Ruger Charger in a chassis

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Ruger Charger in a chassis

Post by Shootermick » 30 Nov 2020, 6:49 pm

Does anyone know what category a Ruger Charger in a chassis falls into in Vic? I’m guessing still cat H, but maybe cat C??
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Ruger Charger in a chassis

Post by bladeracer » 30 Nov 2020, 7:17 pm

Shootermick wrote:Does anyone know what category a Ruger Charger in a chassis falls into in Vic? I’m guessing still cat H, but maybe cat C??

Still CatH as far as I'm aware, if you can find a club that allows you to use it in competition.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 30 Nov 2020, 7:32 pm

yeah I would have thought given the original serial number/gun was a cat H it would stay that way. Unless it was "remanufactured" into a new gun with re-issued serial number etc.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 30 Nov 2020, 7:40 pm

I reckon you’re both right. I’ve got my cat c, and have been thinking about semi auto 22, but maybe just a 10/22, plenty of mods available there too.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 30 Nov 2020, 7:45 pm

yeah mate get the tried and tested and venerable 10/22, we had two when I was a kid, they're great, wish the old man had kept them, but alas I was too young to go through the rigmarole to get them.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by rc42 » 30 Nov 2020, 8:09 pm

The few clubs that allow Ruger Chargers for Metallic Silhouette generally don't allow pistols in chassis or shoulder braces even for practice, pistol Metallic Silhouette competitions certainly don't and there's nothing else that the firearm is approved for.
I would suggest checking with your club first, as it's a Cat H pistol there won't be anywhere else that you can use it.

People who are serious about Met Sil don't tend to use semi auto pistols so it won't be competitive compared to a single load pistol like the Thompson Contender, although it would be more fun to use.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 01 Dec 2020, 9:29 am

Just like our laws are ridiculous the chassis doesn't change the category but it makes it look scary so most clubs have banned it outright based on appearance. It's not worth it if you live outside of Qld.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers