what you would gain from it but i dont
want to change your mind if you realy like it.
I tend to think that if you settle on some thing you didnt like as much you wont be happy guns are like cars what i like might not be what you like
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Sep 2020, 4:10 pm

wrenchman wrote:i like the 357 i hand load and can say the 357 will do any thing the 10mm can do and 38s are about half what 40 cal cost so i dont no what you would gain from it but i dont
want to change your mind if you realy like it.
I tend to think that if you settle on some thing you didnt like as much you wont be happy guns are like cars what i like might not be what you like

I was looking to settle on .357/.38, .40 is just not common enough in Australia, nor is 10mm.
Member-Deleted

Post by vmaxaust » 30 Sep 2020, 8:39 pm

I was looking to settle on .357/.38, .40 is just not common enough in Australia, nor is 10mm.[/quote]

I have both the Ruger GP100 (6" barrel) and the SP101. For your broad application the GP100 in 38/357 is very hard to beat right out of the box. Great trigger, feels wonderful to hold and is deadly accurate with the right ammo. If I was you I would go either the GP100 or #686 SW. You can't go wrong with either although for me personally the Ruger was better to hold and better to shoot. Hopefully you can try both at a local range before you buy one.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 01 Oct 2020, 7:36 am

Have you bought one yet.?? Lets see photos :D
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next