Ruger MkIV Firing pin rebound spring broken - again!

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Ruger MkIV Firing pin rebound spring broken - again!

Post by Macross » 01 Jan 2021, 10:57 am

We bought a second hand MkIV target a while ago. It was in pretty good nick... not perfect but overall fairly good. When i took down the bolt i noticed the firing pin rebound spring had lost a couple of coils of either end. I replace that with a new one about 12 months ago. I discovered the other day that the same thing has happed again.

There is a little bit of marring in the firing pin channel from where the coils have bounced around a bit and kind of made a few indentations. I am wondering if these are catching the spring when firing and causing it to snap coils off? Wondered if anyone else has had issues with Ruger Mark series pistols chewing up rebound springs??
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Ruger MkIV Firing pin rebound spring broken - again!

Post by rc42 » 01 Jan 2021, 1:55 pm

About 10,000 rounds through my MkIV Hunter in the last 5 months but no rebound spring issues, although I did snap the firing pin last week after mag dumping about 100 CCI Velocitors.
I've been using the Volquartsen competition bolt since new and have carefully polished the magazine edges so it has never had a feed failure or stove pipe, just a few failures to fire on some really cheap bulk ammo which was certainly the problem.

I had a spare Volquartsen firing pin so was able to keep shooting but have ordered another and a Tandemkross "Essential Maintenance Kit" through Brownells which includes a titanium firing pin which will be my spare spare but I noticed that the kit includes five rebound springs so their short working life must be a known issue.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Essential-M ... p_403.html
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers