Slide holdback and ammo

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Slide holdback and ammo

Post by CAVEMAN » 13 Feb 2021, 1:59 pm

Afternoon all

So wondering if anyobe has any advice on wheter or not ammo can play a cause in the slide not locking back on the last round.

Back story, pistol Glock 17. Locks back on S&B 115 routinely. But Winchester 115 it seems to do it sporadically. Wondering if anyone else has similar.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Slide holdback and ammo

Post by wrenchman » 13 Feb 2021, 2:26 pm

yes my sons m&p wont hold back with some stuff but works fine in my pt 92 we found if we hand load his gun likes his stuff a little on the hot side to hold open on last round they will feed but just not hold open last round
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by CAVEMAN » 13 Feb 2021, 2:31 pm

Yeah cicles fine on the winchester, but half dont lock back. It is dirt cheap ammo but.

Think some ammo may be a bit more quality controlled than others.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 13 Feb 2021, 2:48 pm

The slide lock is further back then where the bolt has to go to pick up another round nine times out of 10 if the slide will not lock back it is because he ammo is too soft a load and sometimes can be a week magazine spring
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 13 Feb 2021, 5:39 pm

deye243 wrote:The slide lock is further back then where the bolt has to go to pick up another round nine times out of 10 if the slide will not lock back it is because he ammo is too soft a load and sometimes can be a week magazine spring

This
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 13 Feb 2021, 6:04 pm

Im putting money on the rounds, works fine with better ammo.

Cheers all-round for the info.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 14 Feb 2021, 11:15 am

its not a big deal as long as the gun works to shoot
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by CAVEMAN » 27 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm

Think ive found the real culprit. My grip sometimes pushes on the slide release meaning its not there to catch it on a empty mag. As more often then not might pen this one down to operator error.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by linkoln » 27 Feb 2021, 1:41 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Think ive found the real culprit. My grip sometimes pushes on the slide release meaning its not there to catch it on a empty mag. As more often then not might pen this one down to operator error.

Designers didn't plan for a modern thumbs forward grip so a lot of handguns have that big slide lock leaver which is easy to hit during operation.
You said your glock doesn't have the same problem which I assume is because it has a slide lock that is quite small. My sig has a tiny slide lock that is guarded and uncomfortable to release so that seems to be the solution to the problem at the moment.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Bello » 28 Feb 2021, 8:04 pm

Hi
I hand load all my pistol ammo and don’t have any issues, except for the 22LR pistol.
For plinking with the semi auto 22LR (Beretta), I find some batches of the bulk Winchester ammo to not consistently cycle the action.
With the more expensive 22 ammo I have not had any issues.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by snag » 28 Feb 2021, 8:30 pm

Yes, I experienced the same thing with my CZ Shadow 2. Worked perfectly from new, until I bought some really cheap blazer 115 grain ammo. Same as you, slide would not lock open. Went back to using 124 grain ammo and all perfect again. Handloading for it now with 124's and never have a problem.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 01 Mar 2021, 1:13 am

In the end a lot of this 9mm ammo is built to a price and some manufacturers will cut every corner they can because even if they save a tenth of a cent on every round, it adds up to a lot of dollars in the end.

That's one of the advantages of reloading, you know exactly what you are getting.

The Winchester White Box cheap stuff tends to be the worse. However their 124g NATO spec is just fine.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers