Handgun suggestions for a handgun newbie

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Handgun suggestions for a handgun newbie

Post by Zappa » 17 Jan 2021, 9:01 am

CactusElite wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:Glock 34 is aimed at IPSC type competition. In my experience it does the job very well.

That's untrue.. It's not even production legal.

Are you sure ? There are many glock 34 9mm shooter in the production div in my IPSC club.

https://www.nioa.com.au/products/glock- ... ipsc-135mm

I realise the 127mm limit applies for production class but always thought the 34 has a deep breech face that brings it within.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 18 Jan 2021, 2:42 am

Zappa wrote:
CactusElite wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:Glock 34 is aimed at IPSC type competition. In my experience it does the job very well.

That's untrue.. It's not even production legal.

Are you sure ? There are many glock 34 9mm shooter in the production div in my IPSC club.

https://www.nioa.com.au/products/glock- ... ipsc-135mm

I realise the 127mm limit applies for production class but always thought the 34 has a deep breech face that brings it within.

From my recollection "Production" division is a relatively recent addition to IPSC. I can't recall it being a thing when I started the discipline. Only pistols included in a list by IPSC are approved for "Production" and, you are correct, the Glock 34 isn't on that list..

However the Glock 34 is specifically produced for IPSC competition and, out of the box, meets the all requirements for "Standard" division which, I believe, pre-dates the introduction of "Production". I have competed in "standard" division for over 20 years and have used the G34 since the 9mm/.38 restriction was imposed on us. It is completely legal for IPSC competition and is widely used by competitors.

To comply for "Standard" division under IPSC rules, the handgun must fit inside a box measuring 225mm long x 150mm high by 45mm deep.
The G34 is 224mm long overall, 139 mm high with magazine inserted, and 33mm thick. As stated, it is designed to comply with IPSC rules.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 20 Apr 2021, 10:57 pm

Cactus? Cactus? (crickets chirping....)
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by G-Swiss » 21 Apr 2021, 11:41 am

My first pistol was a Gen 5 Glock 34. Why? Reliability. If I can only have one pistol I want it to work, every time I pull the trigger.

Most people at the club recommended a .22 to start with: get your fundamentals right without breaking the bank. I listened to their advice, but went with a 9mm anyway because I just wanted one.

I’d shot SIGs, a CZ Shadow 2 and a Glock 17 before my purchase. Both the SIG and especially the CZ felt better in hand, but I’d seen them both malfunction in the months leading up to me being eligible to purchase. The SIG (a 320) had a couple of stovepipes and the CZ had the occasional failure to cycle (maybe due to lighter comp loads). The Glock ate everything and never missed a beat. Takedown is simple, cleaning is simple, less parts = less to go wrong. They are cheaper to buy, (but worth less for re-sell).

I decided on the G34 gen5 due to the extra sight radius, and supposedly better factory trigger. I swapped out the OEM sights with a Dawson Precision fibre optic front / fixed black rear and it shoots spot on. The trigger isn’t amazing, there is a *lot of take-up compared to a target trigger, but it breaks cleanly and reset is fine. I added an Olight Pro which really helps keep the barrel down for follow up shots, but I get a bit of stick at the club for being scared of the dark. There are also Glock haters wherever you go, they set themselves up by giving Glock owners a hard time for buying a ‘Tupperware POS’, until their gun inevitably malfunctions and you can quietly say in passing “Should’ve bought a Glock”. My Club president didn’t appreciate that one bit lol. I’ve got about 2k + rounds through my G34 so far, without a hitch.

Since then I have added a 6.5” Black Mamba .22 which is a whole different animal. Precise, crisp trigger, great balance etc..
I really like both guns! Having a .22 is great because it lets you get heaps of practise on trigger control, grip, stance etc at a very cheap running cost. I’m now looking a a revolver and an older SIG for heritage reasons. N+1!

As others have said, figure out what disciplines you want to shoot, try as many different guns as you can and talk to others, but in the end go with your preference and ignore the naysayers.

Oh and I mainly shoot Field, Mandar and some intro Prac at this stage.
Cheers G
G-Swiss
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by gunnnie » 25 Apr 2021, 10:06 am

Fairly sage advice among most posts.
One big take is personal like. If you really, really like a gun, you're mentally & emotionally invested in it. Ergo, you'll enjoy shooting that gun, want to shoot that gun etc.
I've coached many new shooters over the years and often asked to help/mentor new shooters struggling.
New shooters without any prior handgun or shooting experience, are better served with a 22 as their first pistol. Why, several reasons; cost of gun & ammo, shootability, comparative ease of recoil control, fear factor. Sometimes stepping straight into a centrefire isn't a good idea. Without proper/thorough continuous tuition, bad habits are formed. Which invariably leads to a longer period of relearning & developing the correct habits.
Brands, well there's plenty to choose from, but it'll boil down to personal choice based on how the gun fits your hand and your liking of it. Me, I like the 22 cal Rugers. Good design, good ergonomics (for most folks), very good accuracy potential, good upgrade options & importantly, prices (both new & 2nd hand).
Centrefires, no fixed preferences. I'm not a brand snob in this regard. Personally, I run Rugers, S&W, Tanfoglio, Glock, Taurus & Springfield.
As for Glocks, I'm a fan, also a Glock armourer. I run a modified Gen3 Mod34 in a couple of comps. Would I recommend it for a new handgun shooter, probably not! It's not a real easy gun to learn how to control & shoot accurately. I've seen this belief founded on too many occasions with new handgun owners & their Glocks.
Ultimately, I always advise any new shooter looking to decide on their first gun, try to handle/ shoot as many different guns as possible. Most shooters won't mind allowing a beginner to fire a few rounds through their gun.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThatNewGuy » 25 Apr 2021, 8:05 pm

gunnnie wrote:Fairly sage advice among most posts.
One big take is personal like. If you really, really like a gun, you're mentally & emotionally invested in it. Ergo, you'll enjoy shooting that gun, want to shoot that gun etc.
I've coached many new shooters over the years and often asked to help/mentor new shooters struggling.
New shooters without any prior handgun or shooting experience, are better served with a 22 as their first pistol. Why, several reasons; cost of gun & ammo, shootability, comparative ease of recoil control, fear factor. Sometimes stepping straight into a centrefire isn't a good idea. Without proper/thorough continuous tuition, bad habits are formed. Which invariably leads to a longer period of relearning & developing the correct habits.
Brands, well there's plenty to choose from, but it'll boil down to personal choice based on how the gun fits your hand and your liking of it. Me, I like the 22 cal Rugers. Good design, good ergonomics (for most folks), very good accuracy potential, good upgrade options & importantly, prices (both new & 2nd hand).
Centrefires, no fixed preferences. I'm not a brand snob in this regard. Personally, I run Rugers, S&W, Tanfoglio, Glock, Taurus & Springfield.
As for Glocks, I'm a fan, also a Glock armourer. I run a modified Gen3 Mod34 in a couple of comps. Would I recommend it for a new handgun shooter, probably not! It's not a real easy gun to learn how to control & shoot accurately. I've seen this belief founded on too many occasions with new handgun owners & their Glocks.
Ultimately, I always advise any new shooter looking to decide on their first gun, try to handle/ shoot as many different guns as possible. Most shooters won't mind allowing a beginner to fire a few rounds through their gun.

Yeah I agree with most of the posts here and I have taken a lot of what people have said into consideration when looking for one now that I'm waiting for the approval of my CAT H...

Also, a quick question what does it take to be an armourer (in general) in QLD?
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 28 Apr 2021, 8:31 pm

Civil armourers, not sure as I've not looked into it. My quals come from the military, trained in small arms from 22lr survival gun through to 30mm aircraft cannon.
As for the Glock armourer quality, I got that when I attended a training program run through the NSW police HQ in Sydney in 1994. The RAAF was in the process of buying Glock 19's for aircrew to replace the SLP L9A1. A senior armourer from Glock had flown out to Australia to train the NSWPOL armourers for servicing their 40cal Glocks. I was lucky enough to score a spot on the course.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Woden » 13 Aug 2021, 2:58 pm

G-Swiss wrote:Since then I have added a 6.5” Black Mamba .22 which is a whole different animal. Precise, crisp trigger, great balance etc.

So G-Swiss, any further reports on the Black Mamba? Still happy? Any tips on holsters or other add-ons?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers