Pro-Shooter Trainer

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pro-Shooter Trainer

Post by Woden » 20 Apr 2021, 8:14 am

Any informed thoughts on this trainer? Anyone bought one? If so, how do you rate it? Aussie made too!

https://www.pro-shooter.com/product/new ... -series-2/
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Pro-Shooter Trainer

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Apr 2021, 9:45 am

It looks the goods, did you read the great review left by James?

I’m just getting back into pistol shooting and going through the hurry up and wait phase. I was happy to find this widget available locally given our local firearms regulations define a pistol as more or less anything that looks like a pistol making an overseas import of something similar look a bit iffy.

So what’s there to like about this?

On the good side when you pick it up has a similar feel to my old 1911. It’s a bit lighter, particularly at the muzzle end but it does have some heft thanks to a weighted magazine and a steel weight where the hammer group would be. The sights are fine, although the foresight is red – nothing a bit of marker pen won’t fix. It’s easy to adjust for windage pushing on the dovetail rear sight and both the windage and elevation adjustments on the laser work fine with the supplied Allen key. When you hit the target it falls over then pops back up, and that’s fun, so it does what it is supposed to.

So that’s the good stuff. Here’s a list of the things I don’t really love about it.

First and foremost there’s the trigger. I has a 5-6 pound pull and while the break is reasonably clean it grates on the uptake and then overtravels by a full 4 mm. The closest approximation would be feeling like the trigger on a really bad double action revolver. Actually, I had a SIG P226 that had a trigger almost this bad on DA and sold it for that reason. A target trigger it is not.

That said, this trigger issue is not entirely a bad thing. If you can keep this gun on target and during the follow through then just about any production gun, even with an unworked stock trigger, is going feel great.

Two target units are provided. They feel cheap and nasty in terms of plastic quality but work fine. You need 4 AAs (not supplied) for each one.

Several different clip on targets made out of foam board are provided but, for reasons that totally elude me, the hole for the laser sensor is NOT punched into the centre of the target. In mine, this is a full 10 mm below centre. WTF? 6mm above the sensor is a red diode that also sticks through the target and glows when the unit is powered up. FWIW this diode is still 4 mm below the centre of the target and is an annoying distraction. Also of note is the fact there are no black centre, white/beige outer targets like you see on every pistol range everywhere. I fixed this problem by overlaying an airpistol target, cutting one hole for the sensor (in the X ring, not the 9 ring!) and sticking it on. This also covers the distracting diode.

The last issue is the duration of the laser pulse. It’s too long. The reason this matters is that say you hold right, but push left with your triger finger. The laser will trace a line from 3 o’clock to 9 o’clock, go past the sensor, and register a hit for what should have been a miss. Once again this is not entirely a bad thing because if you shoot (particularly with both eyes open) you can see your “flinch/push/pull/lack of follow through” as a moving laser dot.

So all up, was it worth $279? For me yes, it’s a fun toy and not a bad training aid. When I finally pass the hurry up and wait stage I will use the targets with a laser cartridge in a real gun for dry fire, but even then the rules say I can’t have a real pistol in my office desk for a bit of lunchtime practice, whereas I can with this.

If you can get reliable hits with this at 10 m your technique will need to be pretty good. Last week I shot 270 @ 25m – this week I reckon I’ll be better…

Add a review
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Woden » 20 Apr 2021, 10:39 am

Yeah, I read that review. That's why I'm keen to read other thoughts as well to form a good overall picture before spending the dollars.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 20 Apr 2021, 4:54 pm

I had a look at this some back. Decided not to buy. Reason? I was coached by a very reliable and knowledgeable pistol shooter and that person suggested I practice in my own home, using dry fire cases, snap caps etc, use the corner of a room to aim for. What this does is get your hand/eye co-ordination up to scratch and assists in combining it with proper trigger control. I thought at first, it was a bit too touchy/feely, BUT gave it a go with my Pardini SP and after a bit of practice each day, the sights and trigger mechanics became natural. This will help if you are shooting a revolver, semi auto etc, but remember each handgun is different, but the theory of this type of exercise will assist you.
If you wish to buy this item then go for it, but most of the people I shoot with, wouldn't bother. Either way, happy shooting.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Macross » 20 Apr 2021, 8:05 pm

It may help with some muscle memory and perhaps help in getting trigger discipline down pat. I think dry fire with your actual pistol is much better. I got an iTarget Pro https://www.itargetpro.com/ and it is great because you dry fire with your gun, not a plastic replica of a 1911.
I shoot IPSC and have found my first double action shot is lots better since dry fire training with the iTarget system. I dont even think about my first double action shot any more where a few of the guys from my club are working out their whole stage plan base around their double action shot.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 21 Apr 2021, 8:23 am

I have the hand gun accessory for the play station and nearly all of the shooting games. That and COD puts me at the marksman level. :lol: :D
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Woden » 21 Apr 2021, 8:47 am

Macross wrote:It may help with some muscle memory and perhaps help in getting trigger discipline down pat. I think dry fire with your actual pistol is much better. I got an iTarget Pro https://www.itargetpro.com/ and it is great because you dry fire with your gun, not a plastic replica of a 1911.
I shoot IPSC and have found my first double action shot is lots better since dry fire training with the iTarget system. I dont even think about my first double action shot any more where a few of the guys from my club are working out their whole stage plan base around their double action shot.

Hey Macross, thanks for the link. I think this makes more sense.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 21 Apr 2021, 8:48 am

Larry wrote:I have the hand gun accessory for the play station and nearly all of the shooting games. That and COD puts me at the marksman level. :lol: :D

Yeah, but Larry...how often do you get to shoot monsters and aliens?? LOL!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 21 Apr 2021, 8:59 am

Macross wrote:It may help with some muscle memory and perhaps help in getting trigger discipline down pat. I think dry fire with your actual pistol is much better. I got an iTarget Pro https://www.itargetpro.com/ and it is great because you dry fire with your gun, not a plastic replica of a 1911.

After checking this system online via your link it appears it only works with centrefire pistols. I'm after a .22 pistol as I use .22 long arms. So, back to looking at pro-shooter I guess.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers