CZ Shadow 2 Vs Walther PPQ Q5 Match Champion

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

CZ Shadow 2 Vs Walther PPQ Q5 Match Champion

Post by tb65 » 26 Apr 2021, 9:26 am

Have shot a CZ Shadow 2 but not the Walther. I really liked the CZ but I understand that it is impossible to get at the moment because of some issue with customs not letting the magazines in. Nobody seems to know if and when this issue will be solved. I can get the Q5, which has a polymer frame, but don't know anyone who has one that I can try.

Should I get the Q5 if it feels OK in my hand, wait for the CZ or choose something else? Issue is that my club only has 22LR club pistols that I can use.

thanks
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: CZ Shadow 2 Vs Walther PPQ Q5 Match Champion

Post by rc42 » 26 Apr 2021, 10:13 am

It's difficult in Australia as we can't try before buying with firearms but both the Shadow 2 and PPQ Q5 SF have excellent reviews, I spent a lot of time on YouTube looking at reviews and comparisons and they were both highly praised with personal preference being the main deciding factor between them. So the good news is that you can't make a wrong decision.
There was a guy at our club that swapped his Q5 for a Shadow 2 as he didn't like the lightness of the polymer frame and found the Shadow to be a significant improvement, especially for recoil management but had the Walther been a Steel Frame version I don't think he would have changed it.

I ordered a Walther LP500 air pistol last year that had to be shipped from Germany, despite all of the "it will be here soon" promises it took 10 months to arrive so be careful with anything that's not Australian stock, you might also want to consider a used pistol, especially if this is your first center fire as you can re-sell it for almost no loss if you don't like it and you can wait to make a major purchase until you've had a chance to try somebody else's gun at the range.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 26 Apr 2021, 10:37 am

I have a 5 inch Walther PPQ which is about the same as the Q5 and well the groups are twice as tight as my Glock with a better trigger and sights.

If I was to do it again I'd get the steel frame but of course that came out right after I bought mine. Oh well. I'm considering putting in an Apex trigger on it.

Personally overall I prefer hammer fired pistols over striker pistols so I would probably like the CZ.

However if you want to shoot right now and get to it and the CZ simply isn't available, I'd get the Q5 and get busy. You can always buy the CZ sometime down the road. It's not like the Q5 is a piece of crap or something.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by linkoln » 26 Apr 2021, 2:23 pm

rc42 wrote:It's difficult in Australia as we can't try before buying with firearms

I was just thinking this today because I'm torn between two pistols it would be a matter of holding them and seeing which one points better but you can't do that here because no one has stock and they won't import for you unless you buy it.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by tb65 » 26 Apr 2021, 2:52 pm

Thanks to everyone for comments received so far. I saw a used Q5 Match online for about $1700 but I can get it new for $2000. I understand that the steel frame version is about $3k. I would buy used if I had a good understanding of how to assess a used firearm and had the opportunity to physically check it before buying. But I figure for the extra $300, it's not much extra to be getting something new with warranty.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 04 May 2021, 8:34 am

linkoln wrote:
rc42 wrote:It's difficult in Australia as we can't try before buying with firearms

I was just thinking this today because I'm torn between two pistols it would be a matter of holding them and seeing which one points better but you can't do that here because no one has stock and they won't import for you unless you buy it.

Good point. This is why I'm sweating on another Shot Show post-covid. I believe you can see and feel a range of firearms which makes a purchase more positive. Can't wait for the next one.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers