Starting Pistol

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Starting Pistol

Post by Guliver » 25 Mar 2014, 6:32 pm

Just found an old German starting pistol I bought as a kid some 50 years ago, in the MSD (Melbourne Sports Depot), can I drop this off at the Police Station (suitable wrapped)?

What is the correct procedure for disposal.

Searched and could not find the answer using Google.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Starting Pistol

Post by Apollo » 25 Mar 2014, 6:37 pm

It is a "Firearm" (Pistol).

Don't know your local laws but first up I would ring my local Gun Store rather than confront some cranky Police Officer.

I would imagine you could hand it in to either. The Gun Shop may pay you something, the Police may give you the third degree...unless you have an Amnesty in force.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 25 Mar 2014, 6:46 pm

in vic there are three classes and class 1 starting pistols which do not look like firearms do not require a licence to use, others may if they look like firearms

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrieveme ... a_id=69237

Chronos
Last edited by Chronos on 25 Mar 2014, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Mar 2014, 6:53 pm

Think that needs a change.
Last edited by Apollo on 25 Mar 2014, 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 25 Mar 2014, 7:01 pm

Apollo wrote:Think that needs a change.

Thanks,

Short answer is if it looks like a pistol you probably need to register it in VIC, and in NSW it seems.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Guliver » 25 Mar 2014, 7:39 pm

This would fall into the looks like a pistol. just found the model,

Not interested in selling,just want it out of my hair. There must be a legal way of disposing of this.

I might smash it with a sledge hammer and bin the bits.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 25 Mar 2014, 8:28 pm

Yep, that definitely looks gunnish :lol:

Maybe take it to your LGS and then list it on a gun sales site, might pay for a brick of .22 ammo.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Mar 2014, 8:43 pm

Looks exactly like the one I had when I was 10-12 YO... Had a lot of fun with it. It made a lot more noise than a "Cap Gun" and a lot more real. It was since it was a copy of the .22 Pistol. Pretty sure I have seen a Browning for sale not long ago on Used Guns that is the same.

I'm not going to offer any extra advice on what to do with it other than to say I found mine after 50 years from the time purchased. It no longer exists.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Mark TAC » 25 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm

Legal here in WA, I'll have it :)
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 26 Mar 2014, 5:59 am

I'd hand it in at a gun shop, less dramas. At least they won't give you the third degree. Police will want to do a report, take a statement, get your ID and address, etc.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Guliver » 26 Mar 2014, 6:06 am

Gun shop it is.

Thanks for your help.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 26 Mar 2014, 10:58 am

yoshie wrote:I'd hand it in at a gun shop, less dramas. At least they won't give you the third degree. Police will want to do a report, take a statement, get your ID and address, etc.

Yep, just take it to your local gun shop.

It's perfectly legal to surrender a found gun to a firearms dealer in order for it to get put on the books, sold or destroyed as required.

You're not doing anything "less" legal by taking it to your LGS instead of the police. Your LGS is in the business of getting firearms to people though, the Police are not.

Just faster and less hassle going straight to the source - your local gun shop.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 26 Mar 2014, 11:12 am

VICHunter wrote:
yoshie wrote:I'd hand it in at a gun shop, less dramas. At least they won't give you the third degree. Police will want to do a report, take a statement, get your ID and address, etc.

Yep, just take it to your local gun shop.

It's perfectly legal to surrender a found gun to a firearms dealer in order for it to get put on the books, sold or destroyed as required.

You're not doing anything "less" legal by taking it to your LGS instead of the police. Your LGS is in the business of getting firearms to people though, the Police are not.

Just faster and less hassle going straight to the source - your local gun shop.

It should be noted that in TAS it is now illegal to hand in firearms to a gunshop, they are required to direct you to a Police station.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 26 Mar 2014, 11:35 am

Yep, well the OP is in Victoria so it doesn't affect him.

However, Tasmania has in effect a permanent Amnesty for the surrender of unregistered Firearms to Police and not Firearms Dealers as well as it was in the past. Doesn't sound like a very smart move to me in reducing the numbers of unregistered firearms. Didn't see any where the mention of having an unregistered firearm registered and sounds like they will all be destroyed.

Anyway, that's not the topic here.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 26 Mar 2014, 12:14 pm

Also the amnesty is a no questions asked arrangement, not the case in other states and territories.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Warrigul » 26 Mar 2014, 12:30 pm

Apollo wrote:Yep, well the OP is in Victoria so it doesn't affect him.

However, Tasmania has in effect a permanent Amnesty for the surrender of unregistered Firearms to Police and not Firearms Dealers as well as it was in the past. Doesn't sound like a very smart move to me in reducing the numbers of unregistered firearms. Didn't see any where the mention of having an unregistered firearm registered and sounds like they will all be destroyed.

Anyway, that's not the topic here.

The advice given that it could be handed into the local gunshop was not state specific, even though the OP is Victorian.

What is more you are required to be licenced to have a starting pistol, it is a grey area in TAS and many people in TAS are on this forum, some who will be unaware of the recent changes (within our club there are still some unaware of them).

Empty vessels.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 26 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm

yoshie wrote:Also the amnesty is a no questions asked arrangement, not the case in other states and territories.

I read in the paper that they would destroy the firearms after a history check. I would be curious to see what would happen if they were found to be stolen, I handed in parts last year and they took details.

The amnesty is in the best interests of everyone.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by chookah » 27 Mar 2014, 12:08 pm

Warrigul wrote:I would be curious to see what would happen if they were found to be stolen

I wonder how often that happens...

I guess once it's been stolen for the first time and gone into those illegal circles they're not likely to find their way back into the hands of a LAFO who'll had it in?
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers