Luger P-08

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Luger P-08

Post by Macross » 17 Nov 2020, 1:17 pm

I posted this on reddit as well but thought i would cross post here as not everyone will be on both

Ive always wanted to get a Luger. If I do eventually get one, I really want to be able to shoot it now and then.. not 1000's of rounds, but it would be cool to take it to the range for a session now and then. But my concern is detracting from its value, or potentially breaking a handgun thats likely to be close to 100 years old.

I currently reload 9mm for my comp pistols, so could load up some nice light loads to run through it. Do they cycle ok with lighter loads???

Anyone have a P-08 that they shoot from time to time and have you got any advise for a would be owner.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Luger P-08

Post by LawrenceA » 17 Nov 2020, 1:51 pm

The Luger needs a heavier than normal load to cycle normally. About the equivalent of Super X.
Modern Military loads will not function properly.
The flip side is if the rounds are too powerful then the rear part of the toggle lock mechanism will slam into the back of the frame on cycling. This can crack things.
The Luger is an excellent firearm that has had an elevated status even as it was initially introduced. It sits well in the hand, it points beautifully.
They are beautifully made with very tight tolerances. A very strong action capable of very good accuracy but with rotten sights.
Occasionally 1 turns up with a target barrel fitted. When one does then grab it. Wish I had.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Nov 2020, 1:56 pm

G'day Macross,
A standard Army P'08 has a short barrel, so it can only be shot on a Collectors shoot or alternatively you can pay extra for an Artillery Model with the 200mm barrel or a Navy Model with the 120mm barrel. Aftermarket barrels can be found, but the cost of getting them here plus fitting is prohibitive. As for casual shooting affecting value, no it won't, you will not wear it out just occasionally using it. and it will not suffer damage from standard 9x19 ammo It is not recommended to shoot large amounts of +P, nor will it cycle with low pressure ammo. I currently use a Dutch East Indies Luger made by Vickers using DWM parts in collectors shoots and find S&B bulk 9mm works very well, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 17 Nov 2020, 2:26 pm

No1Mk3 wrote: I currently use a Dutch East Indies Luger made by Vickers using DWM parts in collectors shoots and find S&B bulk 9mm works very well, Cheers.

That is interesting as mine will not cycle with that same ammo.

There you go Macross. When you get one, load development for reliability could be more involved.
As No1Mk3 said not too light but not too hot.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers