Buying from usedguns.com.au (QLD)

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Buying from usedguns.com.au (QLD)

Post by Noeyedeer » 07 Feb 2021, 6:19 pm

Hi,

Just after some guidance on buying my first pistol. Ive found a pistol I want on usedguns.com.au. Its a private ad in the same state as me (QLD). Ive applied for a club approval letter and no police pta yet.

I would like to get the gun posted to my local dealer. Do I approach the seller and pay the registered owner directly and their transfering dealer sends it to my dealer to hold until I get my PTA? Once I have the PTA do I need to send the original copy to the registered owner to be signed before picking up the gun from my dealer?

Any information on how it all works when buying from a private ad would be great. Cheers
Noeyedeer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Buying from usedguns.com.au (QLD)

Post by Chinballs » 11 Feb 2021, 12:09 pm

Pay seller
Seller sends pistol to your dealer
Apply for PTA with your dealer as disposer
Receive PTA
Pick up pistol from your dealer
Done
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 11 Feb 2021, 6:37 pm

If you transfer through a dealer the fee is about $50 plus any storage fees if there is a delay in your PTA coming through.

Interstate transfers generally have to happen as above (for longarms) but if you live in the same state and reasonably close together you can arrange something like:

Pay a deposit to the seller and get their license and the firearm details.
Get the club PTA support letter for that firearm (this is the extra pistol step)
Apply for the PTA as a private sale, list the seller as the disposer and get the PTA sent to you by post
Meet the seller at a dealer and pay the remainder, get the dealer to broker the transaction using your PTA and put the firearm on your license, cost $10

The seller leaves with cash and a copy of the disposal notice and you leave with the firearm and an acquisition notice in return for your PTA
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Feb 2021, 6:47 pm

If you are purchasing in Qld just buy it through the transferring dealer. No need to get it sent local and pick it up.
Talk to the transferring dealer before you do anything.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noeyedeer » 14 Feb 2021, 11:24 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think Ill just meet the owner at his dealer for the transfer. When doing the PTA do I put the dealer as the disposer or the registered owner (individual)?
Noeyedeer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 14 Feb 2021, 1:02 pm

For a transfer with you both at the same dealer at the same time you put the individual seller as the disposer, the dealer just brokers the deal and completes paperwork.
I think this is one of the few times that you have to enter the serial number of the firearm on the PTA application.

If the dealer is the disposer then they would have to acquire it from the current seller first, the transfer cost then goes up to $50 or more, this is for when you can't visit the dealer at the same time or live too far apart (or interstate)

It would be a good idea to call the dealer that you are planning to use and double check their process and the costs.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers