Handgun suggestions for a handgun newbie

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Handgun suggestions for a handgun newbie

Post by ThatNewGuy » 20 Nov 2020, 6:01 pm

Good afternoon guys and gals,

I am going to be doing my safety course for a cat H license soon and was wondering what you fine people suggest for a beginner (and history buff) once my 6 months provisionary wait is up. I was tempted for a luger before I saw the recent post on those, I'm now thinking of a G2 or even a G1 contender due to its multi-caliber potential.

I'm in QLD if that makes suggestions easier.

Thank you for your suggestions,
That (reasonably)NewGuy
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Handgun suggestions for a handgun newbie

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2020, 6:54 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:Good afternoon guys and gals,

I am going to be doing my safety course for a cat H license soon and was wondering what you fine people suggest for a beginner (and history buff) once my 6 months provisionary wait is up. I was tempted for a luger before I saw the recent post on those, I'm now thinking of a G2 or even a G1 contender due to its multi-caliber potential.

That (reasonably)NewGuy

What is a G2?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 6:57 pm

I must have missed that thread on lugers. Are you able to post the link in here please mate?

As for an answer to your question... It depends... are there any specific disciplines you'd like to shoot in? Any particular historical themes you prefer and would really like? Any... extracurricular purposes for the handgun? Any specific features you are chasing?

I myself am working towards getting a ruger gp100 or sp101 and a cz shadow 2. Why? I love the way the CZ feels in my hand, and I shoot pretty darn well with it. I'm also a prepper, and cz's are the most common handguns in Australia, so spare parts wouldn't be the hardest to come across in a shtf scenario. My reason for choosing the revolvers, is because I think they're cool, and other reasons I won't go into. If I was wealthy enough, I'd personally also get a couple of ruger single action revolvers for SASS comps and also a Luger because why the f*** wouldn't you want a luger?
Member-Deleted

Post by ThatNewGuy » 20 Nov 2020, 7:04 pm

Thompson-Center-G2-Contender-pistol_01.png
This is a Thompson Center G2 Contender
Thompson-Center-G2-Contender-pistol_01.png (499.28 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
bladeracer wrote:

That (reasonably)NewGuy

What is a G2?

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 7:08 pm

Oh, and :welcome:

I've heard many people tell how they bought a glock as a first handgun, because... it's a glock.. they always regret it. I don't know why, they never say, they just shake their heads and suggest you don't do the same.
Member-Deleted

Post by ThatNewGuy » 20 Nov 2020, 7:10 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:I must have missed that thread on lugers. Are you able to post the link in here please mate?

As for an answer to your question... It depends... are there any specific disciplines you'd like to shoot in? Any particular historical themes you prefer and would really like? Any... extracurricular purposes for the handgun? Any specific features you are chasing?

I myself am working towards getting a ruger gp100 or sp101 and a cz shadow 2. Why? I love the way the CZ feels in my hand, and I shoot pretty darn well with it. I'm also a prepper, and cz's are the most common handguns in Australia, so spare parts wouldn't be the hardest to come across in a shtf scenario. My reason for choosing the revolvers, is because I think they're cool, and other reasons I won't go into. If I was wealthy enough, I'd personally also get a couple of ruger single action revolvers for SASS comps and also a Luger because why the f*** wouldn't you want a luger?

Pretty much any pre ww1 to ww2+ would be my theme I as for disciplines I want to try them all before settling on any discipline as for the luger thread here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14723

I want a luger for their history and for the unique toggle action they have sadly all of the club legal ones that I have found are in the 2k+ bracket and my wallet would be pretty sad if I spent that much on a luger sadly.

EDIT: I've heard about glocks my LGS said "if you are gonna get a glock might as well throw a rock" he apparently didn't think to highly of their accuracy...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 20 Nov 2020, 7:19 pm

That (reasonably)NewGuy

Sorry to hijack your thread man....

If military history is your thing, i hear very good things about 1911's, browning hi-powers and beretta 92's ...heaps to choose from

And ignore the anti-glockers... I have a glock. It goes bang every time, and hits where i point it.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 7:21 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:I must have missed that thread on lugers. Are you able to post the link in here please mate?

Pretty much any pre ww1 to ww2+ would be my theme I as for disciplines I want to try them all before settling on any discipline as for the luger thread here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14723

I want a luger for their history and for the unique toggle action they have sadly all of the club legal ones that I have found are in the 2k+ bracket and my wallet would be pretty sad if I spent that much on a luger sadly.

EDIT: I've heard about glocks my LGS said "if you are gonna get a glock might as well throw a rock" he apparently didn't think to highly of their accuracy...

Pre WW1 to WW2.... Hmm... 1911's are around that same price point... You'd be pretty buggered trying to find collectable militaria handguns for under 2k.. You'd probably get crucified for shooting it often too :p. There are modern Lugers made, but any decent handgun is going to be around the 2k mark. I'm pretty sure you can thank Customs and the ATO for that.
Member-Deleted

Post by ThatNewGuy » 20 Nov 2020, 8:08 pm

@BangWhizzClack & CrackThump Thank you both for your suggestions you both seem to like the 1911 platform despite your disagreements ill be sure to look into all of your suggestions

Do either of you or anyone really, know what are some good places online to troll when push comes to shove for buying handguns, or is it more of a try at your local range and make a decision based on experience?

Side note: I'm not too worried about being crucified for shooting it too often my local range has had to put up with me bringing my 115yr old swede and causing the lights to blackout on every trigger pull for a while now :lol: (if you are apart of this range and see this I'm sorry for the noise)
Last edited by ThatNewGuy on 20 Nov 2020, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bello » 20 Nov 2020, 8:14 pm

Hello that new guy
That’s a nice looking pistol the G2
I would be looking at a 22 caliber version to start.
It will be great to learn and practice correct techniques...very important with pistol.
22lr has little to no recoil, so no problems with developing flinch.
Practice practice and practice. Learn correct techniques and ask for help and guidance from more experienced members of your club.
You will find most men and women in your club are very approachable, they may even let you use their pistols to get a feel of what different handguns feel like in your hand. Ask those people about their experiences with different pistols. Ask lots of questions. Make your mind up once you feel comfortable with the information you have garnered from all your enquiries. Don’t be in too much of a hurry to buy a pistol. Your club may have pistols you can rent and practice with. You may find you end up with a pistol you didn’t think of initially.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport as much as we all have.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 8:24 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:@BangWhizzClack & CrackThump Thank you both for your suggestions you both seem to like the 1911 platform despite your disagreements ill be sure to look into all of your suggestions

Do either of you or anyone really, know what are some good places online to troll when push comes to shove for buying handguns, or is it more of a try at your local range and make a decision based on experience?

Side note: I'm not too worried about being crucified for shooting it too often my local range has had to put up with me bringing my 115yr old rifle and causing the lights to blackout on every trigger pull for a while now :lol: (if you are apart of this range and see this I'm sorry for the noise)

It's a little tricky here to experience different handguns. In my experience. I don't like asking to use another man's gun so that not really an option. Once you've got your provisional you could always call around different clubs and see what club guns they have available to try, keep in mind they are often very used and so accuracy and reliability can be questionable. I've had a couple of major issues with club guns. Apart from that... Sometimes a gun shop will keep handguns in stock but may or may not advertise, other times, they are order in only, which doesn't give you the opportunity feel them, let alone shoot them (which is pretty important). But I'm yet to actually purchase a handgun. Covid put a damper on those plans.

ozgunsales.com.au is pretty good, and ssaagunsales.com.au. Other people may have had different experiences with different gun shops. Queensland might be a totally different beast compared with Victoria.

But that's pretty much all I've got, will be interesting to see what others say.

What is that 115y.o. beasty? The K31?
Member-Deleted

Post by ThatNewGuy » 20 Nov 2020, 8:51 pm

Bello,

Thank you for your insight the G2 Is looking like my go-to if I cannot get a milsurp that if I don't find another gun that I feel would be superior.

Bang,
Ill patrol those websites looking for a deal after I get my hands on a few that I have tried... And the 115yr old beasty is a 1905 Swedish m96 retrofitted to a M96/B at some point the barrel is still sharp despite having been used as a training rifle, There are still wood chips underneath the thread protector!

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 9:01 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:Bello,

Thank you for your insight the G2 Is looking like my go-to if I cannot get a milsurp that if I don't find another gun that I feel would be superior.

Bang,
Ill patrol those websites looking for a deal after I get my hands on a few that I have tried... And the 115yr old beasty is a 1905 Swedish m96 retrofitted to a M96/B at some point the barrel is still sharp despite having been used as a training rifle, There are still wood chips underneath the thread protector!

Hahaha yep, you're a real history buff, I can sense the fondness and excitement when you talk about woodchips underneath the thread protector :lol: I'm sure there is an Arms and Militaria club up that way somewhere you could join (assuming you haven't already). That might bring a pep to your Wednesday night or whenever their meetings are :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by rc42 » 20 Nov 2020, 9:30 pm

The difficulty in QLD is that you can only have one 'real' pistol plus an air pistol in the first year of becoming licensed so your choice has to be driven by the competitions that you want to take part in rather than what your final collection is going to look like.

The Contender pistols would probably get you around that limit as the different caliber barrels are easily available and don't require PTAs, however, they are single shot break action with long heavy barrels so they are great for metallic silhouette and near useless for everything else. Most competitions make use of the rapid fire ability of pistols and they don't have that.

If you go for a 'jack of all trades' first pistol then 22LR is the most sensible choice so you can burn through thousands of rounds and learn good technique without developing a flinch, there are lots of options available in 22 semi autos. Revolvers might also be a good choice if you like that sort of thing, in 22LR they hold up to 10 rounds so can take part in most competitions even with their slow reload.

Center fire is more fun but comes with a big cost in $, lot of models available and you can compete in a lot of competitions with a 9mm semi auto, not so many with a 38/357 revolver and larger calibers (class C) are only approved for metallic silhouette so aren't a good first pistol choice as you'd hardly get to shoot them (plus the cost is $$).

So overall my suggestion is consider what you will be able to use most over that first 12 months of being licensed and whether you have the budget to keep feeding the more expensive types. Personally, I went for the Ruger Mark IV Hunter and I shoot about 10 competitions per month of various types and have put about 8,000 rounds through it since July, I still think I made the right choice but I'm already preparing the shopping list for next year.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 20 Nov 2020, 9:32 pm

IMHO, unless you are intending to do matches like the small bore (rimfire) silhouette matches, I could not possibly recommenda Thompson Contender G2 or the older contenders. I do own two G2 in 22LR and one older model in a 30cal configuration.

Yes the barrels can be changed out easily in a minute or so and what is a 22LR could well become a 30-30. However the single shot nature makes them impractical for many matches. Also note in QLD (unlike Vic) every barrel has to be registered.

A far better initial option would be a reasonable quality basic semi-auto 22 eg. Browning Buckmark. Useful for far more matches, cheap ammo (for far more practice) and a good learning tool.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 9:36 pm

rc42 wrote:The difficulty in QLD is that you can only have one 'real' pistol plus an air pistol in the first year of becoming licensed so your choice has to be driven by the competitions that you want to take part in rather than what your final collection is going to look like.

The Contender pistols would probably get you around that limit as the different caliber barrels are easily available and don't require PTAs, however, they are single shot break action with long heavy barrels so they are great for metallic silhouette and near useless for everything else. Most competitions make use of the rapid fire ability of pistols and they don't have that.

If you go for a 'jack of all trades' first pistol then 22LR is the most sensible choice so you can burn through thousands of rounds and learn good technique without developing a flinch, there are lots of options available in 22 semi autos. Revolvers might also be a good choice if you like that sort of thing, in 22LR they hold up to 10 rounds so can take part in most competitions even with their slow reload.

Center fire is more fun but comes with a big cost in $, lot of models available and you can compete in a lot of competitions with a 9mm semi auto, not so many with a 38/357 revolver and larger calibers (class C) are only approved for metallic silhouette so aren't a good first pistol choice as you'd hardly get to shoot them (plus the cost is $$).

So overall my suggestion is consider what you will be able to use most over that first 12 months of being licensed and whether you have the budget to keep feeding the more expensive types. Personally, I went for the Ruger Mark IV Hunter and I shoot about 10 competitions per month of various types and have put about 8,000 rounds through it since July, I still think I made the right choice but I'm already preparing the shopping list for next year.

I don't know about Queensland but here in VIC you can purchase some 9mm pistols that you are also able to get compatible .22 conversion kits for and the conversion kits don't need to be registered. That might be an option?

EDIT: Ignore this, Sarco has just enlightened me to the different laws.
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2020, 10:05 pm

Sarco wrote:IMHO, unless you are intending to do matches like the small bore (rimfire) silhouette matches, I could not possibly recommenda Thompson Contender G2 or the older contenders. I do own two G2 in 22LR and one older model in a 30cal configuration.

Yes the barrels can be changed out easily in a minute or so and what is a 22LR could well become a 30-30. However the single shot nature makes them impractical for many matches. Also note in QLD (unlike Vic) every barrel has to be registered.

A far better initial option would be a reasonable quality basic semi-auto 22 eg. Browning Buckmark. Useful for far more matches, cheap ammo (for far more practice) and a good learning tool.

Even Chlappa's shotgun chamber adaptors apparently require individual PtA's in Qld, down here they're unregulated.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThatNewGuy » 20 Nov 2020, 10:12 pm

I just double-checked the laws in QLD I'm pretty sure Sarco is correct as the barrels could be considered a conversion kit I guess I'll have to ask my LGS sometime next week if so that puts a damper on my mood slightly.

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 10:31 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:I just double-checked the laws in QLD I'm pretty sure Sarco is correct as the barrels could be considered a conversion kit I guess I'll have to ask my LGS sometime next week if so that puts a damper on my mood slightly.

Hey, at least you'll be able to change to something you can use in more competitions.
Member-Deleted

Post by ob1 » 21 Nov 2020, 12:23 pm

Newbie advice ............

9mm is your obvious choice - commercial ammunition is readily available; easy to reload and lots of 9mm supplies available.

Three options for semi-auto handgun type - striker fired, double action / single action, single action only.

Striker fired with no visible hammer: Glock and other polymer striker pistols. Accurate and easy to use and maintain. Downside is that every trigger pull for the Glock is the same relatively heavy weight, often leading to shooters with poor trigger control complaining that the pistol is not accurate. This is BS. Glocks are very accurate and reliable, as will be any modern pistol you will buy.

Double action / single action with a visible hammer: CZ Shadow or Tanfoglio are popular. Double action trigger pull weight for first shot is similar to a Glock, single action shots the trigger pull is much lighter and closer to a 1911. Can be used as single action by not lowering the hammer for the first shot. After the first shot the hammer stays cocked and following shots are single action. Again, very accurate and reliable. Much easier trigger control than the Glock.

Single action only: 1911 / 2011 platform. A little more complex, requiring manual safety activation, etc. Very accurate and reliable. Cannot be fired double action for first shot. Easiest trigger to master.

World shoots have been won by each of the above, so the guns are all good for accuracy and reliability. Do you want a polymer frame or a metal frame. Do you want a heavier or lighter trigger. Personal preference. Do a search on usedguns looking at 9mm handguns. Avoid Beretta and other brands that are not common, or you will suffer on retail when you want to sell at a later date.

If you cannot decide, buy a CZ or Tanfoglio that can be competitive in a lot of competitions.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by ThatNewGuy » 21 Nov 2020, 2:59 pm

ob1 wrote:Newbie advice ............

9mm is your obvious choice - commercial ammunition is readily available; easy to reload and lots of 9mm supplies available.

Three options for semi-auto handgun type - striker fired, double action / single action, single action only.

Striker fired with no visible hammer: Glock and other polymer striker pistols. Accurate and easy to use and maintain. Downside is that every trigger pull for the Glock is the same relatively heavy weight, often leading to shooters with poor trigger control complaining that the pistol is not accurate. This is BS. Glocks are very accurate and reliable, as will be any modern pistol you will buy.

Double action / single action with a visible hammer: CZ Shadow or Tanfoglio are popular. Double action trigger pull weight for first shot is similar to a Glock, single action shots the trigger pull is much lighter and closer to a 1911. Can be used as single action by not lowering the hammer for the first shot. After the first shot the hammer stays cocked and following shots are single action. Again, very accurate and reliable. Much easier trigger control than the Glock.

Single action only: 1911 / 2011 platform. A little more complex, requiring manual safety activation, etc. Very accurate and reliable. Cannot be fired double action for first shot. Easiest trigger to master.

World shoots have been won by each of the above, so the guns are all good for accuracy and reliability. Do you want a polymer frame or a metal frame. Do you want a heavier or lighter trigger. Personal preference. Do a search on usedguns looking at 9mm handguns. Avoid Beretta and other brands that are not common, or you will suffer on retail when you want to sell at a later date.

If you cannot decide, buy a CZ or Tanfoglio that can be competitive in a lot of competitions.

Do the actions make a major difference in terms of accuracy or is it more the shooter when it comes to handguns then?

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Macross » 21 Nov 2020, 3:00 pm

Lots of good advise here.

I would recommend you take a good look at CZ pistols for a first handgun. Lots of options and models. Metal and polymer frames to choose from. Metal frame CZ pistols kinda scratch that history buff itch, as its genealogy goes back to the browning 1911 design with some 1940's/1950's Swiss P210 herbs and spices thrown in. Also very competent in numerous matches, with loads of reliability and accuracy for any skill level.

Can confirm in Qld that you cannot own a conversion kit in the first 12 months. I have a CZ shadow 2 and looked into buying a .22lr Kadet kit for it and was not able to have both 9mm and .22lr conversion at the same time.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 21 Nov 2020, 3:05 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:Do the actions make a major difference in terms of accuracy or is it more the shooter when it comes to handguns then?

Most handguns will outshoot the shooter.... meaning they are more accurate than the person holding it can steady the firearm and break the trigger while on target.
Like the 3 most important things in real-estate, the three biggest things that aids in good accuracy in handguns is the trigger.... the trigger and the trigger. Nothing beats a good clean breaking trigger that is light as it can be. Having said that, a good handgun marksman 'should' be able to shoot any pistol well. There are some older guys an my club that can shoot tiny groups with anything you put in their hand... but i guess that comes with years of practice.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 21 Nov 2020, 7:06 pm

Don't forget an underused bit of legislation is then "like for like" in QLD.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-li ... r-warranty

So say you buy a Glock 17 and you don't like how its going for you. There's nothing stopping you going to a LGS and swapping it for say a Glock 34 or a 9mm 1911. As long as you stay same caliber and action its an open field.

Same goes for any other categories, swap that burnt out old Slazenger 22 for a brand new Ruger.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThatNewGuy » 21 Nov 2020, 7:55 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Don't forget an underused bit of legislation is then "like for like" in QLD.

So say you buy a Glock 17 and you don't like how its going for you. There's nothing stopping you going to a LGS and swapping it for say a Glock 34 or a 9mm 1911. As long as you stay same caliber and action its an open field.

Same goes for any other categories, swap that burnt out old Slazenger 22 for a brand new Ruger.

My mind has been blown I didn't even know this was a thing I doubt I'll ever use it but it's nice to know I've got an out

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by snag » 21 Nov 2020, 8:47 pm

After having the opportunity to fire a heap of different pistols during my probationary period, I went for a CZ Shadow 2 as my first handgun. Absolutely stoked with it still, you can't go wrong with one of these.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 21 Nov 2020, 10:02 pm

Had a look through the posts, lots of great advice but nobody has really asked what competitions do you want to shoot. how often do you want to be down at the range shooting and what sort of budget do you have for the pistol and the never ending supply of ammo that its going to eat through.
Also, what pistols have you tried at your club and what do you like and not like?

First pistol choice is tough as you're stuck with that caliber and action for the first year, it's nice in QLD that we can like for like swap it for a different model if we don't like it or want something better.

Try to make the decision with your head and not your heart, boring and sensible will get the most use, plenty of time for finding that grail pistol after the first year is up. You've got time though, not sure how much of your 6 month probation is left but the license application can take another 6 months after that.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 22 Nov 2020, 1:00 pm

Couldn't agree more, with rc42. Decide what you want to do with it, then see what others are using in that particular shooting catagory for a start. The go from there.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 22 Nov 2020, 1:12 pm

I went for the ever reliable Glock and a stainless 92FS
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2020, 1:20 pm

ThatNewGuy wrote:
CAVEMAN wrote:Don't forget an underused bit of legislation is then "like for like" in QLD.

My mind has been blown I didn't even know this was a thing I doubt I'll ever use it but it's nice to know I've got an out

Keep in mind that the price they offer for yours is still going to leave a fair gap to pay for the one you're buying.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers